1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[News] FoF: Fletching, Finally

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Larisa, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Posted to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uoherald.com/news/>uoherald.com's</a> <a target="_blank" href=http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday86.html>Five on Friday:</a> <blockquote><span class=osi>

[​IMG]

<font size=+1>FoF: Fletching, Finally
    </font> Jeremy Dalberg
    25 Jan 2008 17:53:08

"Enhanced Bandages - do they help if you're already at your skill cap," redux:

Leurocian looked over this again, and it turns out while we were partly right, we were also definitely wrong: </p>

"Using enhanced bandages - even if you’re at your healing cap - will affect the amount of hit points healed. Enhanced bandages essentially adds 10 to your healing skill for the purposes of calculating the amount of hit points healed."</p>

What they do NOT do is improve your success chance (say, for resurrection, which is 64% at GM.) So if you're capped out, they do provide a benefit, but it's a very specific benefit.</p>

(Note: if you're NOT at the cap, one other thing enhanced bandages can do is bump you up over the minimum skill requirements for curing poison (60) and resurrecting (80.) You'll have a pretty low success chance, and you won't be able to gain skill from those attempts, but you can try 'em.)</p>

Thanks to Athos for very kindly pointing out that we'd overlooked something :)</p> "What are the property and intensity ranges for runic saws and fletcher's tools??"

Well, this one's long overdue, isn't it? <a target="_blank" href=http://guide.uo.com/itemproperties_3.html> Here Ya Go! </A></p>

(Incidentally, I'm convinced that one of the reasons that the guide is so behind is that no one wanted to make all those fiddly little item graphics into transparent gifs. Oh, Fletcher's Tool, how I loathe thee!)</p> "How are the various Chivalry spells' duration determined?"

There are three spells in Chivalry that have a variable duration - Enemy of One, Divine Fury, and Consecrate Weapon. Turns out they use very nearly the same formula. (Warning, math ahead!)</p>

The base formula is as follows: duration in seconds = (square root(karma + 20000 + (Chivalry*100)) / divisor) The "divisor" part is the bit that varies from skill to skill - for EoO it is 1, for Divine Fury it is 10, and for Consecrate Weapon it is 20. "Karma" can be anything from -20000 to 20000. Chivalry can, obviously, be anything from 0 to 120. It's also all converted to an integer, so fractions are dropped. </p>

As for the actual results, for people who don't want to play with spreadsheets:</p>

Enemy of One: 109 seconds at -20000 karma, 178 seconds at 0 karma, 228 seconds at 20000 karma</p>

Divine Fury: 10 seconds at -20000 karma, 17 seconds at 0 karma, 22 seconds at 20000 karma</p>

Consecrate Weapon: 5 seconds at -20000 karma, 8 seconds at 0 karma, 11 seconds at 20000 karma</p> "Does the Jack of All Trades bonus affect the parry/bushido relationship?"

First of all, a few explanations:</p>

Jack of All Trades: a human racial bonus that gives humans a bit of skill (+20) in everything. (This ONLY serves as a minor chance to succeed at untrained skills - it doesn't affect a skill at all once you train it past 20.)</p>

Bushido and Parry: Bushido gives a bonus to your chance to parry with weapons, but reduces your chance to parry with a shield.</p>

What the question is really asking is, does that +20 Bushido from JoAT reduce my chance to parry with a shield? And the answer is no - the JoAT bushido has no effect on your ability to parry whatsoever. Leurocian was particularly thorough with this one - JoAT was specifically designed not to have that effect, and it says so in the code itself, the actual scripts don't use that modifier, plus Leurocian wrote a test script just to make sure, and, sure enough, JoAT does not reduce your parry chance with a shield.</p> "When's the next patch, and what's going to be in it?"

