1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Non-UO: Windows DFS Replication

Discussion in 'UO Resources' started by Wulf2k, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

Anybody familiar with this?

Replication keeps crapping our about 25% of the way through a 130GB replication, and never completes.

Works fine for the smaller jobs, and it's not exceeding the replication staging area limit.

2. Shamus Turlough

Shamus Turlough Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

How many servers are in the DFS set, and are they both the same OS and patch level? Are either of them domain controllers? ICQ me at 276182740 and I should be able to help.

3. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

One's Win2K SP4, one's a domain controller running 2003. Can't recall the SP off-hand.

The 2K machine holds the roaming profiles, and is getting past its "best before" date. It was originally a stand-alone share, but I'm wanting to get it set up with DFS so that we can get the 2K server out of there.

Is there any good way of actually monitoring what DFS is doing? As it is, I make a change, then wait at least a half hour to see if anything's taken effect.

4. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

I have no production experience with DFS, just lab/classroom so I can't be much help.

I often find Microsoft Technet to be a good resource. Here is an article that may be of help to you until you can chat with Shamus realtime. There is a section that covers built-in tools for checking the replication status. Specifically:

Mark Minasi's newsletter (minasi.com), and forums are also a good resource for practical, real-world Windows admin procedures. I've bought some of his books in the past.

-Skylark

5. Shamus Turlough

Shamus Turlough Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Just for the record, we did talk a long time about this, and Wulf actually ended up finding out why it was stalling. The problem was with DFS trying to synchronize an open file on its initial copy.

@Skylark: We did look at some technet articles, but since this is old school DFS and not DFSr there are not very many resources available from technet.

Cheers! And I'm glad this was able to be solved.

6. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Well, that was the final problem. I wouldn't say it was the only problem.

But thanks for the help.