1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[News] A Few Questions for James Nichols on the Community Team

Discussion in 'UHall' started by AirmidCecht, Dec 1, 2009.

1. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

[​IMG]

A Few Questions for James Nichols on the Community Team

James Nichols is taking on the role of one of the community managers for Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer.

First of all James, welcome to UO Stratics! It is one of the main sources of information that the community of UO players use to discuss all things Ultima. We also appreciate the communication and feedback we get from the developers when they post on the main forums.

This is a motley bunch though, wary of new faces without a little bit of background information. So c’mon and have a seat at the Salty Dog and don’t mind the blaring lights shining on you from above. This is not an interrogation at all. *winks*

Let’s start by asking what your specific title is and your duties with this new community team:

James: Ahoy! Currently I’m the Community Forums Manager here at Mythic, though that’s far from descriptive about my current responsibilities. My duties broadly encompass facilitating all the community needs across our three brands. We’re still figuring out all the details but it’s an exciting and new challenge and we’re looking to make some new approaches towards old practices to support these unique and thriving communities.

Secondly, and we may as well get this out in the open straight away, do you play Ultima Online or have you in the past and if so what is your take on this older mmo?

James: I have, Airmid showed me the ropes in fact! Though I would say I’m far from an experienced player. I’m familiar with the game and have met many fans at Town Halls and have more friends than I can count on my hands and feet that have dedicated many years and still talk about their (mis)adventures!

Ultima is a rock-solid game and universe that has been around for nearly 30 years with UO making up 1/3 of that lifespan. It’s a unique game unlike really any other currently played by a large audience and I look forward to learning more about its nooks, crannies, and chicken escaping escapades in the coming weeks.

What is your background with EA Mythic?

James: I’ve been at Mythic for over two years now arriving here after two years at Sigil Games Online. I was hired on to work on WAR but through that experience I’ve gotten to learn a lot about our legacy through Dark Age and Ultima.

With all the recent changes, and there is much we’re sure you cannot discuss yet, what do you hope to accomplish with the UO community?

James: We want to ensure you guys continue to receive the attention you’ve come to expect through new features on the Herald and developer interaction. UO is fortunate to have a great, dedicated team that remains committed to its community and has been a part of it for a decade. (I should also note that this dedication makes it a lot easier to get myself into gear for working with UO).

Who will be taking on the role of the main line of communication between the UO player base and the dev team?

James: Andy, myself, and the dev team will all be working closely together to ensure the same (if not better) level of communication you’ve come to know!

Cal mentioned in his Producer’s Letter that there are some great things to highlight for UO including an increase in subscriptions. Without getting into actual numbers, can you share with us percentage wise the increase you are seeing?

James: Is “Up” a percentage? I don’t actually have those numbers so you’re asking the wrong guy, but the community continues to grow as more players come back (and even bring their friends) to check out what’s new. Stygian Abyss brought new energy and excitement, coupled with live events it seems like it’s a happening time in Brittania!

Finally, are there any thoughts you would like to personally share with the UO players as this community team takes on Ultima Online
    ?

James: Any tips for a level 5 paladin? :)

Needless to say I’m excited to be getting involved in this timeless game, and while we may not know each other yet I look forward to changing that overtime. I might look like an ogre but I’m a big softie – and hugs are free!

Thanks James for answering a few questions for the UO community and we hope to hear from you often on the forums. We also hope to have a Part II with Andy Belford up for the players soon!

2. Jermosh

Jermosh Guest

Was the Lvl5 Paladin a joke?

3. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

James: Any tips for a level 5 paladin?

Oh brother.....heh, I'm sure that was a joke, just hope it's the joke I would expect when meating a skill based player community.
    Welcome, James. :)

4. I was asking myself that same thing =/ I certainly hope so

5. James_Mythic

James_Mythic Guest

Yes it was a joke :p

Jeeeze, serious group here - I'll step more lightly in the future!

oh...and hi!

6. Phayde

Phayde Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome, James! I'm glad to hear you'll be out there helping to keep us informed of all the stuff going on with UO, and I'm really excited to see any new Herald features!

I have to say that by and large, the dev team has been fantastic communicating with us. I know sometimes it's not easy, but I definitely agree that this team is committed to us. It's a very nice feeling!

So hang in there, and don't let us scare you off!!! Thanks for doing this interview too... it's always fun to know a bit more about the people behind the names!!!