We're looking tentatively at getting the next publish out to TC the first week in February - we've got a pretty solid handful of bug fixes planned for it (KR, 2D, and gameplay bugs) we're in the process of looking over the BOD bug fixes and runic intensity tweaks, and, of course, the next event will be included in this one.</p> Jacksonville Town Hall

Remember, the first Town Hall of the new year will be March 1 in Jacksonville, FL at Dave and Busters. The RSVP page isn't updated yet, but you can get the address and time on our <a target="_blank" href=http://town.uo.com/luncheon.html> Town Hall Page </A> - we'd love to see you all there!</p>

Hope everyone had a lovely week - enjoy your weekend!</p>

Jeremy</p>

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Somehow I feel like the yard dog that was expecting a ham bone and just saw a chicken bone tossed into my dish. Another week to wait for something really good to read.

3. I dunno about that Duncan, I saw something very good in there. At least it was for me.

Specifically, the next event will be going on TC soon.

4. Thanks.

Those durations are for GM chivalry, btw.

at 70 chivalry, consecrate is 4/8/10, divine is 8/16/21, and Eo1 is 83/164/216

OZ

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Legendary, actually - thanks for catching that.

6. <blockquote><hr>

Somehow I feel like the yard dog that was expecting a ham bone and just saw a chicken bone tossed into my dish. Another week to wait for something really good to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet again Friday, and another whine that something specific to you didn't get answered. It might help if you actually asked a specific question, and put it directly to Jeremy, instead of the once a week vague complaint. Unless I completely missed it (or intentionally passed it on by) I don't recall you asking anything specific.

I just want to say Thank You Jeremy. There's some very useful informtion there, and I know more than one person in the Warrior forum that will be happy to know the answer to the Parry &amp; JOAT question. I, and quite a few others, now understand exactly how the Enhanced bandages apply to the Healing skill and can now adjust our templates accordingly to take this into account. We've obviously misunderstood this since they came out. I also notice that there really is a significant difference with max karma, and now can tell when I've reached that point. 22 seconds is much longer than I'm currently timing at, so I guess I've got quite a bit of work to do.

There was some good info in this FoF, regardless of what the Pom Pom burners might think.

Ra Ra Sis Boom Ba. [​IMG]

7. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet again Friday, and another whine that something specific to you didn't get answered. It might help if you actually asked a specific question, and put it directly to Jeremy, instead of the once a week vague complaint. Unless I completely missed it (or intentionally passed it on by) I don't recall you asking anything specific.

I just want to say Thank You Jeremy. There's some very useful informtion there, and I know more than one person in the Warrior forum that will be happy to know the answer to the Parry &amp; JOAT question. I, and quite a few others, now understand exactly how the Enhanced bandages apply to the Healing skill and can now adjust our templates accordingly to take this into account. We've obviously misunderstood this since they came out.

There was some good info in this FoF, regardless of what the Pom Pom burners might think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been asking the same question for a while. What are you doing or are going to do about scripters and Im not the only one interested. No one ever answers (waits for someone to say *they never will cause they dont discuss bla bla bla)

8. 'No one ever answers"

They have answered. They've plainly stated they won't discuss what they're doing because they don't want to tip off the scripters. Sucks not to be in the loop, but I can understand why they want to keep it to themselves. If they announced they were going to do XXX, then the scripters would just increase production on XXX, which is the opposite of what they want to have happen.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to say Thank You Jeremy. There's some very useful informtion there, and I know more than one person in the Warrior forum that will be happy to know the answer to the Parry &amp; JOAT question. I, and quite a few others, now understand exactly how the Enhanced bandages apply to the Healing skill and can now adjust our templates accordingly to take this into account. We've obviously misunderstood this since they came out. I also notice that there really is a significant difference with max karma, and now can tell when I've reached that point. 22 seconds is much longer than I'm currently timing at, so I guess I've got quite a bit of work to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think of my post as a whine and don't think it qualifies as such. I was expecting something better than what we have been getting the past few weeks. I should have known better. Not all of us are going to be able to be at the Town Hall. I am glad you found this FoF of benefit to you.

