1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with mage template

Discussion in 'UO Napa Valley' started by Lord Sturm, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Lord Sturm

Lord Sturm Guest

I am considering building a mage for pvm, mainly Doom and champ spawns.
    This is the template I am considering;

mage, eval, med, spellweaving, resist spells, scribe
    rest in wrestling more than likely.

Any thoughts?

p.s. Be gentle lol

----Sturm

2. Ailish

Ailish Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Not sure about Doom, but that template *can* be effective in a spawn, but it takes alot of mana management and a high level arcane focus (5-6).

3. Gus of Llanowar

Stratics Veteran

i have almost the same template. but in my case i scratched the scribe and added tactics. i also equip my mage with swords of prosperity. with it being a mage weapon of -0 and i am legendary mage it also grats me 120 swordsmanship plus gives u 200 luck. fire spells are almost useless in doom except for dark father. it gets rough with the lesser bosses cause most are resistant to fire. as ailish said an arcane focus of 5 or 6 is awesome. im also legendary in spellweaveing. last month when doing tragedy i had an arcane focus of 5 and was hitting her for almost 500 points of damage with word of death. WoD is the best PvM spell in game when u learn how to use it.

4. noxyoursox

noxyoursox Guest

Make sure u max ure sdi!

5. Pickaxe Pete

Pickaxe Pete Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I suggest anatomy instead of wrestling to save a few points for the same defense benefit. Wrestling is only good for PvP (disarm). Most folks are going necromage these days, but SW is probably good for PvM if you have SW friends (or enough accounts) to focus with.

SDI 50+ is important, and super slayer scrappers are the 'ultimate' but pricey.

6. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Sounds almost exactly like my Mage. GM Magery/120 Eval/GM Med/GM SW/GM Inscrip/GM Wrest/GM Resist. I'd say Wrest is more useful than Anatomy for a Mage, since it has offensive capacities as well as defensive. Pisses people off when i Para Punch them and cast Gift of Renewal on myself or Essence of Wind. That Para Punch can be the difference between life and death in PvM too.

7. dielock

dielock Guest

My Mage is my main guy. Built for PVM only and he pretty much kicks butt anywhere he goes (his armor is crappy so he does his share of dying). He can solo greater dragons (although they take a long time to kill by himself) and be a great help in doom or any other major spawn.
    120 Magery
    120 Peace
    120 Prov.
    120 Music.
    120 Eval.
    115 Med.

He has 45 SDI. 130 HP, 150 Med, 10 Dex and a bunch of mana regen.

8. Pickaxe Pete

Pickaxe Pete Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I have wrestling myself, but recommend anatomy for PvM to save some skill points that can be used elsewhere to greater benefit (imo).... wrestling is great for PvP though.

(Anat+Eval+20/2) So with 120 Eval, all one would need is GM Anatomy to get the equivalent of 120 Wrestling (minus the specials of course).

Another stat I try to get to at least 30 (and preferably 40) on 'elite' suits is LMC. Very nice to have.