1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

[Magery] Need help polishing off character

Discussion in 'UO Spellcaster' started by Gumbyizer, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Gumbyizer

Gumbyizer Guest

I am running my mage at

120 magery
    120 EI
    120 Med
    120 Spell weaving

I am stuck on what to do with my last 3 skills.

I have 100 inscription on a soulstone, and I was reading that protection does not allow spells to be disrupted. Is the spells effect time based, ends when hit once, or does it last until cast again to take off? Tell me if my thinking is off here, but with protection on, there is no reason to have wrestling.

I usually play this guy away from the action, so spell evasion or blocking if possible would be the way to go. I saw that tactics or parry or wrestling combos help block spells, but can not remember where I read it.

Should I just go 120 Resist, 120 Wrestling, 100 inscription or replace one with tactics or parry?

Any advice?
  2. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Oct 14, 2007
    protection has a penalty, it 0s out your fc and also lowers your resists spells.
    i think it also lowers your phy resist as well..

if this guy is pvm, then wrestling may not be needed but it is helpful.
    you can always use a mage wep for the dci but then you cant hold a spell book.

the last 3 skills can be anything really.
    taming, lore, vet
    music, disco, provo
    swords, tacts, anat
    hiding, stealth, ninja

depends on what you want to build and the purpose of the char.

if you want to 120 everything tho, you will need +skill jewelry to get 7 skills.
  3. Gumbyizer

Gumbyizer Guest

This character is PvM. I also ment, which two skills between inscription, wrestling, and resist, should I pick. sorry for the confusion.
  4. Arch Magus

Arch Magus Guest

Definitely go with Wrestling and Resist if you intend to keep Spellweaving.

10SDI from Scribe won't net you near as much survivability as a defensive skill and Resist would. And you can carry a spellbook with great mods, and a DCI shield or the museum 1/2 Chaos shield without losing defense. Pick up the extra SDI from items.

Run without protection. It's too slow and you need to learn to cast on your toes. With this setup, you can be right up in the meat of the fight with your team, and even lure tougher guys if need be.
  5. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

May 12, 2008
    I agree with AM. Go with wrestle and resist. That's my template for my weaver/mage, and it's nearly unstoppable in PvM. Between my slayer book collection and my high SDI on the suit, I rarely don't get to be one of the top damagers too.

If you have the right suit, I suppose you could use a one handed mage weapon with no fast cast penalty and keep inscription, but it isn't really that handy. Between tree form, arcane empowerment and all the other benifits you'll gain from your suit, you'll never miss an extra 10% damage from mage spells.
  6. GFY

GFY Guest

If you wan to go with all 120's you only have 2 slots left for skills not 3.
    120 X 6 = 720
    And I agree go with wrestling and resist.
  7. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Oct 9, 2008
    I'm not gonna beat a dead horse to death :yell: since...I agree with the others :p, but I strongly advise against using protection...all the time. It does have it's uses as others might attest, but also a quick note that if you have say 120 Magic Resistance, with protection on it will fall 35%. So basically you will have a character with 85 resist. Not a big deal perhaps to most people, but I like my resists. Wrestling is a nice DEFENSIVE skill for a mage to have. I highly recommend it.
  8. Boogieman

Boogieman Guest

Or one of the new spell books the generals drop - DCI 10%, SDI 30%, FCR 2, LMC 5%
    if you're lucky to get a maxxed out one.