10. Awww! all that update work ... and IF the bod changes do go in ... [​IMG] Do Over! ... [​IMG][​IMG]

ahhhh!
    o'well ..
    creates time to spread the intensities bump over to the fletcher/saw runics ...
    (ya know your gonna hafta ...)
    [​IMG]

11. Jhym

Jhym Guest

You might want to update the bottom part of the runics sheet to include the number of charges for each type of runic. Right now it only has hammer runics.

Or add the charges into the tables.

Otherwise, nice to have [​IMG]

12. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

<blockquote><hr>

You might want to update the bottom part of the runics sheet to include the number of charges for each type of runic. Right now it only has hammer runics.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Runics confuse me anyway!!

13. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

<blockquote><hr>

I didn't think of my post as a whine and don't think it qualifies as such. I was expecting something better than what we have been getting the past few weeks. I should have known better. Not all of us are going to be able to be at the Town Hall. I am glad you found this FoF of benefit to you.

[/ QUOTE ]You'll have to forgive Connor. For some strange reason, he's still a full-steam-ahead fanboi of the current lackluster DevTeam over at EA.

Me... I think FoF stands for "Full of Fluff."

I'm still waiting to hear what exciting plans are in the future for the game whose exciting, new client is still an exciting, incomplete mess, and whose next expansion pack isn't even being discussed openly at this point.

But I guess some people are happy with what EA provides. *shrugs* I wasted more than enough faith on the KR client and this DevTeam, stood up to friends who assured me that KR was going to be the same EA balogna as it has been for years and years, and I stood up for this DevTeam saying that they do care, that KR is the future of UO, that great things are coming, that people should be excited about KR, that things are only going to get better, that even though I know EA's history, the KR client won't be released ahead of schedule.

By my scorecard, I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong.

I won't be making that mistake again.

KR should have been the future of UO. The way it's implemented, it'll be just another 3D. And we all know how that one ended.

As for UO's future... I guess they're still working on their plans for the year. I don't know about you, but since January's almost over, they've announced nothing, and really, their upcoming fixes tell us about as much as they always do (vague, vague, and vague), I for one am more than concerned about UO's future in the hands of EA Mythic. But I suppose it can't be worse than in EA's hands.

14. "their silence it the only thing keeping the rest of the UO players from starting to script."

Most people don't read these forums, so that's not it. Most people simply realized when they became adults that by cheating they only cheat themselves. It's your own conscience you have to answer to, and personally, mine is crystal clear.

15. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]You'll have to forgive Connor. For some strange reason, he's still a full-steam-ahead fanboi of the current lackluster DevTeam over at EA.

Me... I think FoF stands for "Full of Fluff."

I'm still waiting to hear what exciting plans are in the future for the game whose exciting, new client is still an exciting, incomplete mess, and whose next expansion pack isn't even being discussed openly at this point.

But I guess some people are happy with what EA provides. *shrugs* I wasted more than enough faith on the KR client and this DevTeam, stood up to friends who assured me that KR was going to be the same EA balogna as it has been for years and years, and I stood up for this DevTeam saying that they do care, that KR is the future of UO, that great things are coming, that people should be excited about KR, that things are only going to get better, that even though I know EA's history, the KR client won't be released ahead of schedule.

By my scorecard, I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong.

I won't be making that mistake again.

KR should have been the future of UO. The way it's implemented, it'll be just another 3D. And we all know how that one ended.

As for UO's future... I guess they're still working on their plans for the year. I don't know about you, but since January's almost over, they've announced nothing, and really, their upcoming fixes tell us about as much as they always do (vague, vague, and vague), I for one am more than concerned about UO's future in the hands of EA Mythic. But I suppose it can't be worse than in EA's hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were running for president, Id vote for you.

16. "You'll have to forgive Connor. For some strange reason, he's still a full-steam-ahead fanboi of the current lackluster DevTeam over at EA."

