1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

New guy coming to SP

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Ordrek, May 11, 2009.

1. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

Hey folks,

I used to play here a very long time ago so the game is basically completely new to me again. I couldn't play anywhere but SP so you're stuck with me.

Anyway, being a newb, I need template advice and have a few questions. I have the 20 bonus vet points on my account. I'll probably wait until SA launches to play since I really want to play a Gargoyle.

Q1: Does gargoyle flight let you pass over water and other obstacles or is it basically like riding any other mount?

Q2: Can you be "dismounted" while flying?

Feel free to punch holes in this. I have a tall order... I'd like to be able to do some solo PvM and solo/group PvP (mostly solo). This is the best I've come up with given a little bit of reading:

THROWING(the big unknown) 120
    Tactics 100
    Anatomy 100
    Healing 100
    Magery 100
    Eval Int 120
    Meditation 80

I know, I know... no resist. Can I get by without it or will it be a must? I'm kinda hoping garg flight will let me escape to recover, then come back to finish the fight. The things I like about this template are: two ways to heal, two ways to do damage, magic utility, and no disarm vulnerability.

Any pointers?
  2. Aislin*SP

Aislin*SP Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Dec 7, 2006
    I'm no help with templates, but I wanted to say Welcome to Siege!

And my first piece of advice - join [NEW] guild - it's a Siege institution. You'll get *lots* of tips and make some friends while you're getting your feet wet.

http://www.siegeperilous.net/ [NEW] website

Best of luck!
    -- Aislin
  3. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

Thank you! I've put that on my 'to do' list=)
  4. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

May 23, 2008
    I'm no good with templates either, but I can tell you that Gargoyles can be dismounted, as their ability to fly is just like being on a mount, there's also a delay to start flying, like the delays of summoning a mount
  5. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

In that case, since I have access to ethy mounts, would I be better served by choosing a human or elf? The difference would be taking archery instead of throwing. Although I liked the idea of no-ammo ranged fighting that could be either 1h or 2h.
  6. archite666

archite666 Guest

I wouldnt count too much on throwing yet, id wait and see...

Also you WILL be able to turn gargoyle from human or elf so...

start playing now!!

A template that I always liked.... (in reference to archer mage)

120 magery
    120 eval
    120 med
    120 archery
    120 tactics
    120 resist

its oldschool and I havent seen it ran it a long time but basicly...

Run a blessed orny (they are cheap now), a 0/3 with HCI , any hit chance gear you can find and a nox ranger bow (easy to find) Basicly you want to run a mage agressively and use a big moving shot hit when they run.

Once you get established there are many different templates out there you can run.

Necro archer is one that comes to mind, stuff like strangle, painspike, revenent and a composite bow for moving shot can be nasty when used correctly.
  7. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Is this confirmed?
  8. archite666

archite666 Guest

Yes, the only unconfirmed part is whether or not there will be a quest do it.

Draconi said " Does there really have to be a roleplay way to change races? or can it just work like a mechanic?" The crowd on UHall made a huge groan about it.
  9. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

I like that template! Seems pretty expensive, but it could be an eventual goal. Also, I don't know what things like "orny," "0/3 with HCI," or "nox ranger bow" mean.
  10. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Mar 13, 2007
    If you have a deep mana pool you can use a magic short bow and shoot mana arrows, no ammo required.

Also, I don't believe throwing will only be able to be learned by gargoyles... the website says that the race has a natural ability with it, and nothing more.

I would take that to mean that without training, they might have 40.0 skill in it as humans would have 20 skill in it from Jack of all trades bonus.

I am looking forward to throwing too, but it might end up being too slow, as you have to wait for boomerang to return to you before you can throw again. It would be nice if we could throw daggers and use up their 'uses remaining'... but uses remaining is a Siege thing, so I don't expect it to happen.
  11. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Mar 13, 2007
    Orny is short for Oranment of the Magician, it is a very nice bracelet.

0/3 is short for fast casting / cast recovery.

HCI is Hit Chance Increase.

Nox Ranger Bow is a named heavy crossbow with SSI ( Swing Speed Increase ) and other nice necromancer type mods.
  12. archite666

archite666 Guest

Not that this is incorrect but I wish to clean it up a bit...

Click here for orny

They come from doom and run a couple mil.

