1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

News Article - EA and PC Gaming

Discussion in 'EA Land/The Sims Online Stratics Forums' started by Aster, May 14, 2008.

1. Aster

Aster Guest

link to article

Tacking here because I think the article helps explain why TSO/EAL had a sudden push to microtransactions. I think it is interesting we as a playerbase rebelled against that.

2. SimTripps

SimTripps Guest

The PC gaming industry will never die. However I can see why people prefer consoles - no unwanted software cluttering up your pc, as many of the newer games have kick-ass graphics that require TONS of memory and are vid card demanding, etc. I've tried consoles and, no matter how hard I've tried, my hands just can't seem to get the controller lol.. Hubby and kids are xBox 360 addicts and are awesome at it. Give me a mouse and keyboard anyday lol..

Also, the uploading of 3rd party files is much more difficult, if not impossible, for the consoles, as well as writing your own unique gaming config scripts. And you're limited to the number key binds on a console controller - what, A, Y, X, B, left trigger, right trigger, left bumper, right bumper, etc., and that's it? There are some online games I play where just about every keyboard key has been used for a key bind - w=walk forward, p=crouch, shiftkey=jump, etc., etc. This is impossible using a controller... Sure, console game sales will always win over pc nowadays, but as long as there's a Sim franchise and the availability of awesome 3rd-party files for uploading, the pc will always rule lol...

3. I thought we more rebelled against EA breaking something that didn't need fixing, than the concept of microtransactions itself.

Second Life exists almost solely on microtransactions - from mere pennies up to sometimes hundreds or thousands of dollars - and clearly EA see for themselves a good profit opportunity. Linden Lab takes 3.5% commission on any 'game to real money' cashout transactions which, when over a million real dollars changes hands every day is no small chunk of change for, essentially, very little work.

From the start, SL has been based around, for the most part, spending some real money to get stuff in-game, whereas TSO was based around 'grinding' - gnomes, jams or whatever for many years and apart from the monthly subscription or third party sites, no other real money was needed to play. That was a huge part of its appeal. When EA ripped that part out and said that they no longer 'give away' game money but you have to spend real money instead, the vast majority of the playerbase simply refused to do so because it went completely against the culture that TSO had established for itself.

Remember how Dragon's Cove failed because making money was so much harder than regular cities? Same principle.

If EA had opened a separate city, based on a 'real cash' economy as an experiment, and left the rest of the game exactly as it was, I am convinced that we would never have recieved the 90 day notice and facing the death of something we loved.

4. coz1969

coz1969 Guest

I'd have to agree with you there.... if we had been allowed to keep doing what we do best in production cities, and EA came up with a whole new game, inviting us to beta test for free... we'd certainly be looking at a brighter gaming future.

I've looked at other games that STARTED out based on microtransactions and real world economy, and many of those games are successful.... Entropia (yeah, I'd never heard of it either... but looks incredibly entertaining) SL, and a multitude of others.

Sure, eventually TSO would have had the plug pulled... but not without having a better game in it's place.

5. aldldl

aldldl Guest

I never thought of this aspect, I bet your atleast partly right. I believe that there was more then one thing that brought the game down, not just the ATM/Cash-out, or the city merge but more then that and all added togeather.

Note: I thought that (city merge) was a good idea in theory, more people to know and have fun with, A nation of sims instead of just the individual cities. But then I was not a player long enough to get attached to one city before the move.

6. Milton

Milton Guest

We rebelled against microtransactions when they surveyed about it circa 2003.

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!