I'm sure it was. :) That joke, as I recall, has been going around for a few years now.

7. Phayde

Phayde Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

We're not all serious. Just some of us. hehe

8. woody_cats

woody_cats Guest

and here i though that I finally figured out what my palidin problem was that I never took him up a few lvl to 60

9. I apologize for my grumpiness! Sorry.. some of us just dont deal well with change *sigh* me included lol.

Welcome aboard James! I promise we arent all like this and I'm certainly not like this all the time, just sometimes hehe :)
    I look forward to hearing more from you and the others about the changes coming in the future.

And I promise to behave in the future lol

10. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Not so much 'serious' as rather deeply involved - rather a lot of us have been playing this game for a very long time, and get very perturbed when so much changes in so short a time as has happened lately. Expect us to pick over everything you say, and probably misinterpret most of it ;)

We will (well, some of us will) be picky though ;

"Ultima is a rock-solid game and universe that has been around for nearly 30 years with UO making up 1/3 of that lifespan." Actually, UO is past the 12 year mark....

And welcome to the Stratics arm of the UO community. We don't bite much, honest - unless provoked, or we feel like it, or it's a day with a 'y' in it.:fight:

11. Jermosh

Jermosh Guest

I thought it was more of a Flux Capacitor joke we play on new managers and engineers.

Welcome.

12. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

It's a tad ridiculous in here. One wrong word and you'll get burned in effigy. :mf_prop:

13. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Welcome James :) I am the current 'designated driver' of this 'bus'. If there's anything I can help you with please let me know. :)

14. James_Mythic

James_Mythic Guest

Heh,

It's fine all! We're just bustin chops

...mmmmm chops...:pancakes:

Anyhow - I look forward to getting to know yall and continue to learn more about the game :)

Cheers folks,

15. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Welcome James,

Here's your nomex suit...:flame:

16. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

James, UO's already been hit by the non-skill based developer ideas with AoS a few years ago. It hurt the game in several ways, PvP and Trade skills in particular. It also threw the game out of balance and strongly into the hands of the heavy powergamers, which has hurt getting newer players and keeping older ones quite a bit. It also opened the floodgates to cheaters and RMTers in previously unseen levels. So, you know, some of us can be a little leery at times.

Serious? You think this is serious? Hehe. Just wait, my good man. Just wait. :eyes:

17. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

Ya jeeeze people.. they only just recently mutilated one of the best and most knowledgeable teams this game has ever seen. A joke about not knowing anything about the game followed by several claims that he actually doesn’t have a clue is completely appropriate. He has already mastered the use of the exclamation point!

Welcome aboard James. If you like your job don't learn anything about UO. As soon as you do you'll be shiped all over the US then handed a pink slip.

18. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Greetings James - and welcome to the hall.

I am one of the Stratics Moderators and have been coordinating the UO-HoC Developer's Chats with the UO-Team for a while now. I certainly understand things are busy now with people learning new duties and redesigning some of the systems that make Mythic run - but I do hope you and the team will have time to join us soon for a House-of-Commons chat in the near future. We love the chance to discuss issues directly. :)

Like Petra, feel free to contact me any time I can be of help in any way. We are here to support the community!

19. Surprisingly well said, but will be overlooked.

20. Green Mouser

Green Mouser Guest

Welcome James.

I hope you make it past the mid-year financials. :(

21. Magdalene

Magdalene Stratics Legend

Hi James, welcome :)

22. Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome aboard!

Lets get right down to it.

When or if will Five on Friday (FoF) return?

Why are gems from the gem cart (Amethyst, Citrines, Diamonds, Star Sapphires) use a different graphic from ones taken as loot and why can you not use the above listed gems from the gem cart to imbue items?

Good luck, you will need it!

23. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Howdy James! :)

And don't be put off by the serious, a few of us are quite irreverent and usually irrelevant ;)

But don't be fooled, tis a tough crowd you've met. Keep up solid communication with a flow of info, as available, that's our meat, and what keeps us at bay.

Good luck to ya, We've had more community peeps in the last three years than Ive had guildmasters...

24. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

If you told them you were going to build a space ship in UO they would believe you.
    Then we would have 25 threads on how you were destroying UO. LoL *Innocent joke*
    Welcome aboard and I know I am excited to keep playing UO. I havent really touched SA but, Mesanna is doing some GREAT player run community work. She should get a raise. Can you tell your boss that? I am thinking 5,000 more a year. Sakkrah can have 4,999.99 raise.

25. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Yeah, we have a tendency to take what is said and blow it up out of ...

Chops...? Are we getting holiday roasting pigs? Pork chops and cranberries? *searches -as typical- for some super secret meaning behind the words*

Welcome!

26. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

Hail, James!

Regarding the Paladin remark ... methinks a few folks missed the smiley. <shrug> I have to say that this is a quite vocal bunch, so you just might have your hands full at times.

Now that you have been "assimilated" into here somewhat, buckle up for a ride! :thumbup:

I look forward to reading more from you and the team as things get settled. Ummm, I did have a Levwl 12 Theurgist in DAoC for a bit while I vacationed from UO - that was a fun character.

27. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

Oh dear! I omitted pork chops from my cooking idea of a few days ago! doggone it ... now I need to spiff it up with that too! Thanks for the added idea!

28. Tazar

Tazar Guest

WHAT??? We're getting pork chops for Christmas? of all the :yell:

It's amazing how fast rumors get out of hand here.... lol Anything you say will be liberally twisted and used against you in U-Hall. :gee: Don't take it all too seriously.

29. olduofan

olduofan Guest

VERY WELL SAID ! :thumbup1:

I Just HOPE Sakkarah_Mythic Reads This, Shes Doing A Great Job So Far :thumbup:

30. olduofan

olduofan Guest

Its NOT a rumor James said it him self we are having pork-chops :drool:

31. Gem

Gem Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Jokes????...We get jokes.....

(sorta kinda!)

32. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome, James.

Personally when playing a CR persona I trend toward the Ninja template, mage would probably be best. You know, appear outta nowhere, do the quick exp/ebolt combo for the kill shot and then BAM! with the smoke bomb and you are back out of harms way.:eyes:

Find someone less experienced and junior, suggest they do the pally temp and pull aaaaaallllllll the aggro.:sword::flame::twak::fight:

Just sayin'. :beer::D

33. Fifi LaForge

Fifi LaForge Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

JOKES! I want jokes too! Why do they always save the best loot for the power players and tamers? Probably see a "Knock. Knock" for sale in Luna for a few million soon. Oh well, I better get started marking runes for the new Pork Chop Quest.

34. Lady Tia

Lady Tia Certifiable

Nah...we are not all serious! We are alot of fun! LOL
    Welcome to the madness!
    and I like pork chops btw...

35. Fallon Valor

Fallon Valor Guest

Greetings, James. It is nice to hear from you.

I hope you will continue to explore Ultima Online - it is a great game, and more importantly, a vibrant community.

Come visit us on Atlantic sometime, if you're ever in game. :D

36. five oclock

five oclock Guest

Welcome James.....Great to have ya...

if ya ever on napa look me up. Im usually either on the brit bank roof or in the taverns. Fish and ale for all I say. :D

Btw great reporting too :D

37. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Yeah, but Wilki gave us bacon...

38. Zooithion

Zooithion Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome to UO!
    We are a passionate group indeed.
    Thanks for joining in and thanks for the appropriate stratics staff for rounding you up!
    Please post often and share what you know!

39. falseprophet

falseprophet Lore Master

*cracks the door and throws Eyes one of Brat's cookies then walks on in*

now that it's safe, Welcome James and be sure to wear all the flame gear that's been offered.

40. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Welcome, and I look forward to your Goodbye post in the future, and then the next Welcome Aboard "Insert Community Team Members name here"...sorry, but that truly is my feelings..but again, Welcome, and Good Luck to you...

41. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Lots of new guys lately ... hm. Well, we'll see how these do :p.

Any word on Draconi?

42. I know I know I was grumpy! I did say sorry though :(

*whispers* cookies only work for you proffit. ;)

43. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Eyes... This crew does not know grumpy yet. *deep breath* I wonder if James even knows of Siege.

*stares at the Uhall crew* It is a legitimate play style... We pay to play too,

44. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

*chuckles darkly*

45. You're right, even on my part that was mild lol If he doesnt, he'll learn soon enough I am sure :p

46. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*smiles*

47. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I immediately noticed his greeting.

48. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

True, although "Nyar!" would have been a bit more promising.

49. Otis Firefly

Otis Firefly Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

mmmm...i want bacon too

*stares at autographed SA poster and wonders if any of these people are even with ea anymore...*

Welcome to UO James!

50. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Hi James, drinks are on me if I ever meet you in person.