1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Furniture Needed, Old Reasons Long Gone...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by RaDian FlGith, Mar 17, 2008.

1. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Okay... for the longest time, crafters have been wanting to be able to build things like:

The large 2x3 dining tables
    1x3 long tables (just like we've got, but one tile longer)
    Benches (both the small ones for tables and large park ones)
    Display cases
    Fancy, long tables
    Sign hangers
    (Not sure, but signs would be nice, especially for just putting on walls)

IE: The stuff that was recently allowed into the game as rubble.

Now, I know the rubble collectors will start the chant that "making those craftables devalues my rares."

Well, yet again, something that should be craftable has been introduced AS a rare. It's FAR TIME that things like this become craftable.

Here's the regular plea... please put in some of the new craftables that were recently put in as rubble.

Thanks!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have all of that crap as rubble (I hauled a ass load of rubble out) and I am 100% for this.

There are TONS of items in UO that are still uncraftable for absolutely no reason. Except that they are now "rares" which is a totally stupid reason. I have rares of this variety, and I would be more than happy to see any of them become craftable. Because while I might loose some value on my pixels, it would be good for the game.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I like the idea of the larger dining table, in the past only way to have a larger table was with stone ones placed side by side. But the random ore sure makes it hard to mine for the color stone you wish to have.

4. Return2UO

Return2UO Guest

At the risk of being lynched by a load of rares collectors...

All of town deco stuff should be available either from vendors; potted plants and deco heritage items creating a nice gold sink and all NPC building furniture should be able to be made.

5. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

At the risk of being lynched by a load of rares collectors...

All of town deco stuff should be available either from vendors; potted plants and deco heritage items creating a nice gold sink and all NPC building furniture should be able to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bad idea.
    The rares aspect of UO is one of its stronger points. Actually having to spend money to decorate also stimulates people to decorate. I for one would throw away my 200 potted plants if they were obtainable.
    And still I see a lot of great houses with normal carpenter furniture and player grown plants. I don't really see a need to harm the rares community again just to add a few items that will end up on the floor of wbb in a matter of days and might be used by a few dozen people.

There are thousands of cheap items to decorate a house. Do we really need a few more? And harm some of the most dedicated people at that? I know that's a risky statement, but the big rares collectors are among the most active people in the game.

'Normal' players already got open books, vases, viles, necro regs, skillet and the list goes on.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, some variety in wood furniture, would be most welcome. Sometimes you want things to line up with other items on your floor, and you just can't make it happen due to the limitations of the very few crafted table types we can make that can be manipulated with the deco tool. Also, we have few choices in "styles" - the tables we can make from wood and turn with the deco tool are very plain and "rustic" in nature. The SE low tables have a different look but you don't always want a low table nor do you always want a stone monstrosity. And don't even get me started on thrones not able to face in all directions. [​IMG] Even if they had to come in the form of an add-on deed when crafted, if it gave us variety in direction/tile placement, and we could choose direction from the deed menu (like with some of the Heritage Collection items) I'd be happy with that as well.

And while we are wishing...MARBLE!!! We should be able to quarry marble with our stone mining specialization, and use our stone crafting carpentry specialization skill to create those fancy marble benches, planters, and statuary that are in the game towns. We've said before, the stone crafting &amp; glassblowing systems have such a feeling of tacked on/afterthought, but in theory they are such neat concepts. [​IMG]

-Skylark

7. Black Majick

Black Majick Certifiable

I would be happy with counters. I have always wanted them. Basically small tables, but a bit bigger and they connect to each other (or they appear too). Makes for a great way to display items. If you do not know what I am talking about go to your local tavern look into an old patio house. They got them in the main room dividing it.

8. RaDian FlGith

RTLFC:

Marble -- Yes, marble stuff too should be craftable.

