1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Player Housing Idea

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Spree, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Instead of placing a 2nd house and filling up the land with houses from people that don't play here. They should build dorms. Occupying a dorm would not affect your housing on other shards but accepting it would condemn a Siege house.
    The dorms would be three stories tall with 10 room on each floor 30 room total per building. Rooms have 1 secure chest and 125 lock downs. They must be refreshed with the old house rules. The housing would be placed on piers in water near old original towns. The dorms can be reached though a ferry system like the one in Scara, boat or gate. It would put them out of guard zones but close enough to bring life to the old towns.
    If Ea placed 1 dorm in Brit, Scara, and Moonglow that would give places for 90 new players. Additional dorms could be added to the piers as needed.

2. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I like the idea but 125 lockdowns won't be enough. Let them have 400 lockdowns and let them have right to right to lockdown and secure in their room so they can deco it. Each room should be same size as a small classics house.
    I agree with the refresh of the room but I think it should once each month.
    Brit, Scara, and Moonglow is fine but I would like one at Yew, Vesper, Minoc, Cove and Trinsic too. Brit may need more than one.

I really would love to see more life in old Britainnia

3. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I like the idea as well, although I think you'd have to make it GZ. Otherwise just block the hallways and enjoy the slaughter.

GZ would be a fair trade for the 'lack' of storage space.

Edit: Actually, why not just convert the 'town inns' that exist currently to this? Each room being available for 'rent?'

Might be enough to convince some people to stick around, or at least play on a more regular basis.

4. K'torr

K'torr Guest

I still think we should be given a housing "allowance".

Each account is given an allowance of 324 tiles. The player can use this allowance any way he chooses. Place an 18x18 on one shard. Or two or more smaller houses, on two or more shards. As long as his total space does not go over the accounts 324 limit. A player could even place 2 or more small houses on the same shard if he so chooses.

Classic houses, like Castles, that are larger than 18x18 count as the Max allowance.

5. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Excellent idea! [Sorry Spree :)]

6. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable

I have always like the idea of converting the town inns into rentable rooms. Each room could be designed with at least 3, if not more, secure chests. A daily, weekly, or monthly rent would be charged. If there is no money in the bank, the renter gets evicted. That would keep people who really don't play here from taking up rooms. Unless that is, they had ALOT of gold in the bank before they stopped playing!

I can only assume that would be a coding nightmare, though. How do you go about "renting" a room? How do you set up access for the renter and no one else? How do you set it up so no one can "break in"? How do you make sure no one with a house a siege rents a room (that would be unfair, but something I could see people doing it!).

7. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Id rather just see ONE of our housing landmasses opened up to a 2nd house...

and the 2nd house has to be a small house that needs refreshing once every 10 days. Only way to place is if you buy the house DEED and place it... that way houses on other shards don't go condemned or need refreshing... but the siege house does.

I'd prefer that landmass to be Felucca... but, it doesn't really matter.

my 2 cents.

8. Max Blackoak

Stratics Veteran

i think the coding could be similar to the coding of vendors.

i can place a vendor in a house that belongs someone else. only i can access it, it costs rent plus vendor fees, etc.

so i guess the coding would be about the same...

9. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This is what I sugested in another thread, a chest that can be locked down for storage coded like a vendor. Thus creating player run hostells.

10. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

I suppose in the meantime, an RPer could convert one of thier houses into an Inn, charge rent, set trunks to friends and give them locked trunks. I think this is what Miranda did at one point but I think I am the only one that ever used it, when I first left NEW.

11. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

we already have 'guest rooms' for friends from Europa who occasionally play here. Three are occupied currently. Before we built our house we were 'tenant's of the 'Europa Youth Hostel', unfortunately Cambi, whose house that was, left. We don't charge rent though.