1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Need Tech help: starting 2D with UOAssist & Kaspersky

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Basara, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

My ISP just switched its software from another source to a Kaspersky-based application.

Now, I can start 2D without UO Assist, but starting it WITH UOAssist, causes the launch to disappear into the electronic winds after patching UO (I don't get the "UO is loading" bar, and UO never starts - I can try to restart immediately, so I know the processes have been terminated).

Anyone able to give me some advice?

The actual software is Earthlink Protection Control Center 4

2. trammelite

trammelite Guest

lol - i gave up on it after several attempts and after the subscription for kaspersky ended, i purchased norton and all went fine.
    i assume it has something to do with the suspicious activity observation, because it told me that uoa conquered the uo process, but even so i allowed the activity on request, it did never work.
    fortunately, uoa isnt working with KR so i could live with starting ol' 2D without uoa for the rare occasions i needed to use it where KR has issues.

3. Basara

Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Addendum: It doesn't appear to be the firewall aspects of the software blocking it - It still won't go past client patching with the firewall off, so it's something in the anti-virus part of the security software.

4. They must be using the old version of the Kaspersky engine, since that problem was fixed in the latest version.

To work around it, when you run UO Assist (make sure it's on the update page before you launch the UO client), go to "Settings" on the bottom right hand corner of the UOA patcher screen, and change the method to Method 2, or Method 1 if it's already on 2.

[​IMG]

5. Basara

It was already set on method 1 and wasn't working - but it seems that maybe setting on method two worked (I'll know next restart).

Another potential workaround I found was have the AV not start up at startup, start UO Assist to get to the UO Account sign-in screen then start the AV before continuing with the login process.

6. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

If you go here Kaspersky docs page you should be able to get a PDF manual for whatver version of Kaspersky you've got bundled with your ISP. It sounds like you need to add UOA as a trusted application but there are other settings you can change to troubleshoot a program being blocked. It's ages since I switched to Linux so I can't remember Kaspersky well enough, but I think UOA was one of the packages my version asked me about when I first tried to run it.

If you're still struggling, I'd get in touch with your ISP or better still Kaspersky themselves and see what they say. But I'm sure it'll be in the manual somewhere. For some reason I couldn't get the 2009 PDF to download here, but my con's been a bit awkward tonight ;)

Wenchy

7. Basara

First thing I did was set all the UO-related programs as trusted.

Switching from Method 1 of loading UOA to method 2 seems to have worked, unless it id working because I started UOA first, then the Antivirus.

The Kaspersky software is the new version of Earthlink's software; Earthlink's previous software was based on Authentium & Sana (and would only let me set ONE of the two client's uopatch.exe as trusted, and had issues with a number of programs that ship with new PCs, like Roxio's, so I was really looking forward to getting rid of the old software). The difference between the two is like night and day.

Earthlink is actually my former ISP, but I pay $10 a month for it to piggyback on my cable provider to keep all my web pages and e-mail accounts (not to mention the free software my cable company is too small to offer), which has saved me a lot of headaches - like when the cable system was sold from a national chain to a small one that was expanding into a regional one (and allowed me to keep my e-mail accounts through the cable providers totally isolated and secret from the vast majority of my web uses). It also gives me 10 or so hours a month for emergencies, should something happen to where I have to use dial-up somewhere (like with my laptop, or if the cable goes down and I have to go to a friend's, and use their phone line to maintain my vendors in game).

8. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Mmm, might be best contacting tech support for your isp then, they should know enough about their apps to troubleshoot them (I hope)

Wenchy

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Basara,

If it is Kaspersky, I know exactly what the issue it and how to fix it:

1) Right click the Kaspersky systray icon
    2) Select settings
    3) Enable compatibility mode
    4) Reboot (doesn't work without rebooting)

Also see this thread:
    http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=101577