1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

No More Castles

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Sir Stain, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Sir Stain

Sir Stain Guest

Castles are a pain. I run beside one, I lag. I enter one, I lag and crash. They take up too much area. They are only an image thing. I think house sizes should be limited to 14X14 or removed all together. I play on Origin, we have a lot of room there! I know your first thought!
  2. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Apr 26, 2008
    Castles? You mean those things with the highest storage limit in the game?

Custom houses lag me more, though I find even those acceptable most of the time.
  3. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Jul 1, 2008
    he loves open spaces...

he likes to run, and run, and run.

4. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Dec 23, 2007
    The fact that you lag and crash must be due to your internet connection or computer.
    Back 9 years ago the lag was a serious issue (I remember locking down 1000 roses, 500 fishing nets and other stuff in my castle and regularly crashing people), but now, with UO being a 10 y/o game, most people have a good internet connection and newer PCs, so the issue doesn't really exist anymore.

I like my castle and don't think they should be removed. Castles can't be duped, can't be scripted. My little utopia ;).
  5. Lord Kynd

Lord Kynd Guest

exactly , try upgrading your computer mainly video ram.
    it is not castles nor items in castles that lag/crash you, it's having a poor computer system.

i agree 100% with the person that posted about custom house's lagging people, they are terriable.
  6. Kojak

Kojak Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Jun 4, 2008
    1998 called - they want their computer back - hehe
  7. canary

canary Guest

Castles are eyesores, imo.

I prefer a custom 18x18, though I prefer location over size. I only own a 16x11 and am quite content with it. :)
  8. Harb

Harb Guest

I missed the spawn area where houses of any type were an impediment to game play :) To the eyesore thought, my guess is that castles and keeps would universally change their look were they customizable.
  9. canary

canary Guest

Yes because what UO desperately needs right now is a Bog Cube castle plot.

I can imagine the fun of having that much space but let's face facts... 90% of UO players can't design a house to save their life.
  10. Harb

Harb Guest

We already have it! 18x18s, side by side, and front to back :) If the two larger original structures were customizable, desirability levels would return. I've told the story before, but when the wife and I were reducing accounts from 4 to 2, we had 2 18x18s, a keep, and a castle. It might be surprizing to some, but it wasn't an easy decision deciding which houses to keep. We went for the two larger ones, due to storage, and only due to storage. We didn't know the clean up campaign was around the corner, or the decision may very well have been different.
  11. Omnicron

Omnicron Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Dec 14, 1999

Dont be a hater because my castle owns your 18x18.
  12. Tiamat

Tiamat Guest

A bunch of customizable 18x18's tends to create more lag than a castle, in my experience. For one thing, the customizeability means there's a separate model for each of them, and they also tend to have more items combined within them than one single castle does.