If being a "fanboi" (extremely stupid phrase btw, EXTREMELY stupid. shows lots of immaturity any time it's used, in my oh so humble opinion) means enjoying playing the game more than being concerned about being "in the know" as to what's going on over at corporate, or having my personal wishes catered to, then yeah, label me with this idiotic label, because I have a blast every day that I log on.

It's just too bad that so many posters here can't grasp the fact that they're supposed to be having fun, not worrying about what some suit has planned.

17. <blockquote><hr>

Thanks to Athos for very kindly pointing out that we'd overlooked something [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thank you very much, madam Jeremy and sir Leurocian, for that you posted the good truth and you mentioned me in the post on UO Herald ( bows deeply to the ground), but I must state one thing: it is not me but my two friends, Erica and Chrome, that have tested literaly hundred times and found the miraculous truth in Britannia. I did only post results of their efforts on Stratics.

Thanks again for your good work!

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank god a new event. I hope its along the lines of something that will occupy a person for a while rather than a one day find the clues sort of affair, as nice as those are, I'm bored to death.

19. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Connor , I don't know how you do it, but you are truly blessed. You're the only one that can post on these boards, and make personal insulting comments to other posters, disguise it as public opinion, and get away with it. [​IMG]

20. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

"You'll have to forgive Connor. For some strange reason, he's still a full-steam-ahead fanboi of the current lackluster DevTeam over at EA."

If being a "fanboi" (extremely stupid phrase btw, EXTREMELY stupid. shows lots of immaturity any time it's used, in my oh so humble opinion) means enjoying playing the game more than being concerned about being "in the know" as to what's going on over at corporate, or having my personal wishes catered to, then yeah, label me with this idiotic label, because I have a blast every day that I log on.

It's just too bad that so many posters here can't grasp the fact that they're supposed to be having fun, not worrying about what some suit has planned.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one simple truth that you fail to realize Connor, is that Ultima Online is a service. A subscription service. We pay up to what...$12.99 per month? People here are complaining, and rightly so, at a severe lack of communication from the Dev team. The move is over, and they have had a month to conduct meetings and inspect their navels.

Three conclusions may be reached from this state of affairs.

1) They are horribly understaffed and under motivated. (Draconi aside)

2) They couldn't care less about the game, and are just collecting paychecks.

3) EA Mythic is poorly run, poor at communication, and is stalling - Devoting its resources to newer games.

None of these conclusions are happy ones. Personally, I'm guessing it is a mix of 1 and 3. We have been promised 'exciting news' for three weeks now, only to be told 'one more approval pending' and then silence. The carrot dangling from the stick is looking a tad shriveled and anemic.

The FoF, while… nice… is a distraction tactic. “Look over here! Ignore the lack of activity on every other front…” The sheer fact that incorrect answers continue to pop up in the list is evidence that these are last minute and considered trivial.

EA Mythic need to get their ducks in a row and provide the same level of service as Sony, Blizzard, etc.

I have fun in UO, but I’m tired of seeing friends gone for long stretches of time due to lack of dynamic content, 10 year old bugs, rampant and completely unaddressed scripting/cheating, etc.

By all means gave fun in UO, encourage others to try even. But take the blinders off your eyes. Britain is burning…

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I wanted to know a few things myself that maybe you folks may know, maybe I just missed it or misunderstood. About enhanced aides. what I gather is that basically at 70 skill you can still resurect someone. But lets say you have 80 skill would that give you the no fail 90 mark, or just be able to ressurect and heal a few more hitpoints?

Ok, 2nd was when I looked at the materials bonus page I didnt notice the types of woods listed and there properties, Im perty sure though its posted somewhere.

They said they where gonna tweak the intensity ranges on runics, makes me nervous, wish I had a good crafter to burn up what few kits I got.(but then again I heard rumor once that you would sort of be able to pick and choose proporties!) Im sure there was something else but I get to rambling and Ive got a terrible memory.

