1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Noob loses house - or what?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by NilByMouth, May 22, 2010.

1. NilByMouth

NilByMouth Guest

Hiya, I returned to UO after an absence of 5 years or so and had a fun time re-establishing myself (on Europa). I built up a nice house, stocked it full of stuff for raising crafts, cashed in various game gifts and placed them in the house.

I then had to take a 4 month break and have just returned.

I was very surprised to see that my house has gone - although there is a different house in the same spot owned by someone else now.

I thought it was impossible to lose a house now in UO.

Anyone know what happened here?

2. AzSel

AzSel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

If you deactivated your account while you had your break it would make the house decay, usually takes a few days for a house to decay once the account its bound to is deactivated/unsubscribed.

3. NilByMouth

NilByMouth Guest

Aarrgh. I thought there was no decay on Trammel.

hey ho - bye bye all though scrolls and sewing kits, notto mention all those resources. :(

4. T-Hunt

T-Hunt Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yeppers when account is over house will stay for 90 days after that...

5. NilByMouth

NilByMouth Guest

I guess I missed the part about "as long as your account remains active" - and am too used to other games preserving your stuff.

Too pissed to play again - I guess this is a good test of whether I want to come back ;)

6. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Yeah stays for 90 days as others have said. Some are bugged and stay longer, but only supposed to be 90!

7. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Characters are kept, but housing space is too crowded on some shards (and would be on all shards) if the houses on inactive accounts did not eventually fall.

If you want to keep the house while you are not playing, you need to reactivate the account for 30-days about 88 days after you close the account.

Sorry to hear about the loss. :(

If you are going to be gone longer than 90 days, pack up what you want in banks and backpacks (even a blue beetle you are mounted on) so it will be there upon your return.

8. NilByMouth

NilByMouth Guest

Well, Im very annoyed - mostly with myself for not realising I would lose all those unique rewards (soulstone, bank recall orb etc.)

Shame the devs couldn't implement a simple email after say 2 months to warn inactive accounts they are about to lose their stuff. They might evene raise more revenue for the game that way.

Seems UO is a game for hardcore (or very rich) players! I'm unlikely to play continously, but do like the idea of dropping back in for a few months each year. On that basis I'd be limited to bank storage, which doesn't stretch that far - not great for someone with an emphasis on crafting.

9. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

UO isn't a game for only the hardcore...

There's plenty of bank storage between characters.. You can also have beetles packed full, etc.

Houses can't stay up forever on inactive accounts.. It'd be ugly. 90 days is plenty of time.

In fact, if you inform EA where you are, I've heard they'll even keep it up longer for you.

10. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

Oh! i am just outside of Brit, northeast a bit... is that a spot that it will stay up longer you think?

Oh wait, tell me you don't mean... no... not WOG??? Welfare for Online Games??

Just cause someone can't afford it? They get it for free???

*hangs head*

booooo

11. Derium of ls

Derium of ls Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

if my memory serves, I think 5 years ago when you left, house decay was still turned off. I don't remember when it came back on, but man... it was easier to find an IDOC than not almost

12. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Uhm other games don't have houses. And UO does preserve your stuff and chars, just not your houses, which is a good thing or the shards would be crowded with houses of long-inactive chars.

13. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

EA does send out an email if your account goes inactive due to non payment.. sometimes have to check spam/junk folder though to find it

14. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Plus they timer was supposed to be moved to 30 days instead of 90. not sure why they still sit at 90 but you never know anymore

15. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

They decided with the number of military reservist players, natural disasters (Hurricane Katrina, etc.) and the like to not implement the change to 30 days.

I remember the great house fall of 2004(or was it 2005?) quite fondly. It was like a second Christmas in January, as there was stuff all over the place, and the IDOCers couldn't even dream of getting it all.

I was still finding stacks of stuff over the decay weight limit (a limit since removed) a month after the falls were over, in remote housing spots that had only held 7x7s.

16. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

No. I meant I've heard of a couple people calling EA and explaining they were at "x" place and couldn't pay on time for whatever reason, and they've kept the house up.. I'm not sure what you mean?

17. NilByMouth

NilByMouth Guest

You need to get out more ;P

Thanks for all the replies folks.

18. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

In other games, the houses are instanced, ie not part of the world. Here it takes room. If everybody kept his house since Renaissance, it would have been very bad for all the new players that came and renewed the playerbase. Would you appreciate to see the world filled with houses of players who don't play anymore leaving you no room for yours, you who play the game daily?

19. Yes, they do. UO isn't the only MMO with housing. 2 others have it also that I know of, just not as well done as UO.

20. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie

You may try your luck at Europa soulstone graveyard.

21. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah

Very sorry you lost your stuff.

The more you blame EA for your loss (i.e. lack of warning, no notice, etc.) the longer you will stay bitter, and the longer it will take you to realize that the time spent bemoaning the losses could be time spent re-acquiring the items you lost.

You also now have more knowledge, so that you won't ever have to lose anything again, unless you choose to. I lost a small cabin "Back in The Day" when refreshes were mandatory, simply because I didn't have access to a computer, and the cabin and all my stuff went away. Really sucked.

I can't see where EA carries even one bit of responsibility, at all, though. I do feel bad you lost everything, but I do know for certain that every adversity carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit, for those with a Positive Mental Attitude.

I hope you choose to rebuild, and rebuild with a vengeance! Best of luck to you!

22. NilByMouth

NilByMouth Guest

Well ... I've got lucky finding a plot large enough for my ambitions close to mountains and trees. I thus need to apologise to all travellers north of Destard as I have rebuilt with my unparalleled lack of aesthetics!

As well stated above any set back is an opportunity, so I have more goals now that before. Still have a million gold left too - so as long as I stay away from the player vendors around Luna I'm feleling rich too. ;)

Peace all.

23. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah ok, Vanguard has houses...The Sims has been shut down, Second Life?

I am pretty sure all of them let houses fall if people deactivate their accounts.

I was really talking about MMOs that he was likely to come from.

24. NilByMouth

NilByMouth Guest

For the record, I started in UO shortly after launch (on Chessie). Then Drach when it launched.

Then switched to Asheron's Call for 5 years (with landscape housing, went through periods where houses lost and periods when no rent required).

Then tried WoW.

Most recently being playing LoTRO (instanced housing with escrow if rent not paid after 6 weeks i.e. house contents saved for you- although not sure escrow period is very long). Rent is moot, however, if you (like me) got a lifetime subscription (which pays for itself in under a year) - never have to re-sub, just have to remember to log in to pay rent.

25. gunneroforgin

gunneroforgin Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I am so sorry for your loss. the very best way to make sure you don't lose your house and stuff is, of course, is too put your account on a credit card where it is automatically paid.

26. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It is unfortunate that you lost your house. A lot of newer players don't realize house decay is tied to your account status. They have no idea when they turn off their account the house will decay. This should be made more clear when canceling your account and when placing a house.