1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[News] Your Imagination, Let it Live Thru Them

Discussion in 'UO White Stag Inn' started by Merci d'Rue, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Merci d'Rue

Merci d'Rue Guest

Creating a Roleplay Character can seem a daunting task. However whether you are new to roleplay, returning to it after a break, or just looking for something different it is a deeply rewarding experience. Our characters are an extenuation of our imaginations. They breathe each breath we give them. They feel each tear or smile we dream for them. They are our private calm away from the storm.

I have asked several roleplayers from across the shards, what is the most important thing when creating a roleplay character. To their credit this was a hard task in that everyone has their own style, and no answer to this question is wrong. It is hard to define out one item when so many thoughts come to mind. Yet they did it, and we are greatly rewarded for their efforts. Below I have highlighted (in no particular order) five different things deemed highly important by random Roleplayers across the shards.

[​IMG]
    Backstory​

Never were words so true, but do it for yourself, to make your character come to life for you. While it helps others the truth is having a backstory gives you the foundation you need to begin.

Play to Their Flaws​

Flaws, weaknesses, we all have them. To make a character believable for yourself, and others you should give great thought to their vices. If they are perfect, why roleplay them? Why should others want to roleplay with you? The stories done, you have no where to go, and nothing to overcome. Often times the most rewarding roleplay has to do with vices, or flaws, be they great or small.

Have Fun!

Fun! Don't pick something that you wont enjoy in the long run. We are here to have fun I don't know how many people I know, who created a character on a whim for a joke or just to have fun, often it turned out to be a character they played the most.

[​IMG]
    Inspiration and Style

What inspires you. There are a million ways to play a type of character. Its all about style, making them your own, that defines us. Its what endears us to them and others. Their strengths, weaknesses, quirks, mannerisms. Its your creativity that builds them, enhances them, changes them, creativity is the key.

Love your Character

Do what you like, what you feel you can add realism to, whether you have researched it or know from personal experience. It will bring your character to life for you and others.

[​IMG]

The items above have dealt with the concepts and thoughts behind character creation. I also wanted to go over a few basics to help those new to roleplay get started, they are not rules set in stone, but I know they helped me when I started out.

A. Name- Give them a first and last name, maybe even a middle. You don't have to but often it helps.

B. Speech-consider how your character would talk, whether they would have an accent, perhaps they don't talk at all or rarely.

C. Apparel- How would they dress! From head to toe this helps the effect.

D. Profile- A Character profile is often useful. Things others would see on them that the game can not express. For example, Scars, Height,Weight, facial features, eye color. A distinct perfume or aroma.

Reporters Note: Thank you to all those that helped with this article. I appreciate the time, effort and care you put into your responses.

2. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Mm.

Now tell us about this Seraphina Wistas.

3. Merci d'Rue

Merci d'Rue Guest

*Winks* Coming to a Shard near you...

4. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Then I shall look forward to meeting her.

5. siyeng0

siyeng0 Guest

You have angered the ghost.

a woman necromancer

how ridiculous

women can't be necromancers

*rages impotently*

go back to cutting oilcloths you wretched creature and leave this noble art alone