And Ive got a karma question. Im not gaining karma from shadow wyrms anymore, and other then balrons I havn't found anything with lower karma.
    I just started looking into paragon karma, what Id like is a few suggestions for a pally archer to solo, ancient wyverns arent a problem but let me tell ya somethin about them para ancients! ooh buddy.
    Thanks [​IMG]

22. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

I really can't wait for the runic changes and the upcoming event. *paces*

23. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Looking forward for the runic/BoD changes. [​IMG]

*Wonders what town we going to burn next*

24. [​IMG]
    well ...
    at Fame: Level 5 (22500) Karma: Level 5 (-22500) (here)

maybe Paragons ARE what ya need ... whats your Fame/Karma title now?

25. Guest

Guest Guest

BOD changes are VERY highly looked towards.

Event... kid of depends on what that will be.

KR bug fixes... wish we had some details on this one. Can't wait to see the list of bug fixes so that I know what to target test-wise and what needs to be sent in via more bug reports. Been a long time since its been worth sending one because there hasn't been anything new to send one about lately. Once we get some movement on the bug fixing side, we can figure out what needs to be next.

26. JoyousGard

JoyousGard Guest

February is going to be big, then, eh? Fine.

We need news on a storyline. What is the story? Is that crazy lady going to start saying things again?

When will the stories start again?

27. Al Thorin

Al Thorin Guest

<blockquote><hr>

'No one ever answers"

They have answered. They've plainly stated they won't discuss what they're doing because they don't want to tip off the scripters. Sucks not to be in the loop, but I can understand why they want to keep it to themselves. If they announced they were going to do XXX, then the scripters would just increase production on XXX, which is the opposite of what they want to have happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It you can swallow that, than I salute you. Bile has never been my thing.

MMO's have a faster development time than EA's time frame for reducing, enforcing.. well, doing anything with cheating. We have every right to complain about the time it's taking, and the impact it has in the meantime.

Scripting and exploiting has perverted almost every aspect of the game, and you are content to silently wait for EA to do 'something'? Simply Amazing.

28. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

Al, your sig is still the greatest ever. [​IMG]

29. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not many people do BODs anymore. They should be focusing on making bigger fixes/changes to the game that will affect more people.

30. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not many people do BODs anymore. They should be focusing on making bigger fixes/changes to the game that will affect more people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many people on LA doing them either, but damn there's a lot of avatars doin em. I logged in at 4am this morning, and the same ones were still at it. Truly amazing people, rediculous stamina, will power beyond belief, they never eat, they never sleep, they never, ummm......"there was one?"

31. Guest

Guest Guest

rtlpfc

Bods it is a pity they let them die before tweaking one of the most satisfying parts of the game for non fighting players

32. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many people PvP, lets toss that too! [​IMG]

If you start to think like that then don't work on anything at all. [​IMG]

33. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

<blockquote><hr>

"What are the property and intensity ranges for runic saws and fletcher's tools??"
    Well, this one's long overdue, isn't it? Here Ya Go!

(Incidentally, I'm convinced that one of the reasons that the guide is so behind is that no one wanted to make all those fiddly little item graphics into transparent gifs. Oh, Fletcher's Tool, how I loathe thee!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy, here we go. I'm going to grit my teeth and try to be civil about this one.

Its nice that you finally (after 2+ years) got around to posting this info on UO.com - it would really be nice if you would actually publish ALL the information.

Its cute and all that you have an intensity chart - but your first mistake here is assuming that the properties and max intensities are the same as tailor/smith but they aren't. There are clearly different caps when working with Bows. I don't know if this is intended or not but I have crafted ruinic bows with HCI of 25+ and with Luck over 140. This should NOT be possible according to the intensity ranges of magic properties.

IE - Yew wood adds 5% HCI so our cap should be 20%. However, I can easily show you bows with well over 20% HCI. How do you explain this?

Either these runics can stack properties like tailor/smith ones cannot or you have different intensity ranges. IE maybe Fletching kits have an HCI range from 1-25? I have no idea here - so that is why you SHOULD DOCUMENT THIS.