Potted plants -- Okay, with those, I'm actually in agreement that those particular ones SHOULD be kept rare. However, what I WOULD like to see is something even better. Improvement to the Gardening system. Add some more plants that aren't even in yet. And then... (and this is the best part)... combine gardening and stonecrafting. You stonecraft a vase specifically designed for particular plants (say three or four different styles), and when you combine a vase with a plant (from the gardening system), you get a potted version of the plant. This creates a whole new system of potted plants WITHOUT using any of the existing artwork, AND without devaluing any of the rares currently available. Of course, this system would take some building, but wow... it'd give a greater purpose to stonecrafting, AND add something new to the dynamic of gardening. Only thing I'm not sure how it would work would be different color base vases (obviously we could do one color vase with a colored plant, which would be fine with me at any rate).

All of the other craftables mentioned -- yeah... it's about time.

It's really about time for stuff like this. And for large tables and such, maybe you get the option of building a 3x3 max size. The counters from the old forges are DEFINITELY a must. As are the display cases. BOTH long over due.

Well, here's hoping anyway.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Crafters should have the ability to make unique items in the game. I also think it would be very cool if occasionally (rarely) they could make something that had a highly unusual property (like a unique color or design) which would give it value.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Add to that the ability to craft a **round** table, even if chairs may only be placed at 4 cardinal points to not look wierd. Small round = 3 tiles across, medium = 4 tiles across, large = 5 tiles across.

We have round fountains in the Heritage set, we have round abbatoirs, round arcane circles. Why not round tables?

11. Oh yes please!!!! I agree 100 million percent!

I too have tons of rubble(tables, benches, tents, all that stuff) and you can devalue it any old day, no problem!

Please can we have this?

12. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

RTLFC:

Marble -- Yes, marble stuff too should be craftable.

Potted plants -- Okay, with those, I'm actually in agreement that those particular ones SHOULD be kept rare. However, what I WOULD like to see is something even better. Improvement to the Gardening system. Add some more plants that aren't even in yet. And then... (and this is the best part)... combine gardening and stonecrafting. You stonecraft a vase specifically designed for particular plants (say three or four different styles), and when you combine a vase with a plant (from the gardening system), you get a potted version of the plant. This creates a whole new system of potted plants WITHOUT using any of the existing artwork, AND without devaluing any of the rares currently available. Of course, this system would take some building, but wow... it'd give a greater purpose to stonecrafting, AND add something new to the dynamic of gardening. Only thing I'm not sure how it would work would be different color base vases (obviously we could do one color vase with a colored plant, which would be fine with me at any rate).

All of the other craftables mentioned -- yeah... it's about time.

It's really about time for stuff like this. And for large tables and such, maybe you get the option of building a 3x3 max size. The counters from the old forges are DEFINITELY a must. As are the display cases. BOTH long over due.

Well, here's hoping anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great ideas in this thread especially your idea for gardening. Too many rares shouldn't be rares. Anything that can be crafted or grown, except for special event items and a few other select items, should be available normally. 50 mil for a Yucca that should be on the plant menu is ridiculous. Also, they really need to add more of the missing housing tiles.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

When an item goes from being rare to a common decoration, it greatly decreases the desire to display that item in your house. An excellent example of this is the alchemy items made with Glassblowing. How many people here even have one of those setup in their house (besides the hourglass). Adding another type of table to the 2 dozen already available isn't going to do much.

I think what people should be pushing for is that idea to add the ability for interior decorators to move items in the 4 different directions. That would open up huge new decorating potential more than a display case ever would.

14. Return2UO

Return2UO Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Bad idea.
    The rares aspect of UO is one of its stronger points. Actually having to spend money to decorate also stimulates people to decorate. I for one would throw away my 200 potted plants if they were obtainable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Selfish reply.
    UO is at a stage now where stuff like this should be available, not cheaply but available from NPCs and not limited to 'rares' vendors or the uber rich. If your reply is truthful and you would rather throw away stuff should 'normal' players be able to get it then I feel sorry for you. Rather than enjoying a game with others you appear to want to prove that you better in someway.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Potted plants were once available to every single player who desired them. They were even tossed on the ground at banks. But due to that being such a long time ago they have now greatly increased in value. I don't see why players today have a right to obtain items worth a great deal because they were only available for a limited duration a long time ago. For example Phoenix Armor is another commonly requested item to be made available again, even though it is purely decorative.

