1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Item Properties (new Pinco's UI spoiler)

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Pinco, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Here it is a little spoiler of the new item properties design. This design is more compact than the old one I used and thanks to the new tools available it doesn't have the old problem that used to slow down the client.

[​IMG]

and here it is some info from the changelog:
    Code:
    - On the top left corner you will see the stereotype of the item in order to easy understand what kind of item is it.
                - The number of stars around the stereotype indicates the kind of reforge:
                    - 1 star: minor reforge
                    - 2 stars: lesser reforge
                    - 3 stars: greater reforge
                    - 4 stars: major reforge
                    - 5 stars: legendary reforge
            - On the top right corner you will see (only for the weapons), if the item requires 1 or 2 hands to be wield.
            - Now certain properties are not listed but shown through symbols:
                - Lightning: spell channeling (the forbidden sign will work as yes/no)
                - Green Meditation sign: medable armor (the forbidden sign will work as yes/no)
                - Race: each race has a face.
                    - If the face is red, your race doesn't match the requirements
                    - if the face is gray, the weapon cannot be used by that race.
                - Strength required: muscle. If red you don't have enough strenght.
                - Weight: a weight. If red you will go overweight by carrying it.
                - Golden Ankh: the item is blessed/the pet is bonded.
                - Purple skull: the item is cursed
                - Coins: the item is insured
                - Red Ankh: the name on "Blessed For" doesn't match with yours. So the item is blessed but not for you.
                - Round Blue Spark: item charges/uses. The number will use the "K" if it's greater than 1,000.
                - Red heart: the creature is tamed.
                - Exclamation point: the mobile is a quest giver.
            - On BODs: shows the reward and if it's a small bod, it will show the reward of the related large bod.
            - On mobiles:
                - Players properties shows: the portrait, resistances, dci, hci, ep, sdi, di, lmc, ssi and life percent.
                    - NOTE: in order to see other players data you have to open their paperdoll first.
                - Creatures properties shows: the portrait, resistance (only if you have already used animal lore on it), resistance range and, if tamable, the min taming skill and the taming success chance.
                    - NOTE: tamed creatures shows the data only if lored at least once.
                - The stars around the portrait determines the barding difficulty (each star represents ~30 barding difficulty 1 star <= 32, 5 stars = 160)
            - Custom signs now shows the custom text as item name.
            - The "Owned By" property is now visible only if you are NOT the owner.

There is also the item comparison (like on the old UI) :)

Let me know if you have additional ideas about it, thanks.

#1 Pinco, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Younger than Kelmo, but also in the way...
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

You are a genius!

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  3. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

What is the meaning of the yellow ankh?

The tools that you mentioned: Are they just for you or are they publicly available?

And finally: Which do you prefer? Whole milk or semi-skimmed milk? Or no milk at all?

4. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie

Its BOD, so it is blessed property.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  5. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

read the quoted part of the changelog...

6. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

Ah, you can click on that grey box. I did not know that. I thought it was an error box.

Thank you.

7. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

Ah, you can click on that grey box. I did not know that. I thought it was an error box.

Thank you.

8. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

love it!

9. sibble

sibble Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend 151

Omg so hawt!

10. Tranquility

Tranquility Journeyman

Pinco will there be something when looking at items in list view (particularly when looting a corpse)where I can distinguish which items Legendary Artifacts or major artifacts perhaps via color ID or a with a tag underneath which reveals what type of item or artifact it is?

Perhaps this is in the works already but I thought I'd ask.

The list view while awesome is sorely lacking.

For example could we get Scrolls of Alacrity to state what type of Alacrity scroll (same goes for SoTs). I know there are other items I would like added information on but those are the two that come to mind as well regarding the list view.

I can't wait for the Pinco UI.

I made a donation awhile back and I will try and make one again soon. I noticed that when I donated the life bar didn't budge. My $30 donation didn't go far I will try to do better next time but I am currently a full time student, nevertheless I will try and support you and your works as best I can.

Lastly is there a thread here on stratics regarding suggestions for the New UI? (Looks around :eyes:)

11. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

Greater artifacts or legendary artifacts are meaningless properties, the only important thing you need to know is if it can be unraveled into a relic or an essence or a magic residue, and this is what the item name color means (like in the old UI) :p

If you have ideas you can always pm me :D

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  12. Tranquility

Tranquility Journeyman

I disagree they are meaningless properties. For you it may not have value for me it does. It saves me time when looting and decided what I want to take the time to look at. I have more relic fragments than I know what do with...relic fragments are not a major priority for me but the time I save in game is.