I know ML runic stuff was likely coded by some intern that had no clue how smith/tailor crafting worked - but it would be helpful if you document what the actual system is that he/she put in instead of blindly thinking that crafting of these items is the same as smith/tailor. It is CLEARLY not.

See the images below I JUST created on Test Center1. This took me less than 2 min to verify this issue. How come your QA hasn't noticed this in 2.5 years?

I grabbed Yew wood (HCI 5, DI 10) and a heartwood runic kit. I created 10 bows. These were 2 of the 10.

One has HCI 25 which should NOT be possible. HCI 15 (100% intensity) + HCI 5 = 20% Please explain 25%?

The next has Luck 106. Luck should go from 1-100. Oak wood (not used) adds 40. How did I get 106 Luck on a non-oak piece?

I know its embarassing that your players know the game better than the devs. Please don't insult our intelligence by posting these half correct answers to items.

[​IMG]

34. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm not saying they have to focus on PVP but they should focus on anything that will affect the largest number of players. Players are bored and begging for new stuff to keep them interested. BODs are not new, not interesting and not fun. The developers have already acknowledged this years ago.

35. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm not saying they have to focus on PVP but they should focus on anything that will affect the largest number of players. Players are bored and begging for new stuff to keep them interested. BODs are not new, not interesting and not fun. The developers have already acknowledged this years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes your right, don't fix anything , just put in alot more new stuff! [​IMG]

Maybe there is a reason why people don't do it, maybe changing would make more peopel do it? Might want to think about it. [​IMG]

They need to do both! [​IMG]

36. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

"their silence it the only thing keeping the rest of the UO players from starting to script."

Most people don't read these forums, so that's not it. Most people simply realized when they became adults that by cheating they only cheat themselves. It's your own conscience you have to answer to, and personally, mine is crystal clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

You take yourself and UO far too seriously. Trust me, the people over the past decade who have cheated at this game to profit did so and continue to do so with a conscience just as clear as yours (more in their bank account from it though). They sleep very well at night and don't give a second thought to the damage they have done to UO. It's just a game. They cheated at it. They profited, but technically they've done nothing illegal. Cheating at blackjack at your local casino, yes, the police want to have a word with you. Exploiting bad programming in an online game, not so much.

I don't blame them, I blame EA. They dropped the ball. On top of that they don't even bother to try and clean up the mess even when their noses are rubbed in it! Feel free to refer to the latest Vine Cord mess, the changling duped items still everywhere, the majority of the gold in the economy that sure as hell was never looted from a dead monsters body. [​IMG]

37. Guest

Guest Guest

In defense of Connor, the Archery tip you recently posted is great for do-it-yourself'rs, and you post a bevy for the bushido warrior set. Of course, to side with EA here is to open yourself wide to attack. In this case, I have to say, especially with regard to the JOAT Parry/Bushido part of this week's set, who didn't already know that EA changed this as to have no negative effect on humans? I guess enough people, but, either way, it is not new information, whereas the Enhanced Bandages info is definitely new, and useful data, the kind of info all five questions should meet every week. EA, I'd suggest, since no one is going to read through a potentially outdated FoF series, to post what you write for FoF on the websites which correlate with the information. For the Bushido website, post the info about JOAT and Parry (and on the Parry page too, for good measure).

38. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BOD changes will revitalize crafting (as if people aren't making fortunes as crafters as it is, 16 mil heartwood kits, yeesh). My friends throw away lesser runics, as do I, and it would be so cool if the original intended plans for BODs made it in and people didn't have to toss any kits into the trash. Speaking of low end runics, is the Oak Fletch Kit correct? One percent minimum? ...What the hell? Personally, I would never do the quests to end up with something that made worse loot than I could obtain from killing an Orc on my passing from Delucia to Papua (have to keep those imaginary trade routes clear of bandits!).

