1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with taming/bonding question...

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by ZifnabATL, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ZifnabATL

ZifnabATL Guest

I just had a horrible experience with a gargoyle flying on my boat and killing the Fire Beetle someone was nice enough to give me.

I'm to understand that I need taming skill to bond with my new beetle. If I get the required taming skill (jewelry would help here right?), bond with my beetle, then allow taming to atrophy would my pet still be bonded?

Thank you in advance!

2. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

You can bond with a fire beetle without having taming skill. So the best idea is to feed your beetle, stable it and then claim and feed it again after at least 7 days. I allow 8 just to be safe, but all my crafters bonded with their pets in that way.

Wenchy

3. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If you rely on your beetle for protection I offer two suggestions.

1. Once the beetle is bonded begin training it so that it's survivability factor will be greatly increased. Just wait until it's bonded first because only bonded pets can be ressed. Dead Tame pets that are not bonded stay dead.

2. If you have enough soulstones, store two skills not needed at the moment then train animal lore and vet up to at least 80 each. (This can be done fairly quickly just by healing your beetle all the time during training)

This will allow you to monitor your pets progress during training and let you heal it as well.

I say at least 80 pts each because at that level you can res your beetle if it dies.

Your pet will lose 0.1 pnt off each skill when you res it. It will lose 0.2 when someone else resses it for you.

My crafter has zero offense/defense skills so when I go mining I store my carpentry and tailoring skills and grab my lore and vet skills and take my Fire Beetle out for some shoveling.

It took me three weeks to train him but my Fire Beetle Blaze is now 4xgm in skills and has 100 hp, 110 dex, 500 int. 100 wrestle, 100 tactics, 100 resist spells and 100 anatomy.

Against the low level stuff I run accross (orcs, ettins, harpys etc..) My beetle now kicks much arse. I feel very safe in the mountains.

4. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I forgot to add that at this point, I could probably shelve my lore and vet skills forever and just use what magery my crafter has for healing my beetle now that he's trained and takes much less damage than he did as a pup.

5. Parser

Parser Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I don't believe this is accurate:

It will lose 0.2 when someone else resses it for you.

Pets only lose 0.1 when rezed by anyone. I believe it was changed a long time ago.

6. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Yes, it was changed to 0.1 skill loss regardless of who resurrects the pet.

Wenchy