1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

New year old question: Shard Gate

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Striga, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Striga

Striga Guest

This word says all: "Shard Gate".
    No shard history lost, no buildings lost, no items lost.
    Two gates: 1 in one shard and 1 in the other shard.
    Example: Europa/Drachenfels.
    One from Europa to Drachen and one from Drachen to Europa.
    Are there any questions about this?
    Only we need an answer from Devs....if is is possible.
    Thx

2. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I like the idea for Drach players, my concern for Europa is the players would be potentially halved over two huge sets of land mass.

3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The only idea like this I've ever felt comfortable with is a shared dungeon server whereby 2 or more shards have their own land mass but share dungeons, trouble is, how do you ensure that the party leaving the dungeon arrives back on the correct shard?

4. Babble

Babble Guest

You just close the dungeons/t2a/ilsh of the 'smaller' shard

5. Babble

Babble Guest

Is it possible.. yes
    Is it likely ... no
    As shardtransfers seem to need special safeguards a quick gate seems unlikely. With a slow system such a gate is basically nothing else than a slow closing of the smaller shard.

6. Apetul

Apetul Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
    Stratics Veteran

I dont think this is technically possible right now. Look the character transfers, they take a time (10-20 mins) because (im guessing) your character/skills/items are being deleted from the source shard and they are being created in the destination shard. Even is you transfer the char back to the original shard, you character/items receive new IDs.
    That means the info that represents your char/skill/items is stored in the shard's database.
    So right now, this same process should be needed in order to use that "shard gate", and of course you will need to logout and login again to be able to use your char in the destination shard.

7. ress me plz

ress me plz Guest

Imho, currently shard gate are the ONLY way to keep UO alive

8. Babble

Babble Guest

Not the only way, not even a good way.
    :)

9. ress me plz

ress me plz Guest

Isn't a good idea give the possibility to play in a bigger community?

the fisrt "m" in mmorpg means massive :)

10. Babble

Babble Guest

For that UO would need new players, which a shard gate will not bring.

11. ress me plz

ress me plz Guest

OK, perhaps isn't the definitve solution (for bring new players, a modern client and a good advertising campaign are necessary) but i think that is absurd, in 2011, have 26 separate low populated communities!

12. Babble

Babble Guest

The ones who want can move shards.
    The rest is seemingly happy enough to tay on a low pop shard.

And the upkeep of the shard hardly costs them anything.

13. ress me plz

ress me plz Guest

Many players, don't move to another shard for the house...for example, I want to go on atlantic but won't lost my europa keep, my guild and my friends, shard gate is the solution

14. Babble

Babble Guest

You are actually suggesting shard gates to all other shards ....

First thing is ..it makes EA's transfer tokens rather useless.
    Then there is still the duping/bug problem with shard gates, though if a transfer just takes 20 minutes people could plan accordingly.
    And which shards keep dungeons and t2a and Ilsh then?

Players who really want to play a populated server will transfer anyway, housing or not. Those who stay because of their housing will pay their account anyway as they like their housing as they have shown.

15. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

They should stop creating places for housing. Like, with SA, by allowing housing they made it impossible to connect to the facet. What I would do, is take away Illshnar from every shard because it doesn't have housing. You cannot place on the facet, then I would take the Shard moongate and allow for only Illshnar to be an option.

So, if you were on one shard, say Atlantic, and somebody else was on another shard and they both went to Illshnar, they would actually see each other but there would be no way to use the gate to get to a housing facet, such as Fel or Trammel because there is housing, for that you would need a transfer token.

This way they could add one new landmass for all of the shards to access or a dungeon or an arena or even a place for an event or some type of meeting.

The reason you would think they would do this, is so that the populations can come together in at least some way. In these places, they could make it so you can't drop an item or there is no trade window and make it so the person can only go back to their original shard. So, I guess you can call this common landmasses. They could even make faction lands available so that if you're in a faction you could go there and play with everyone that plays UO.

16. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Guest

Exactly this. I play on Atlantic with no house, And on Napa with a House. We did have a house on Atlantic but that account had to be closed.

People are content to stay on their low population shard (as babble said) and the counter argument is "they don't want to leave their houses" Well then you are content to play on your low population shard then. The argument enforces the reasoning. If you quit because you play on a low population shard, then that is a fault of yours and yours alone, as you have the ability to not play there.

17. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Since they haven't perfected leaving a shard(from the complaints here)
    It'd have the Warning: Item(s) from backpack or packy(s), or the packy itself May come up missing - this will be a Permanent loss and may occur either direction thru the gate.
    How many would trust that?

18. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

I disagree with that because what it basically translates into is, these people will be a sucker, simply because of the housing.

What I did was decide, I would pick one shard, the most populated because to me that's what we were supposed to be doing, playing with other people, not playing isolated online. So, I decided to be with the people, no matter what. Also, I understood managing friends would be to complicated on more than one shard, especially if you plan to do things with them on a daily basis.

Also, building skills on 7 characters, rather than, however many I have total, what is it, like 500 characters seemed an unreasonable feat. So, I decided to specialize my characters on one shard. So, now we have alot of reasons why it would not make sense to build on multiple shards.

One of the things that I think, people forget is human nature. My brother, for example, fell for the tokens allure, as did many others in offering them a dream, a new beginning, a place of community, but once they all transfered to AOL, I guess they realized, their game had become limited and rather than starting over again, decided the dream was probably impossible.

So, rather than transfering again, they decided to quit and one by one, their friends left and the shard was no longer tagged with AOL. It was over, the dream had ended. My brother closed 5 accounts and allowed for 10 homes to fall, completely full. It did take him awhile to realize it wasn't worth holding on to the houses but I don't think that should be the focus of a shard gate. It should be a way to allow people for a way back to their dreams.

That's human nature. So, now they all play different games but they are all looking for that gate, that way to connect with each other.

19. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Hmm... would it be possible to have special moonstones for travel between the connecting dungeons/shards (and a once a day "stuck" option for people who forget their return moonstones?)

20. Babble

Babble Guest

Still would probably have to work like shard transfers

21. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

It's not anything at all about how happy on is to stay on a shard with low population.... It's how really feasible it would be to move.

First off with housing that is well.... got a banner and all.... something significant and historic its not like you can just pack up and "move" real easily.

Second financially it would be catastrophic for a considered move. With 8 accounts and over 50 characters I for one wouldn't be financially capable of moving to another shard... and knowing myself as well as I do I know I wouldn't want to start all over either... and I'd miss what I left behind.

So knowing my own limitations on moving I can see quite well why others wouldn't consider it either. I also know about shard history. I live and breathe the history on my shard.... I could give one rats *** about the history of another shard. So... again that would certainly influence my own decision and I'm sure it effects the decisions of others too.

22. Babble

Babble Guest

So you basically accept to play a lower population shard which is nothing bad :)

23. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Guest

Which is what I said twice now. And people keep reinforcing that fact. If you want to interact with people, go "visit" another shard, transfer only 1 character. and then go play on your shard when you feel "homesick". Do I need to provide more examples? I mean really no one has actually done anything but feed my original response.

24. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Thats what iv done twice now, i got bored of europa so i went and visited GL and liked it there so i build a crafter, made some gold to build a fighting char and built up again with new people but still held my friends back on europa.

Then europa died for me, friends left others moved on. It got to quiet, so i went to atlantic swapped some gold with a few poeple across shards so i could start again.

Built up a crafter and made more gold and hit the jack pot there as trading is so good and crafters where needed for runics, then built a fighter just as SA came out.

My friends are always on icq and most of them do the same thing so we work around when we can be on a shard at the same time to do stuff together now and then.

EA will never implement to much untill the sale of tokens drops to 0 as its revinue to them if you wana xfer a char, i just start again. The way the game is now it doesnt take long or much gold to be good enough at most things.

Thunderz

25. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

=DUMB

Close existing shards or they stay the same

26. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I don't care to do that. I'd always want something back home..... and transferring is expensive. I don't play UO for money I play for fun. Not much into selling things either.

27. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

we were talking about this in global actually. Im sure someone could figure it out, but if you could condense all the east coast servers into 2 shards it would be a blast, and packed. I suggested you open ish and T2A to housing spots. Which would add 2 trammel rulset lands and another fel ruleset land (not add, but able to put homes on). I think it would help the entire community. Would keep me from logging onto 3 shards to find a fight too.