I would like to see an option for items with tags in Parenthesis in list form, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dagger
    (Lesser Artifact)

Two Handed Axe
    (Major Artifact)

Leather Tunic of Wizardy
    (Legendary Artifact)

#12 Tranquility, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  13. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Wow looking good! I have one suggestion. How about making the actual resist number larger font than the resist caps. It makes it easier on the eye to quickly glance at them. Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be and I need stuff bigger these days!

Here is a quick and wonky mock up of what I mean:

[​IMG]

Dot_Warner and Winter like this.
  14. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

So, @Pinco... how soon will the new UI be ready?

15. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

Wow, that's really some good news. Tooltip performance (which slowed the whole client down to 5-10 FPS) was a major issue and game breaker (or UI breaker in that case ;)). Glad, this will be resolved.

The color information I find useless. Please make it at least optional.

I also agree with Tranquility. I value the Magic Item/Artifact properties much more valuable than knowing to what it will unravel. If you really don't want to have it displayed, make it at least optional please.

16. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

An option to hide the resist icons would be cool, because the numbers are color coded anyway and it would save some space...

DJAd likes this.
  17. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Also I was having a think about it. Putting the caps is very handy but the problem is they seem to be only the imbuing caps. You can now go over these values with reforging / new loot.

18. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

dont like that you can see that much data on an enemy after a simple open of paperdoll. i know you probably disagree, but this provides a huge advantage and removes massive unknowns which is part of what adds to the pvp experience. it creates a large disparity that in my mind borderlines "cheating" between those using the system and those without it.

feel free to disagree, however many players feel this way. most of whom will never lay site on these forums.

honestly the more stuff in the game like this is probably what is going to be what eventually leads me to quit. not the old graphics, not bugs, not stale content. but too much "easy buttons" like this that take away the unknowns that are the heart of ultima online.

Roland Of Gilead and cholupa like this.
  19. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

I could change the color methods in order to show those 3 instead of the unraveling: red lesser, green major, light blue legendary, but then there will be a problem with the items without those affixes. That's why I used the unraveling values. We need a standard because since those properties are not present on all items there will be no way of measuring the quality.
    There must be 3 colors in order to say that green is better than red and blue is better than green, so at first sight you can say what is trash and what's not.

I don't know if I'm in the mood of keeping the default "too much crowded" endless list of properties btw... it just requires too much work :p

There is still too much to be done, so NOT soon :p

actually the gump is shorter that the default list so there is no need for that :D

again, there is a big lack of standard, and imbuing is the only core feature that can provide it. This gump is made to simplify the life (especially of the new players), and the purpose is to show only the minimum important things about an object. So having multiple caps for the same properties, multiple attributes to define an object between bad and good it just goes against the purpose and makes the game less attractive ...

Those info were already there on my old UI and CC players just uses scripts for that so it's not cheating, it's making the things equals for everyone :p

MalagAste likes this.
  20. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

it doesnt pinco. LOL scripting is CHEATING. you are putting in something that is considered cheating by mesanna and not available to all players. the information shouldnt be there at all imo, but if it is going to be, you cant use the arguement that "classic players just use illegal cheats anyway" I prefer classic client but perhaps im one of the few players who respects the rules and wouldnt even enjoying playing with cheats in the first place.

21. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

People said the same about UO assist back then and now that tool is default...

Besides, this information is no secret. Everyone can inspect your items and add up the values. This feature just makes it more user friendly...

22. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

if script programs were deemed legal as UO assist was i would not be posting about this.

i challenge you to add up all my resists in the 2 seconds you have before you make a decision to attack. not a valid point. plus you cant see all of a players armor even in CC.

I dont mean this to be CC vrs EC thread, i appreciate the EC for what it is and even have been playing it. but not because i like it, because of the advantages of the features. i feel that too many easy button features is trying to force UO to be a game that it is not. you are welcome to disagree with me but please dont make light that this is an issue that will cause people to quit, or if they have quit, not return to Ultima Online.

23. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

All this is pointless, this feature has been in my UI for years, and it is just moving from the target window to the item properties.

24. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

In PvM nobody cares...
    And in PvP players always expect the worst. So during a VvV match or at the champ spawn, do you really think someone would chicken out and start to run, just because he can see some numbers?
    So seriously, what's the point?

25. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

its cheating. the fact that pinco himself said CC clients just cheat anyway supports my personal feelings on this issue.

cholupa likes this.
  26. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Discussion about that feature is not pointless. In pvp on insurance shards people usually have maxxed out suits, but there may be weak points to exploit in some situations.
    However on non insurance shards like siege or mugen people often run non perfect suits that may have weak points, and dying has consequences there. If population on these shards would ever increase and serious players would come back, that feature would be an issue.
    I dont remember playing any game that is serious about pvp having such a feature, and reason for not implementing it is simply game balance.
    Sure everyone can look at your items and add up numbers, if one can do it really quick during combat i would call that skill and he deserves the kill.

cholupa, transcendent and Smoot like this.
  27. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

id love to discuss the intricacies of this issue more, or make a poll about it, however whenever i do it seems the post gets locked or deleted so rather futile. I know the last time discussion of what constituted "legal scripting" via the EC was introduced the threads post count hastily declined.

All i have to say is that many players would find this "feature" detrimental to game integrity. we may be a minority, however when a society, even a game marginalizes and writes off the views of minorities it is a sign of failure and decay.

i will not be responding to any further posts on this topic, as i said technical discussions like these usually prove futile in UO hall.

*retreats back to the dark corner of traders hall and rares collector forum"

28. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Scripting is cheating but we all know that a great number of folk do it. Pinco's levels the field without cheating. Without scripting. I like it.

I respect the rules. More than many ...... And many classic client users do cheat and use illegal cheats. But it's not likely to ever change. I don't say all do it... but more than you can shake a stick at do. At least on my shard I knew of a guild that promoted it... infact they bragged about it all the time... even in Gen Chat... That's why most of us "non-cheaters"... don't go to Fel. No point in it. If you want to watch a guy who can go 10x faster than anything you could ever do... fly over blockades that would stop anyone else in their tracks... hit you when your stealthed as if you are not... with arrows.. not with spells or fields like someone using tracking but actually shoot you with arrows while you are stealthing. Be able to cast all kinds of spells why running... remount after a dismount immediately... etc... No everytime I go there I always wonder why I bother. But I don't want to turn this into a cc vs ec debate...

I'm happy Pinco is working on things.

As for the new stuff Pinco I can't wait. And for my 2cents... I prefer to know what stuff will likely unravel into. I don't care about Legendary, Greater artifact.... blah blah because I've seen lesser artifacts that are 100X better than a bunch of greater artifacts. Mostly because they have a few good properties as opposed to a lot of properties that don't go together on any template.

29. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

And just an FYI to everyone who can't wait to have Pinco's UI back.... I see the donation meter is nearing dead... time to put your money where your mouth is and pony up a few bucks to keep Pinco well and motivated.

Smoot likes this.
  30. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Hope you can have the new color format in the old arrangement rather than the huge box like you could in the last version of your UI, while I like the colors and the info I don't like the HUGE box it comes in and would prefer the existing format of the gump.

31. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Hope you can have the new color format in the old arrangement rather than the huge box like you could in the last version of your UI, while I like the colors and the info I don't like the HUGE box it comes in and would prefer the existing format of the gump.

32. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

The only cheating with the extra properties of Pinco's is you cheating yourself by not taking advantage of it. It's like somebody builds a new car for you and you refuse to drive it and complain it doesn't have the features of the old one.

MalagAste likes this.
  33. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

Ok, I think I've found a way in between.

1) Items will be colored based on the unraveling result, because it's the best way to determine how powerful an item are, in fact essence items are always worst than relics since relics have more properties with higher intensities.

2) The artifact/magic item type will take part on the loot sort because I'm making it work this way:
    Code:
    * Gold piles
    * Named Items/Artifacts/Replica
    * Sets
    * Paragon Chests and Treasure Maps
    * Crafting/Imbuing materials
    * Magical reagents
    * Relic items
    * Essence items
    * Magic Residue items
    * Other items

But in this list I'm going to add a priority system that sort the relic/essence/magic residue items based on the loot type (legendary artifact > major artifact > greater artifact > etc...), and I will add the tag under the name on the loot list view mode.