0/3 does refer to faster cast and faster cast recovery, the cap is 2/6. All mages run 2/6

HCI is hit chance increase, capped at 45, you will need 45 to hit anyone.

Click here for nox ranger bow

Its an extremely common artifact bow that you can get from treasure maps, they are not used by many people so they are cheap to get ahold of.

The bow is spell channing no penalty, meaning it doest have a faster cast penalty like other weapons do, they effectivly make you cast at 1/6 so your spells arent as quick. It also have swing speed increase (SSI) You will need it to be fast because mages don't have alot of dex because of their dovotion to str (for hp) and int ( for mana)

So its a cheap way to always have the right bow for you template.

If you download ventrillo and have a mic I would be happy to help you out with all this.
  13. Nickster

Nickster Guest

i was in your shoes not too long since and am working towards the following template.

120 Swords
    120 Bushido
    110 Necro
    120 SS
    120 Med
    120 Tactics

i am running 100 Str 45 Dex and 110 Int.

I have mana regain on my armour and when hunting PvM i use a "soulseaker" (a fast wep with repond slayer and decent necro leeches on there)

In PvM i am deadly (for what i fight at least) and using vamp embrace or curse wep along with lightning strike from bushido is very nice, strangle, pain spike, wither, Rev all great spells to use and with bushido is you use honor and gain to perfection with the right slayer wep you can do insane damage!

now i am just getting into PvP and had my first proper fight the other night, lasted around 10 mins before my opponent ran out of arrows, it had been a good scrap so we left it there :) was running with my normal armour set but a lesser wep, a katana with 20% ssi , 44% HLA and 50% damage increase. (was only using this as i have brightsight specs blessed ATM so considered this a throw away wep)

early into the fight i was wasting mana and running low quick but soon picked up on what spells to use, Strange followed by pain spike and an armour ignore makes for some nice stamina damage so you get more damage per tick although thats a fairly costly combo, you can then run them down and use your wep to keep the damage coming while you regenerate some mana for another dump. although with my int and the mana reduction cost items i could most likely get that off a few times before i needed to resort to that, i would recommend though as Kage did to me using a bokuto, the fient ability is cool but its nerve strike that you will love! it does massive damage and the first one only costs 20 mana (doubled to 40 if you do 2 in a row). this template is very mana intensive but after doing some reading you can work out what your passive mana regain will be with your suit / skills....i am only just begining to learn how to cycle spells / specials so i always have mana to heal and keep offensive... its a learning curve but i am getting there

if you are wondering about mana regeneration i have borrowed some info below from "UOGuide"

here is the math.

The base regeneration formula is:

MRt = MRe + MRf + MRmi
    MRt is your total Mana Regeneration over a 10 second period of time;
    MRe is Mana Regeneration from equipment;
    MRf is mana regeneration from Battle Focus; and
    MRmi is Mana Regeneration from Meditation and Intelligence.
    (MRmi) Mana Regeneration from Meditation and Intelligence
    MRmi = 2+(Meditation * 3 + Intelligence)/40
    If you have GM Skill level or better in Meditation you get a 10% bonus, making the GM+ formula:

MRmi = 2+(1.1*(Meditation * 3 + Intelligence)/40)
    Example: 120 Meditation, 125 Intelligence = 2+(1.1(120*3 + 125)/40) which when worked out is 15 (2+13.37 rounded down)

In the above formula, MR is the Mana Regeneration factor, this is the same as the intensity of an item with the Mana Regeneration Property, so items with a total of 12 Mana Regeneration will provide the same passive regeneration rate as 120 Meditation.

The lowest or base Mana Regeneration rate is 2, which is the rate used when your avatar is wearing non-mage or non-medable armor.

Now, having the base MR rate from your meditation skill, you can determine the active meditation rate by doubling the results before adding the base rate of 2, or for an avatar with non-GM level skill:

Active MRmi=2+(2*(Meditation * 3 + Intelligence)/40)
    or for a GM or higher skill level:

Active MRmi=2+(2*(1.1*(Meditation * 3 + Intelligence)/40))
    So for this example, our active rate would be 28, which we obtained by plugging in the numbers:

Active MRmi = 2 + (2*(1.1*(120*3+125)/40)) = 2 + (2*((533.5)/40)) = 2 + (2*13.34) = 2+26 = 28 (Remember to always round down)

Finally, items with the Mana Regeneration property directly add to the Mana Regeneration rate, so each point an item has on it, will increase the number of mana points regenerated over a 10 second period by that item's mana regeneration intensity. Example, an avatar with a Leather Tunic with Mana Regeneration 2, and Leather Leggings with Mana Regeneration 1, will have a base of MR 5 (3 for the items, plus the 2 from the discussion above) before adding in the MR rates from meditation, intelligence, or focus.

