1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Network Problem

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Spree, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I changed internet providers and they put replaced my router with their combo modem/router. Now i can't get my printer to work It has IP of 192.168.0.2 the computer is showing that address too but doesn't see it. I deleted it off one of the computers and tried to re add it. the computer cant find it. I tried shutting every thing down. to get a new id. The only thing i can think of since the modem has a wireless it has a mac and wep key printed on it do I have to add any of those numbers to printer?

2. shipwrek

shipwrek Guest

If your printer is wireless, you need to add the SSID of the new wireless network... it may need a password too if your provider set it up that way.

3. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

no the Printer is on Cat 5

4. Turtle

Turtle Guest

5. shipwrek

shipwrek Guest

You shouldn't need to mess with the MAC or Wep then.

You mentioned above:

When you say the computer has that address too, do you mean they both have 192.168.0.2? Or does the computer have something like 192.168.0.3?

The last octet needs to be unique. Also, check the default route for both the printer and the computer. They should both point to your router (eg: 192.168.0.1?)

Another thing to check is the netmask. It needs to be the same for all your devices on that subnet, something like 255.255.255.0, or it may be 255.255.0.0 (the first is preferred but they need to be the same on all your devices)

To verify your network layer, try to "ping" your printer. On windows, hit Start->Run->cmd that will open a dos shell. Then in that window use the ping command to bounce packets off of your printer, to verify you can reach it. If your printers IP address is 192.168.0.20, the command would be "ping 192.168.0.20". You would then see the time it takes to get to there. If it works, you know something is screwy with your driver or printer setup. If it doesn't work (unreachable, etc...) you know it's the network.

6. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

The printer works It worked before the new router and i hooked it up with USB and it worked. It just something with the geek code that stopping it from working.

7. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Spree,

Network printers usually are set with a static IP (one that never changes), and PCs are usually set for DHCP to get an IP address from the router, if it is enabled as a DHCP server.

Depending on your printer model, it probably has either a web based utility to allow you go in and change the IP address manually or even better, a display right on the printer to let you change this without having to use a computer.

Shipwreck is right, all your devices must have unique IP addresses on the SAME SUBNET to be able to talk to each other and avoid problems (i.e. with a duplicate IP address). This means every device has to have the same subnet mask (the network address is derived from the subnet mask). For your private network, use the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

If your network ID is 192.168.0.0, I would make the router IP address 192.168.0.1, and the printer 192.168.0.2. I would set the DHCP settings in the router to hand out addresses in the range 192.168.0.50 - 192.168.0.150.

Different manufacturers pick different default private network IDs for their products "out of the box", so the fact that it used to work with another router doesn't mean anything, the old router may have had a different network ID and the printer was on the same one.

-Skylark