1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

New plants: give seeds?

Discussion in 'UO Botany and Nutrition' started by Lesa, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Lesa

Lesa Guest

I read somewhere the new plants won't cross pollinate...but do they self pollinate? Because some of my saplings show 0/8 seeds, and in black color. (just like a mutant black seed would show).

2. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

Only the cocoa trees give seeds/resources. I think some people are speculating that the black color just means chocolate?

3. Calla Lily

Calla Lily Guest

The font on the plant gump is black, but the seeds if self-pollinated come out plain color. Some people have cross-pollinated cocoa trees with other plants and a lot of the seeds are coming out blue.

4. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I didn't know that was how the blue seeds came about, can you link to your evidence please? I'd be most interested to read it.

5. Umfufu

Umfufu Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

As fas as i know you cannot crosspolly Cocoa Trees, am I missing something here ?

6. Lesa

Lesa Guest

WOW...i hope its true.

Oh the horror...of the unknown!

[​IMG]

7. Is it possible to take pollen from a plant you can cross and use it on the Cocoa? I know you can't gather pollen from the cocoa, at least I haven't been able to.

8. Petra Fyde

I have 3 cocoa trees that reached day 7 today. I just tried to add pollen from one of my orange petal plants.

I got the message 'you successfully cross pollinate the plant'
    Checking the seed/resource panel, before pollination it showed black lettering for both resource and seed, now it shows blue lettering for the seed.

9. There you have it. We can cross from other plants, but not from one cocoa to another.

Will be interesting to see what these blue seeds turn out to be.

Nice work Petra.

:D

10. Petra Fyde

there are others ahead of me that have blue seeds, but I'll plant as soon as I have them. The orange plant was a poppy.

11. DHMagicMan_1

DHMagicMan_1 Guest

My step-father loves chocolate covered orange peels... if you get any let me know and I'll buy them from you, name your price!

12. Has anyone tried crossing with other colors other than the fire orange? I'm wondering if it matters what color you cross with it.

13. Umfufu

Umfufu Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I have crossed like 30 Cocoa Trees with and assorti of plants (reds, yellow, purple, blue, orange, greens).
    On all the trees the letters turned blue, no matter with what type or color I pollinated them with.
    Will take 2 more days before I can pluck my seeds.

14. Lesa

Lesa Guest

Thanks for the information! Does this mean we have a chance of getting a blue cocoa tree? I forgot the rules of the cross chart...

Or perhaps we have a chance of getting a mutant white/black cocoa tree?

15. Petra Fyde

normally crossing 2 varieties results in a third plant type, so we're in totally uncharted waters with these blue seeds. All we can do is wait and see what blooms.