1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Dawn's Music Box gears

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Pinco, May 28, 2010.

1. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The new gears has a bronze color and are easy to see ;)

Here is the full list:

Common Gear:
    Battle on Stones
    Castle
    Docktown
    Festival
    Gargoyle Queen
    Generic Combat
    Holy City
    Honor
    Medieval
    Queen Palace
    Royal City
    Void

Uncommon:
    Codex Shrine
    Human Level
    Login Loop
    Northern Forest
    Stygian Abyss

Rare:
    Primeval Lich
    Slasher of Veil
    Stygian Dragon

2. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Pinco, just out of curiosity, when did you get the first of these new gears and are you getting many of the older gears as well?

3. Mesanna

Mesanna UO Producer | Dark OverLady
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Little more information about the new Gears:

1. Specific creatures in SA are (Ter-Mur, Underworld and Stygian Abyss) drop the new SA gears.
    2. You can get a Sutek's Dirty Gear when you complete the quest from Sutek
    - The Sutek's Dirty Gear changes to a random music gear when used.

Mesanna

4. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Fantastic! Thank you, *runs out with his GD*

5. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Well the drop rate for the new gears must be pretty high, if people already have 2 Rares from them!

But can you confirm if the old drop rates have been changed please Mesanna ? If not, it may be worth doing Sutek and trying for a Random chance at the old ones, as I still haven't seen any Rares at all... and is there a chance of the Dirty becoming the "Wanderer" rare could you tell us? ;)

Edit: Also my thread recording the drop rates of the normal gears appears to have been deleted... although it's hard to tell with everything coming up as an Attack Site at the moment :( Anyone know what happened to it?

6. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

A timer needs to be added to Sutek's quest now. It makes getting music box gears way too easy for those who are good at it.

7. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

I dont know, the quest takes 2-3 minutes, sutek is always far away from his lab, cannot be scripted because sutek wont still in the same place....
    I think could work as is. There are very few people who cares about music box and a completed box give no advantages (change the music while playing and 90% of the players has the sounds turned off) :)

8. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Usually for me getting a single music gear has taken 5-15 minutes, as even on paragon golems they just don't drop that often. 2-3 is a heck of a lot less than that, and its always guarenteed at the end of the quest as well.

9. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Believe me, this is true... No one cares, sadly. I tried for weeks to sell a completed Dawn Music box (Common/uncommon) and only one person even showed any interest. And as the drop rate for gears if unchanged (as the results Tina and I were seeing seemed to indicate) is still insanely high considering just how many of those you'll have to duplicate countless times over to get the single set. So anything which makes it a bit easier, or at least different[/i[ for a while is going to be absolutely welcome!

Also... post what mobs you're getting gears from please people!

10. Which SA creatures drop them?

11. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

One of the vendors at my house on LS (owned by a friend) is always stocked with them and selling constantly. People don't want full music boxes, they want the gears so they can finish their own ones for themselves. Its no wonder you couldn't sell that thing.

So far it seems the new Leather Wolf spawn does, but for some reason the Clockwork Scorpions don't (or I was very unlucky while killing them). My guesses for other Abyss creatures that drop them would be bosses and gremlins/goblins.. but i've yet to be able to test any of those.

12. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Yeah, make it even harder for those of us with , you know, actual jobs, that can't sit logged in 23 hrs and 45 minutes per day. Perfect. Excuse me while I go and play 17 other online games at the same time....rolleyes:

13. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Just ran Sutek myself (there are abandoned Mechanical Life books all over Europa, so someone else has been at it recently), and he gave a normal Common gear when cleaned up, so we know it's the old ones included at least... not sure I'll bother farming him for now to see if SA drops too, time to go find SA spawn that definitely will instead!

14. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

*does the dirty gear dance*

really fond of Ambrosia but is excited to hear the new gears too.

15. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

I got 6 new uncommons off the leather wolves. The 4 mentioned by Pinco and 2 dupes.

Killed a lot of stone sliths, silver serpents and highland bouras in the area too, no drops from any of those.

16. Lore Master

Lore Master Guest

where do i find Sutek so i can do Sutek's quest please?

17. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Sutek is next to the Cavern of the Discarded in the Abyss, go via the Tomb Of Kings entrance, and he's in the South West.

As for gears.... still they torment me! I've killed about 40 Wolves so far, and to no avail! Not a single gear!

18. Lore Master

Lore Master Guest

ok ty very much.

19. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

we have 2 more tracks to discover:
    FOUND: Primeval Lich (RARE)
    FOUND: Stygian Abyss (UNCOMMON)

Are they rare? uncommon maybe? or common (rarer than rare tracks)?

EDIT: 1 More remaining!

20. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Not sure, but someone mentioned they got the Primeval Lich Gear from the chap of the same name in the abyss on Europa about an hour ago...

21. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

you can get it from the same place of the others too ;)

22. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Wooty! I've gone back to Sutek after doing nearly 100 wolves, and only getting one of the new gears from them; Codex (Uncommon). And so far Sutek's dropped 1 common old, 1 common new and the Rare Primeval gear so far... probably worth practising this over the weekend then!

23. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

Any word yet on wether or not Sutek drops the Wanderer gear?

I was just curious.

If my memory serves me correctly the Wanderer gear and the Redeemer sword were "suppost" to be available in the SA expansion. LOL I'm sure we could write a book on suppost to bes, should've been and so forth.

Still it would be nice IF the Wanderer were made available throuh Sutek.

24. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

no, the wanderer still not available (i've not found it). However a full music box is now made by 76 tracks (with the wanderer or 75 without)

25. Adol

Adol Certifiable

More woo-hoo! On the 14th Sutek run through, he dropped the Rare "Ultima VII Serpent Isle Combat"... and Nimauq who is here running it with me says he got the Rare "Valoria" too. So it seems Sutek isn't bound by the actual rarity values... a bug, or deliberate? Who knows, but we're grinding the gears outta him!

26. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Off to bed after the first nights grinding; out of 30 gears, I got roughly 1/2 of them as the new ones, but a huge number of Uncommon in the old; and a second of the rares, this time Salim's Bar. Pretty pleased with that; who knows, maybe Wanderer will turn up all the same... :p

However I'm not too impressed with the new tunes, having listened to them all before bed; firstly because most of them only run for around 10 seconds, which is sad. And secondly, there's a bug with some of them; "Battle On Stones" and "Northern Forests" play the same track, which I think is "Battle On..." as it's clearly a "Stones" remix. So "Northern" points to the wrong file :(

27. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Could someone move Sutek on Drachenfels please to his house area? Right now he is walking way way east near Slashers Palace. :(

28. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

At least one of the Grey goblin types in the underworld drops the gears.

I got 4 gears down there, and as per normal luck, 2 of the 4 (first & third) were of the same tune.

29. Steelhead

Steelhead Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I got what looks like one of the old music gears but it is a rare I have not seen before called "Selim's Bar (Strike Commander)". Where did this come from?

30. Basara

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

It's long been an "Easter egg" in the music files of UO. It's from the old EA game "Strike Commander", and is one of the original 3 Rare gears.

From Wikipedia:

Strike Commander is a flight sim computer game for MS-DOS released in 1993 by the now defunct Origin Systems and designed by Chris Roberts. Its 3D graphics-engine used both gouraud shading and texture-mapping on both aircraft-models and terrain, an impressive feat at the time. Significant plot elements were presented through in-game cut-scene animations, a hallmark storytelling vehicle from Chris Robert's previous Wing Commander games. The game has been called "Privateer on Earth," due to the mercenary roleplaying in the game. The game was mass released in 1994 as part of a Creative Labs bundle pack with Syndicate Plus, Ultima VIII: Pagan, and Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi.[1]
    The game takes place in a fictional near-future (2011) where significant political changes have occurred in the world. It revolves around a group of crack mercenary fighter pilots in a group known as the 'Wildcats', based in Turkey who fly F-16's. The player accepts missions from interesting characters and gets paid for doing them which allows the player to buy more weapons. The missions involve flying an F-16 and, in the last missions of the game, the more advanced F-22 and F-23, and accomplishing certain objectives.
    Other simulators, such as the F-22 series from Novalogic have been compared with Strike Commander because of their simplified flight model and emphasis on graphic detail, which makes them relatively similar in terms of philosophy.