As I said already, people only want these items because they are *rare*. The moment they become common they are no longer worth displaying in your house. Why haven't the potted trees given out at Christmas 3-4 years ago become worth anything or desired? Because they are not rare.

16. Nine Dark Moons

Nine Dark Moons Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

<font color="#DC143C">Puts in a good word for expanding the gardener's list of growable plants to include some of the awesome "shrubble", like lily pads, shrooms, grasses, fan plants, morning glories, and trees! (trees should take a month to mature in their pots instead of a week like normal plants). </font>

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ah to no one in particular...

Are we saying the world is so limited that we can only make new crafting by using graphics to rare items.

How about a compromise?

Add 250 new craftable items that are brand new and not RECYCLED graphics.

Toss in a chance to craft a MUSUEM QUALITY what have you. 1 in 10000. When locked down it sparkles.

There is so much they can do. Lets now argue. Think beyond the outside of the box.

18. Nine Dark Moons

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

combine gardening and stonecrafting. You stonecraft a vase specifically designed for particular plants (say three or four different styles), and when you combine a vase with a plant (from the gardening system), you get a potted version of the plant.

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="#DC143C">Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome idea [​IMG] </font>

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I want to grow my own Mushrooms. *grins*

20. Nine Dark Moons

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Toss in a chance to craft a MUSUEM QUALITY what have you. 1 in 10000. When locked down it sparkles.

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="#DC143C">I want to craft furniture that sparkles!</font>

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree 100% about new furnature..... while your at it..... UPDATE the clothing too!.... And finish putting in the 100's of missing tiles we could be using into the house design tool.

22. Olahorand

Olahorand Slightly Crazed

<blockquote><hr>

As I said already, people only want these items because they are *rare*. The moment they become common they are no longer worth displaying in your house. Why haven't the potted trees given out at Christmas 3-4 years ago become worth anything or desired? Because they are not rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right, Rares and other ingame stuff (houses etc) keeps a several longterm players ingame (or at least paying their subscriptions). So those are a motivation factor, which should not be underestimated.

The Christmas trees are a symbol for a trend, which makes the gifts rather tediuos - the huge item flood.
    Instead of limiting the gifts to one per account or maybe one or a certain number per account per shard each character is flooded with almost the same stuff.
    This makes the wish to trade and collect really pointless. (Although also these numbers did not bring me a white greeting card last year valentines day or this year a white stuffy with about 200 chars, which collected these things over the shards.)
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

23. RaDian FlGith

<blockquote><hr>

When an item goes from being rare to a common decoration, it greatly decreases the desire to display that item in your house. An excellent example of this is the alchemy items made with Glassblowing. How many people here even have one of those setup in their house (besides the hourglass). Adding another type of table to the 2 dozen already available isn't going to do much.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, I find that it has completely the opposite effect. When decorative tools are available, people feel more free to craft their house as they desire it to look, and not necessarily fill it up with strange junk just because they had the opportunity to swipe something during an event. The glassblowing items are probably more widely displayed now than they ever were when a handful of them existed on each shard. Sure... maybe it's not as widespread as say stone tables, but it's far wider spread than the four or five lucky people that used to have them.
    <blockquote><hr>

I think what people should be pushing for is that idea to add the ability for interior decorators to move items in the 4 different directions. That would open up huge new decorating potential more than a display case ever would.

[/ QUOTE ]Except, of course, that neither client functions in that manner. Sure, they could be programmed to do so, but wow, there are SOOOO many other things that need to be tackled before a N/S and E/W pixel-by-pixel movement system that doesn't even exist in the game yet (and yeah, the same could be said for my gardening idea, I do realize that). And, really, a display case would still be something many people would want in combination with your proposed idea, because, well, to be frank, it would allow things to be nicely displayed.

24. RaDian FlGith

<blockquote><hr>

As I said already, people only want these items because they are *rare*.

