1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[NEWS] Brief Downtime Tomorrow

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Larisa, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Brief Downtime Tomorrow
    Jeremy Dalberg
    23 Sep 2008 18:05:57

Tomorrow, Sept 23rd, at noon EST, we'll be doing some hardware maintenance. The login servers and some subsystems (housing, vet rewards, etc) will be unavailable for approximately 45 minutes. Thanks!

2. K'torr

K'torr Guest

Isn't today Sept 23rd?

3. :coco:

4. K'torr

K'torr Guest

Just want to be sure. Wife's bday is the 25th, and if I miss that, you all won't be seeing me for a while.

5. Ken of Napa

Stratics Veteran

LoL !!

Ain't it the truth! My wife's B'day was the 20th, almost forgot ::shudders:::sad3:

Thank God my Daughter reminded me ;)

6. My kid was the 20th ... today (23rd) is wife. I think I got her something ummmm, unique. yeah, that's the word.

I made arrangements with her brother, his wife and their daughter to continually call my wife on her cell, wish "Happy Birthday!" and hang up until the proper amoount of calls had been placed.

I'll take full responsibility for up to her age, but after that them other folks are all to blame! And gentleman that I am I will not divulge my wife's age even if she is 55.

7. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

maybe this means 11th year anniversay gifts!

8. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

:DFunny!

9. Snakeman

Snakeman UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

We must have think alike daughters Ken, for mine did the same thing. My wifes was also on the 20th & I had almost forgot. That would not of been good for my environment at all :twak:. :D

10. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

LOL Oh good, it's not just me. I've tried to write the 22nd all day. I swear it's still Monday. Sadly they tell me it's not.:scholar: That's a good guess though on the anniversary, but I have my doubts considering systems listed, but I do hope I'm wrong.

Oriana

11. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Yeah - for some reason Tuesday this week, felt like Monday, all day. Heck, I even checked the wrong web-comics for updates (I read some that are MWF and some that are TThSt)

12. Rix/\

Rix/\ Guest

housing still unavailable, was that 45 min real time or UO time?

13. Well, when she picked me up from work at Midnight she had gotten around 60 calls ... 55 + one to grow on, one for good health, etc. She was laughing. Now I gotta figure out how to top it next year.

I have a feeling I will be repaid in March when I hit 61. Something just tells me ...

14. Get the biggest box you can find. Fill a bunch of 2 liter bottles with water, and secure them insde the box with newspaper and tape so they can't move around. Place the gift you're giving her in the very center of the box, with the bottles of water surrounding it. Use consecutively smaller boxes inside, with the gift finally inside the final box. When you wrap the box, wrap the paper very tightly so there are no wrinkles that can be grabbed and ripped, then using packing tape, tape every seam and corner of the paper so there are no places she can get her fingers or nails into.

Kick back and watch her spend an hour trying to open the box. :D

I did this to my oldest daughter's Christmas present last year. She finally gave up after a half hour of trying to get it open. :hahaha:

15. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Seems like this has been delayed....??

16. I just logged out anticipating it, but I didn't see any message saying the server would be going down before I had. It's about time for a nap anyway...

:sleep2:

17. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

I wonder if she might have meant noon Pacific Time, which would be 3:00 pm Eastern Time.

18. RedRum

RedRum Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I'm thinking it might be September 23rd, 2009 at noon EST, seeing as the post was made yesterday, September 23rd, 2008 at 18:05 EST and there are no problems loggin in/out, back in/out at this time. Fair warning, and beware come noon EST September 23rd, 2009. ;)

19. athos_uo

athos_uo Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Is this meant as "real" EST?

You Americans often use EST as EDT. But this "EST" is really "EST", that is "EDT minus one hour".

So, does maintenance starts at noon real EST, which is 1:00 EDT?

20. I'm sure they meant the current Eastern Time, which right now would be 12:24pm.

21. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

That's a good point, Athos. If you live in the U.S., it is just odd at this time of the year to see someone give time references in Standard time because Daylight Savings Time is so prevelant. When I see someone use it at this time of the year, I tend to think first that it was a mistake. But in this case perhaps it is accurate. The date in the announcement, however, clearly seems to be a mistake.

22. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

My husband had better NEVER forget my bday since it's also our anniversary.

hehe..I picked that day for us to get married so I wouldn't forget our anny date.

23. athos_uo

Stratics Veteran

Jeremy usually uses EDT as EST. When she says ??:?? EST, it is actually ??:?? EDT.

But this time maintenance team gave her time of maintenance, and they use EST as real EST. Jeremy posted it as it was, and we recognize it as EDT.

24. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Athos, does the official UO site in Japanese have a different message posted about this down-time? If yes, what's the time in that announcement?

25. Evilminion

Evilminion Guest

This is why I always say "Pacific time" when I'm telling somebody to meet me online, instead of "PST", because I'll be dipped if I can ever figure out whether we're in Daylight Savings or not. I never forget to set my clocks back, of course, since my computer reminds me. :D But I can never remember which half of the year is which!

26. athos_uo

Stratics Veteran

Official Japanese site posts the same. They understand "at noon EST" as "at noon EDT".

27. Hmmmm, not shabby. Mebbe I fill her car with packing "popcorn"? Ah heck ... I have 9 months before the pressure starts rising!

28. athos_uo

Stratics Veteran

The maintenance of login server or etc at this time of the year...does this mean that coming back campaign starts?