1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Broadsword team is seeking alternative castle designs! Learn more and discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Publish 97 is currently on TC1! They are currently focusing on the pet customization aspect of the pet revamp. Head to TC1 and send in your feedback or discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Broadsword is hosting a 20th Anniversary Party for UO this September! Learn more here. Will you be there, Guest?
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A new State of Stratics is up. Check it out here!
    Dismiss Notice

New tamer

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Caitlyn Snow, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

So my brother FINALLY got into UO. Trying to help him get started a got him a tamer all suited up and trained to all 115s(making him buy his own 120s). Got him a 3.5 GD so he can learn the functionality of a tamer. Realized that it sucks for him because In order to be effective with other damage combos (tiger /wyrm for cold/phys. and rune beetle /tiger for massive phys ) takes a lot of time to master especially for someone coming in 20years late. He's been doing swoop and has made a clean mil from camping that to learn but I'm at a loss for where to take him next. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Depends on what you are after... gold? or training... or getting more comfortable working with the pets?

3. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

Well I don't think he'll have much an issue with gold. I have plenty to lend until he can get self sufficient. and he proved today he can make his own (a million by doing swoops is terribly time consuming). I can't take him to meli yet because he hasn't learned how to dodge changelings or dryads, only reason he could use a GD today was because I had a spare bond potion. I'm trying to figure something out that's tough enough to be fun but no much so that he gets frustrated and quits (the devs do that to more than enough people). Miasma (imo) is weaker than swoop, and everything else requires skill he hasn't developed yet.

4. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

And I guess I should add that this is his first PC game, he he only ever played console. (Plus he didn't have to spend a solid week training the tamer anyways

5. MalagAste

Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I used to enjoy killing Oni... though it doesn't have anything great for drops anymore... I would say maybe take him down to Blackthorns and go hunting there... he could slowly earn himself a good arti.

6. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Shadowguard! Is he not finding killing swoops and stuff like that a bit repetitive and boring? Jump in at the deep end!

7. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Babbling Loonie

Yes, Shadowguard is my thought. If he goes with an fairly experienced group he should be fine. *crosses finger*

8. MissEcho

MissEcho Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Do the 'Valley of One' quest chain in Eodon. Can be done solo with a GD in tow if your careful and have time to do each part slowly. Save the rex and gorilla til last.

9. Slayvite

Slayvite Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I often wonder why people are still using GD's and not Turtles?
    They are pretty much the same specs, and you can actually see what your fighting and not just a GD's backside ;)
    Is there something i'm missing?

10. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

Because I can spend an hour and get at least a 3.6 -4.0 whereas a turtle requires an hour long champ, 3 days of incubating , and most of the turtles that hatch are crap. It's just easier to find a GD then to spend all that time just to get a crappy turtle.

11. Dizzy

Dizzy Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Benefactor Treasure Hunters

I think then he's missed the essence of UO. Every newbie should die to something random during their introduction, like a harpy or a grizzly. Then realize he needs to start specializing to hunt the larger things.

12. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

He did lol. Realized his mistake when he fasted on a pixie and it killed him XD

13. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Navrey. Chance for a Tangle and a death or three lol.

#13 Aibal, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    petemage and Drakelord like this.
  14. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

For solo hunting:
    Navery
    Covetous level 3
    Miasma
    Balron in Blackthorns

For group hunts:
    Shadowguard
    Champ spawns
    EM events

15. Drakelord

Drakelord Certifiable
    Governor Contributor Alumni

He can also do the City Trade Missions. ok, you going to ask me why? He is new to UO and has yet to learn the land, trade missions will help him to learn all cities, it will help with city loyalty later, maybe he would like to role play on his shard (obtaining the necessary level of loyalty as a governor). ;) There are some benefits of doing those missions besides, getting the books, signs or the banners, yes yes, per deco, but it can be fun.

16. Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Governor

Take him to Navery, it will help him with his coordination skills to control the pet and also to heal the pet.
    You can also take him to get Travesty keys, ok not the best place imo, but the amount of spawn will make him be quick on his feet.
    SA minichamps can also be a good place for training and maybe get a nice artie on the side.

petemage likes this.
  17. Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Governor

I agree, very good choice also

18. Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Governor

Only advantage I see a GD over a turtle is, it bites and it also cast spells, which turtle only bites I think.

19. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie

The only difference between a turtle and a GD is the graphic.

GD are SO much easier to find/kill in order to get a highly rated one that they remain the "go to" pet.

MalagAste likes this.
  20. Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Governor

And the specials no? Turtle has bleed effect doesnt it? and Dragon has no special? No one has ever spoken about a special on a GD, even when Ive been attacked never seen a special go off on me.
    Since when does the Turtle do spells? I must of missed that sorry

21. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie

My GD has bleed attack, and the turtles I've seen (don't own one) appear to cast spells.

22. MalagAste

The GD and the Turtle are completely identical in every way save for how you get them and how they look in game.

Getting a Turtle that is actually worth keeping or using is nearly impossible given how long it takes to hatch the eggs and such and that 90% of them are below 3.5 even ..... Rare to get them over 3.5 and to get something 4.1 or better like I would insist my Dragon is.... is an effort in futility. I don't even want to imagine how many Turtle spawns one would have to do to get a decent one... not to mention the odds of your friend actually GETTING the egg off the spawn and not someone else are fairly low as well... though you would have to find people willing to do the spawn... since there isn't anything really exciting that drops from it and everyone pretty much has everything from that spawn hard to get anyone to do it anymore.

And you can kill GD's all day long in short order and fairly quickly in a day find a decent dragon to train up.

23. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

I have managed to get a 3.9 turtle on my home shard but I mainly use it when I watch tv with my laptop on my bed with the turtle in the elemental room in blackthorn while my sampire runs split screen in the mage room. I usually pull about 15 drops in about 3.5 hours

24. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Assuming this takes place on Trammel/Prodo shard; what is the issue? Insurance plus Vet.. there should be no problems for an experienced tamer.

Oh. Wait. We're talking about a player brand new to uo with a gifted account and a fully trained tamer.

Haven't needed to use the phrase "learn to play" for almost a decade.. but.. just saying.

Finally.. why is this in uhall and not the taming forum?

25. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

I am tired and do not feel like arguing. But to answer the last question this has nothing to do with taming other than that is his character. Only asking for ideas where to hunt with him. Please read the OP before you start throwing tantrums in others threads

26. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Do you need to be so damn rude, it is hard enough keeping players in UO. As far as this being in UHaul, what other forums get visited that much anymore. The OPs post could sit there for a week before getting any attention.

27. Caitlyn Snow

Caitlyn Snow Adventurer

Frodo, thanks. I'll handle it from here.
    So the The reason that he has a gift account with a fully trained tamer is because let's face it he's a console gamer has been for most of his life so yeah let's say I tell him to put the controller down from sensory intense games like call of duty and ask him to start over with a model wearing just a robe and a sword working on some cows in Delucia. Yea... great way to make someone stay... all the while my friends and I are squatting in the roof taking down the fun stuff and he feels left out. In case you hadn't noticed, for the most part, this is a COMMUNITY game. So, I don't criticize what you do (other than you snarky retorts in a thread you've done absolutely nothing to contribute towards) so please don't criticize us.
    And people wonder why I never want to log into stratics anymore

Lord Frodo likes this.