[/ QUOTE ]Right... so no one's ever used the decorator to make a plant look like it was potted via a bowl of soup or a vase or some other object?

And look how common garden plants are. No one ever uses those for anything anymore, do they?

Above and beyond all of this, I do agree that current rares SHOULD be maintained. However, I think making EQUIVELANT items is an appropriate answer. Then the rares are still rare and desirable, but not a class of items that no one can have access to without millions and millions and millions of gold.

Honestly... rares collectors will collect a table because it has the word "[Exceptional]" on it. Most people are just fine displaying "a table" in their homes.

25. RaDian FlGith

<blockquote><hr>

you are right, Rares and other ingame stuff (houses etc) keeps a several longterm players ingame (or at least paying their subscriptions). So those are a motivation factor, which should not be underestimated.

[/ QUOTE ]Dear god, if rares are a strong factor in keeping longterm players in game, it's time for them to quit anyway. I get houses keeping players around. If someone quits UO because someone else managed to get a potted plant... *sigh*

26. RaDian FlGith

<blockquote><hr>

*quits reading*

edit: ok, ok ... I did actually read the whole post, but if you start by dissing what many people consider the centerpiece of their game (creating and decorating a house with the treasures of their adventures), then I don't think you're going to understand how much history and meaning people get from those unusual items. I'm not a rares trader/collector, but I do care deeply about some hard-won pixels that I would be deeply saddened to find had lost their distinctiveness.

[/ QUOTE ]I did not "dis" ANYONE'S belief that the centerpiece of the game is owning a house. I too believe that owning a house, along with the other levels of customization that come along with Ultima Online are indeed what makes the game different from every other game out there (save SWG, and Sony killed that one with LucasArts's help). You are taking a very simplistic, and overly generalized view of my statement, and that's a bit silly.

I've been playing this game since October 1997, and yeah, there have been months that the only reason EA received money from me is because I owned a house, but I would not consider the mere act of owning a house to a playstyle. Certainly there may be a small handful of players that do nothing but decorate their houses, and certainly the larger goal of many other playstyles may be the acquisition of wealth in order to place into their homes, but I reiterate that the mere act of owning a house is NOT in, and of itself, a playstyle.

None of this has any particular bearing on the point that I am making either. I do have a large number of rares stashed away in a house that I like to call a museum, but the ones that are most important to me are not the ones that are unique objects that few other people have (and yeah, I have some of those too), but rather, the ones that have historical community value.

For instance, I currently have two of the remaining Dragon Knight sashes on Great Lakes, with no idea if any of the other six even exist anymore. Both of them were entrusted to me by friends, and both friends know if they ever returned to the game and asked for them back, I'd not hesitate to return them. What are they? Sashes that say "Dragon Knight" on them. I also have a Chaos Robe that was from the evil side of the same EM event, also entrusted to me by a friend, who ALSO would receive it back without hesitation if he ever asked for it.

With three pretty rare items in my hands, you might think that this is counter indicative to my point, but rather, it is illustrative of my point. First, consider that in the very same chamber that houses those three EM rares are the following items:
    - a regular box filled with fruit, gems, and 2000 gp (which at the time it was gifted was a more significant amount than it is now) that represented a wedding gift to one of my in-game friends
    - a dress and a sewing kit crafted by Heather (of the Cove Merchant Guild)
    - a bag with a rune and a couple of cakes and a rune book and a lantern all crafted and given out as part of a couple of events held in Newcastle

Now, I have a couple of sashes and a robe that are not any more special than the names on them... maybe I should complain that no one else should be able to wear sashes and robes. It'd be just as silly as someone complaining that because display cases are now craftable that my rubble display case is now devalued.

Again, my intention is not to change rares, it is to put equivalent items into the game as craftables because they ARE something that MANY people would like to decorate their houses with, and that in MY opinion, should NOT be restricted to those few people who happened to be lucky enough to pick up the particular item when it was sitting around.

And this leads me back to my point: Anyone that would quit over that is definitely already in need of the "Cancel My Subscription" button. It's long overdue at that point.