Also, to the person who joked about not many people PvPing, PvP is still everything to this game. Without PvP, crafters would be out of business, and PvM would become so boring. I can't imagine anyone playing for personal goals without PvP. How sad that would be. If not for PvP, there would be no UO. It would turn into The Sims Online.

39. <blockquote><hr>

"How are the various Chivalry spells' duration determined?"
    There are three spells in Chivalry that have a variable duration - Enemy of One, Divine Fury, and Consecrate Weapon. Turns out they use very nearly the same formula. (Warning, math ahead!)

The base formula is as follows: duration in seconds = (square root(karma + 20000 + (Chivalry*100)) / divisor) The "divisor" part is the bit that varies from skill to skill - for EoO it is 1, for Divine Fury it is 10, and for Consecrate Weapon it is 20. "Karma" can be anything from -20000 to 20000. Chivalry can, obviously, be anything from 0 to 120. It's also all converted to an integer, so fractions are dropped.

As for the actual results, for people who don't want to play with spreadsheets:

Enemy of One: 109 seconds at -20000 karma, 178 seconds at 0 karma, 228 seconds at 20000 karma

Divine Fury: 10 seconds at -20000 karma, 17 seconds at 0 karma, 22 seconds at 20000 karma

Consecrate Weapon: 5 seconds at -20000 karma, 8 seconds at 0 karma, 11 seconds at 20000 karma[/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who in their right mind would want to wait 109 seconds for an EOO spell to go off? More to the point wouldn't Chivalry's slowest speed be lower-end capped at something like a reasonable two seconds or four seconds or whatever anyway?

Something doesn't sound quite right for those posted formulas.

Obviously something would kick in somewhere for Chivalry spells, or there is a bug in the system which is making these spells actually wait that long before going off. So which is it?

Oh, and by the way if you try it in your PC's calculator, the square root function won't square a negative number. There would have to be an absolute() statement in there converting it to a positive number somewhere or hope for a positive outcome for it to be working. I would expect most spreadsheets pretty much behave the same way with negative numbers. I can't even begin to imagine what the UO servers would be doing if asked to perform illegal calculations. [​IMG]

Cheers ...

DarkVoid

40. "Also, to the person who joked about not many people PvPing, PvP is still everything to this game."

That's purely your opinion and nothing more. More people are of the opinion that PvM makes up the larger part of UO. Seems EA Mythic does as well.

"Without PvP, crafters would be out of business, and PvM would become so boring."

Again, nothing more than your opinion, not fact. The people I hunt with PvM ONLY, and we all find it far from boring.

"I can't imagine anyone playing for personal goals without PvP."

I can point you to quite a few. Regardless of what you might think, PvP is NOT the end game of UO. It's certainly one avenue, but by no means the only path that may be taken.

41. <blockquote><hr>

"Does the Jack of All Trades bonus affect the parry/bushido relationship?"

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks to Leurocian for your efforts to clarify our questions! I appreciate your kind efforts and they are of cource very valuable at any time.

... But we had already a comment of MrTact in this case(Cf. MrTact's post on Stratics of Aug-8-2005 in Lycaeum Net):
    <blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

MrTact, some of us here have been dying on SOME word from one of you guys on the latent bushido humans will have, and its potential to ruin shield-parrying for humans. Care to share some wisdom with us? Is it possible to have this negative synergy removed or set to a higher level of bushido?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, since I was working in the parry code on ML, I reckon I can share this comment I found with you:

// Calculate the defenders bushido by getting the real base skill value
    // plus any magic mods, this way the jack of all trades bonus doesnt
    // get factored in. Since bushido can make parrying less effective
    // we dont want to count it.

Does that answer your question?

MrTact
    Designer/Engineer, UO Live
    08/08/05 02:18 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
    The efforts of Leurocian are of course still valuable because the designs might be changed. But at least we could know how bushido/parry was designed at first, which would reduce devs' as well valuable time to investigate.

42. "Karma" can be anything from -20000 to 20000.