So to combine the examples we have, a mage with 120 Meditation, 120 Focus, 125 Intelligence, with maxed out item mana recovery, will have a passive regeneration rate of 26 points per 10 seconds, and an active rate of 39 per 10 seconds.
  14. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Humans/elves cant throw...Gargoyles cant shoot.

Added a link to the FOF for you.
  15. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

All of this sounds really cool... and really gear dependant. Is this gear level going to be viable on siege? I assume the item recomendations must be mostly 'Blessed' items to avoid losing them to a gank squad.

Also, what is the usual "sampire" build? I can come up with the basic six skills (weapon, tactics, anat, parry, necro, bushi), but does it also need something like Chivalry and/or Healing? If so, how do you fit them?

Here's my stab in the dark:
    Melee (pobably Swords) 120
    Tactics 120
    Anatomy 100
    Parry 120
    Necro 100
    Bushido 120
    Chivalry 40

This leaves out Healing (and thus kinda wastes the synergy potential of Anatomy), but it gets basic chivalry. I'm not sure I like the idea of relying on vampire for my only manaless healing, but you guys know better than me. Also, how do you build up the money you need to afford the pimped out version of this? It will take awhile afford those scrolls/items.
  16. RichDC

RichDC Guest

You basically hit the nail on the head with sampire template.

You dont need healing really, when you cast Vampiric embrace you leech life with every hit.

I think i dropped tactics to 90 for 70 chiv on my template, this will soon be 100tactics 60chiv.
  17. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

I assume the 60 chiv is to get Enemy of One? How much does that help? Enough to justify dropping Tactics from 120 to 100?
  18. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Yes, I think although not 100%certain. The Damage increase from 120tactics is around 10% of 100tasctics.

Enemy of one adds 50%DI

The whole template is about maxing out D(amage)P(er)S(ec) to heal as much as possible, since you rely on you hitting hard to heal.

So, you need bushido for honouring your foe and achieving perfection(100%)DI and Lightning strike(60%HCI and Critical strikes add...never calculated how much but ALOT of DI). Enemy of one for another 50%, consecrate weap(no damage increase just moves the damage type) and then extra on your suit and weap.
  19. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

I just read a blurb about UBWS (Use Best Weapon Skill) and how it will not work unless you have at least some skill in the UBWS weapon you are trying to use. Does the human bonus 20 skill points count for this? If not, could I drop neco from 100 to 99 and put a fraction of a point in each weapon skill to take advantage of these weapons? Should I even bother?

About the human 20pt bonus: Which skills really help at skill 20? Off the top of my head I can think of Meditation, Focus, and Tracking, and maybe Hiding for hiding near buildings, but are there any others?

I haven't played regularly for nearly 7 years now, so all the changes make it hard for me to know how everything fits together these days.
  20. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Aug 12, 2001

21. Ordrek

Ordrek Guest

Thank you Rico, that is very enlightening. I believe I'll go with human=)
  22. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Mar 13, 2007
    Thanks for the link... I like that they are finally giving more differences to races, other than JOAT/Increased Rescources and Nightsight/Passive detect/+20 Energy Resist.

I'm sure it won't remain that way though, when the paying customer squeaks, EA breaks down and gets out the oil can.

That would be the only skill that is race specific?

Currently, we have some gender specific skills for tamers, but no race differences ( on the skill tree ).
  23. What he just said was JOAT.............
  24. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Currently the only race specifics are:

Cu's (only tameable by elves and require pads for humans to ride)

Elf/garg armour(no word on the garg armour i assume its gna be same as elf, also factions now can use elf armour as humans)

Throwing/archery(as above link)

The other gargoyle skills will have a "joat" ability bonus or inate skill(has yet to be clarified) to mysticsm and imbuing.