One of the neat things about this floppy-era game is that you could buy a separate floppy, that replaced the text conversations in the game's cut scenes with voice-acted dialogue....

31. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Only two more gears to go for a completely full music box...

I just need Medieval and Stygian Dragon... :gee:

32. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Now? Now that you have got yours?

33. Slickjack

Slickjack Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
    Stratics Veteran

Did a sample size on Atlantic's Sutek of 12, here are the results:

Common:
    Yew (Positive)
    Minoc (Positive)
    Valoria (Positive)
    Void - new SA Gear
    Medieval - new SA Gear

Uncommon:
    Elf City
    Paroxysmus Lair
    Good vs. Evil (U9)
    Northern Forest - new SA Gear
    Login Loop - new SA Gear
    Human Level - new SA Gear

Rare:
    Primeval Lich - new SA Gear

Half new, half old, decent mix of the rarity types...

34. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

no need a sample size, sutek can give all tracks.

35. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Sutek realy need to be be moved back on Drachenfels. He is moving further and further away from his home. :(

36. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie

wanderer gear is from book of truth event.

37. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

Beware, Dirty Gear's track has explicite lyrics.

38. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

yes, I know. I mean that now is not available, simply you can buy it from someone or stay without :p

39. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

Hey Frarc!
    You might want to to try paging a GM on that. They are the ones that will have to move Sutek to his lab. :thumbup1:

40. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

I did. But i got a message that i had to post on Stratics so that the Devs could read it and do something about it. :)

41. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Well I know I for one have spent quite awhile looking for Sutek on GL's... but I did eventually find him..... wandering around near the forgotten servants.... joy....

He does tend to wander near and mostly far from his lab...

But seriously..... what are they to do.... make it super easy for you?

Why not just give out the gears on a vendor?

Yes it's a bit of a burden and pain in the..... to go find him as he keeps wandering about... but that adds to the "challenge".... And keeps you from doing the quest overly quickly I suppose.

42. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

How about that its on all shards the same? On Napa Sutek always teleport back to the house if he is a few steps away from it. :p

Oh and maybe you don't know, the quest is to find the items in his house, not to run half a dungeon first too the house and back :p

43. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

I used to spend a lot of time killing golems for music gears. It was very time consuming and I didn't think I would ever get a full set of gears. Thanks to Sutek questing, my boyfriend's collection will be complete and I am shy just two gears. Woohoo!

44. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Certifiable

I have never seen gears on anything I've killed so this is great news to hear Sutek is giving a quest for them.
    Now, would be awesome if they add all the UO:Odessy songs. And add the various versions of Bucc's den, Cove, Nu'jelum, Vesper... aren't there like 3 versions of these songs from UO? (I'm not talking about the Ultima 9 CD). Seems these towns have changed songs many times over the years. I want ALL the songs, past & present.

45. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

Thank you DevilsOwn for helping me with one of the gears I needed. I am now done! :)

46. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

:) most welcome, Shelleybean!

47. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Certifiable

Is the Dawns music box supposed to be sortable tracks? It doesn't show up on EC. I've locked it down and kept in my pack and i can't see any sort arrows.

48. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Right click the locked down box, chose the new option.

No, it doesn't make sense for it not to be a visible part of the normal menu if you are the house owner... And the 'sorting' is the most basic one could imagine...They could have spent 5 more mins and given us some preset options (sort alphabetically, rarity, etc..)

49. Basara

The streaking RNG showed its ugly face again to me....

I decided to show a couple of people the Sutek quest (one of whom could barely move around quick enough to get the quest done, but it was safer for them than combat, until their personal health issues come around).

I did 30 quests of my own.

Of the 30, there were 4 old uncommons, 6 new uncommons, 3 old rares and 1 new rare.

Of the old uncommons, two were alike

Of the new uncommons, I had 3 of one type, 2 of a second, and 1 of a third.

Of the old rares, ALL THREE were the Ultima VII gear.

50. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Now there are two Suteks on Drachenfels.