(karma + 20000 + (Chivalry*100))

"duration" is DIFFERENT from "cast time"

I can't even begin to imagine what ... [​IMG]

Oh! [​IMG]

never mind

burma Bur bur Burma burma [​IMG]

*math in the hall*
    sqrt1 = 1
    sqrt0 = 0
    0/n = 0
    ie. casting a chiv spell with 0 chiv ... has 0 result ... [​IMG]
    darkvoid indeeeeeed

43. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

<blockquote><hr>

Also, to the person who joked about not many people PvPing, PvP is still everything to this game. Without PvP, crafters would be out of business, and PvM would become so boring. I can't imagine anyone playing for personal goals without PvP. How sad that would be. If not for PvP, there would be no UO. It would turn into The Sims Online.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me. [​IMG]

And you said it right, it was a joke. Just to point out they don't just need to work on new stuff only but also on stuff that is broken or not working as intended like the Bod/Runic system.
    They also need to change things that are in game that might not have alot of interest. Maybe these changes will give a reason to more people do these stuff. Like BoDs and like PvP. Focusing on new things only is not the right way.

There needs to be a good balance to keep enough interesting things to do in Crafting,Events, PvP and PvM.Sometimes changing old things will help all facets of the game.

I don't PvP myself but that don't mean i don't want any improvement in PvP. Things needs to be fun no matter what your playstyle is. [​IMG]

44. Guest

Guest Guest

I know the joat one had been answered before, but it wasn't documented explicitly anywhere I could find, and the question had come up. Now that we've done the research (again) I'll make sure it ends up in the playguide and in future cases we can just refer to it there. (Besides, we've found comments in the code more than once that turned out to be out-of-date or flatly untrue - I feel better now that Leurocian has cross-checked it.)

Chipping away at the documentation problem is one of my goals this year, and the FoF is one of my best tools, as I usually need a developer to find/translate the info in the first place.

Theo_GL, Leurocian pulled the runic intensity ranges directly from code, but obviously something odd is going on there. The ML-era code is screwier than most other eras, so I'm not surprised to hear it doesn't make any sense. I'll investigate next week - it's possible that either the intensity ranges themselves have been changed, or that there's some modifier on the wood properties that is messing with things, or any one of a number of other complications.

Also, noted on the request for charges - I can put those in the charts easily. Will do Monday.

Insanityisbliss, enhanced bandies don't change your success chance at all.

45. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These changes are long overdue and could very will increase BOD interest. I'm really looking forward to it.

46. 'These changes are long overdue and could very will increase BOD interest. I'm really looking forward to it. "

You're not the only one. Everyone I know in game is hording runic hammers and building up Smithing on other characters, getting prepared for the fix to go in. I've got around 60 or so myself, and BODS for a whole mess more.

47. <blockquote><hr>

I know the joat one had been answered before, but it wasn't documented explicitly anywhere I could find, and the question had come up. Now that we've done the research (again) I'll make sure it ends up in the playguide and in future cases we can just refer to it there. (Besides, we've found comments in the code more than once that turned out to be out-of-date or flatly untrue - I feel better now that Leurocian has cross-checked it.)

Chipping away at the documentation problem is one of my goals this year, and the FoF is one of my best tools, as I usually need a developer to find/translate the info in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks a lot for your clarification!

Oh, that's a good idea! It is one of the most problematic in UO that the synthetical document lacks, so I think your work is very important.

I'd like to add only one more thing: I posted my article rather for ourselves than for you, in order to admonish ourselves.

48. Guest

Guest Guest

Could not awaken a GM this morning. 3F caught in the act of luring in Doom

49. Guest

Guest Guest

You are most welcome [​IMG]

Incidentally, since I seem to be unable to get out of documentation-mode this morning, I've gotten the SE and ML special moves into the relevant guide page - I used the original ML documentation and/or in-game data, and I suspect it's not perfect. Please pick what nits y'all can find [​IMG]

50. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Infectious -- Infections

You might want to break out the SE and ML specials under separate sections, since you are required to have the upgrades to use them.