3) the caps: I will show imbuing caps unless the item is from the new loot and in that case it will shows the new caps.

It's not huge, the new version is shorter than the default view and just a bit larger. The difference is that will shows things in a more compact way using images instead of text so you will need to read ONLY the things that is necessary to read instead of the current wall of texts.

Right now the new system is not compatible with the "wall of text" and also the creature details that once were in the target window now are in the item properties so by enabling the old "wall of text" I will have to disable all the info about the creatures.
    But I don't know if I'm going to make a toggle for that, I've already spent 1 month on this new system to make it work properly with all the exceptions and weirdness of new and old items. Right now I'm not really in the mood for making that "wall of text" that will just show the item name color :p
    For sure Smoot will be happy so he can't see anything except the color :D

Tranquility likes this.
  34. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

I don't think I've ever seen a developer in any game make so much effort to bring the players into the process.

Parnoc likes this.
  35. MalagAste

Pinco is more awesome than just any developer. Pinco rocks.

Parnoc, Yadd of Legends and DJAd like this.
  36. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

I wish he would work on Classic Client instead.

transcendent likes this.
  37. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

I've seen a lot of games and in the end when you change something you don't know what people may think. So I found out that showing some spoilers push the people to say their opinions and give you time to make some changes before the final release.
    Even if it may seems strange, people with strong opinions (like Smoot), trolls, and people that spit venom to he four winds are the best to get honest feedbacks (at least until they stay on topic :D ), because most of them says what they think without filters and allows me to consider different points of view that you didn't see during the design process.

Some people just feels like those opinions are an insult to their job, but in truth it's just another point of view. This just allows you to see things from more angles and the more angle you can see, the more details you can add, and with more details you get a better quality :)

You know, a sculpture is just a piece of rock, only the details on that piece of rock can turn it into a masterpiece :p

38. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

Pinco, would you consider working fulltime on UO?

39. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I forgot to say before can we get the item intensity on the property page.

Storm and MalagAste like this.
  40. MalagAste

This please!

41. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

Ok, here it is some changes:
    [​IMG]

The resistances numbers now are bigger, the imbuing intensity is visible.

About the artifact/magic item labels I've replaced them with stars around the item image (so there will be less text properties around):
    Code:
    - The number of stars around the stereotype indicates the kind of reforge:
                    - 1 star: minor reforge
                    - 2 stars: lesser reforge
                    - 3 stars: greater reforge
                    - 4 stars: major reforge
                    - 5 stars: legendary reforge
                - The number of stars around the stereotype indicates the kind of magic item:
                    - 1 star: minor magic
                    - 2 stars: lesser magic
                    - 3 stars: greater magic
                    - 4 stars: major magic
                - The number of stars around the stereotype indicates the kind of artifact item:
                    - 2 star: lesser artifac
                    - 3 stars: greater artifact
                    - 4 stars: major artifact
                    - 5 stars: legendary artifact

I'd like to remove the expansion requirement if you already match the requirements so it will be another mod gone from the list :p

If you have more ideas about the properties, let me know :D

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  42. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

Add this sentence to each single panel / box / shape:
    "ceterum censeo fortunam esse delendam" (or shorter "fortuna delenda est")
    (Please bear with me if my Latin is incorrect, it's been many years...)

The luck property is aweful. It's the manifestation of endless and utterly boring grinding. All development should be geared towards fun in the game and not endless and mindless grinding. Grinding - where in hundreds of hours of play time you often feel like you are not progressing at all (actually you aren't in most places because most of everything is random). I hate luck not only because it is a cumbersome property to add to your gear, makes it all more complicated - and not fun. But also what it stands for: Utterly boring, mindless and endless grinding for hundreds and even thousands of hours. Without having fun. It's what computers are good at. It's not fun. My time in a game should be rewarding and not feel like my personal digital job at a sweatshop.

And that's why every Pinco-box should clearly speak it out loud: The reward-less boring tedious grind needs to stop if you want more players. If we players want more players - to play with. The property "luck" is like the endless grinding got a name tag, like it has become alive. Whenever I wear a piece of gear with the luck attribute - I feel like a zombie. A ghost. A bot.