1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Player Questions - Thank You!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by MightyUnclean, Apr 12, 2015.

1. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Visitor

Hello! I'm going to try out UO for the first time. Back in the day, I went the EQ route rather than UO. I have fond memories of the Ultima series starting with Ultima IV, though. Anyway, questions:

1) Is UO still actively in development?

2) What is the most populated North American server?

3) Are there many guilds accepting new players?

4) Can you play an archer build without kiting? I'm bad at kiting!

5) Is there a virtue system?

Thanks for any help!

Flagg likes this.
  2. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

1. Not so much, or maybe more honestly should say slowly in development. Only about 4 people left on team. EMs are picking up the slack ingame with events tho.

2. Atlantic, not many people will dispute that.

3. Don't know, don't play atlantic :p

4. Call me stoopid, not sure what kiting is. But I love my archer, went from mage to archer and havent looked back.

5. Yes! two of the virtues had been left unfinished, but it was announced that they were being worked on so we would have a complete system.

It's a steep learning curve maybe. But...if you find the right group of people that can help you develop, learn, and prosper, that's all it takes. Despite it's age, arguments over which client is better, etc etc, it's still the best game ever

Flagg likes this.
  3. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Visitor

OK, thank you! I think I downloaded the...enhanced client? I didn't know the difference.

Kiting is where you run around shooting a mob while it chases you, rather than just standing toe-to-toe with it.

4. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Kiting then would depend on the mob.. Ratmen, yeah toe to toe. Stygian dragon? better kite! :p

drcossack and Zuckuss like this.
  5. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

-They are currently working on a new expansion as we speak.

-Each server has it's own unique community. Atlantic is the largest in population.

-There are many guilds on all servers adding new players.

-You will still probably do some "kiting" but you'll be able to do some "toe to toe" too.

-The remaining virtues are scheduled to come out with the expansion I believe.

6. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Visitor

That's all great news!

Do melee builds have to kite?

Is there an official or unofficial roleplay server?

7. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

There are more than 4 people. http://www.broadsword.com/about.html try looking here. 16 names are shown

8. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

That's for all of Broadsword...which includes Dark Age of Camelot. Our UO team is rather small but hard-working and dedicated.

There are a few shards good for RP....Catskills, Napa Valley I believe..maybe Lake Superior?

I've been trying to get people/RP back to Origin but it's a rather small quiet shard.

Melee builds...it depends but if you build the right suit you can go toe to toe against almost anything...ALMOST! Better to have a nice friendly group of people to hunt with though. :)

9. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

If they got 16 names, they must be counting janitors and secretaries...

drcossack likes this.
  10. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Broadsword supports both games and prob. use everybody for both games, if not that is stupid for a company that supports only 2 games not to.

11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Did you even look at the link before posting your stupid comment.

12. (Taler)

(Taler) Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Any links to information on this?

13. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Acid Rain and a slave girl like this.
  14. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Id recommend dowloading both clients and trying both out. You may find that one suits you better. Both have pro's and cons.

Acid Rain and Capt. Lucky like this.
  15. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

If you are looking for RPER's and folk who are knowledgeable of the game and the EC I'd be more than happy to help you. PM me and I can give you my contact information. Also you can check out our website at UORPC.NET. I will say though that we are based on the Great Lakes server.

16. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No in fact it's usually detrimental. Meleeing in this game is all about leeching life back from hits, so if you aint hittin you aint alive for long against anything strong.

17. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

You really think that many peeps are working on UO? That's all of Broadsword, not the UO team. Remember when they had the Meet the Team thing? there were 4 people. Saying there is more because broadsword lists them on a website, is like saying at one time we had 10k devs because taht's how many people worked for EA.

18. Candy Cane

Candy Cane Journeyman

I don't think this person needs to know how many are working or not working on UO. Its still a great game and since you have never played at all you will find so much to do. New content is added slowly and by that I mean very slowly. The EMs for each shard do help by having in game events and lots of guilds do try to add in game events to keep things a bit more interesting for players who have been around this game awhile.

Lots of shards to choose from I think its best if you try a few and see where you fit in best. Atlantic, Lake Superior, Great Lakes, Catskills and even Siege have decent amounts of people playing. For all the smaller shards it depends on the time of day.

For me one of the coolest things in UO is housing, being able to build a house to your liking is so much fun. The worst thing about a busy shard like Atlantic is you will have a hard time finding housing. Most any other shard you can find a large house without much problem.

Ask for help in game and plenty of people will give you a hand, again it depends on which shard as to how much help you get.

Archery is a cool template to play but since you will have more than one character you can try out several different templates and find what you like best. Siege has a one character limit, which makes it a bit more challenging to play.

Come give the game a try I think you will find even as old as this game is it still will keep you interested and you won't have trouble finding things to do.

Miri of Sonoma and Acid Rain like this.
  19. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Welome to UO! I played the old single player games as well..

Catskills has a good Role Playing community going if your into that.

Acid Rain likes this.
  20. Christina Kardos

UWF

Welcome to UO! Dont forget to visit these forums from time to time!

21. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Welcome and thanks for coming to Stratics!

There's a lot happening, and will be happening! A lot of good advise in this thread.

All I can really add is if you are into PvP, your best bet for activity is on Atlantic. For serious RP, visit Catskills, Chesapeake and Siege Perilous. For slower RP (and maybe to get introduced to the game without stressing) Napa is always a good place.

Depending on your play style, you may want to just learn the ropes of each shard, as each is slightly different. If you want to learn the "classic" style of UO, best shard for that is Siege Perilous. You only get one character though, but you will get the best taste of UO there.

Feel free to carouse the forums, or go to our main site at Stratics.com. We are in the process of redoing our interface for the main site so it will be easier to find info and guide there. :)

22. Marisa Kirisame

Marisa Kirisame Seasoned Veteran

If you don't like kiting, being an archer tamer you'll be able to make your pet tank, with different kinds of archer mage summons can tank etc. Or just bring a friend to tank.