1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Noobies are picky

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hell's Ironworks, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Hell's Ironworks

Hell's Ironworks Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Me : Anyone need a free plot?

( young ) PLayer : To build on ?

Me : Yes

( young ) PLayer : How big ?

Me : 9x14 3 storie

( Young ) PLayer : Oh nvm

lol, i started out with a bedroll and 100 gold! Guess we need to be handing out 18x18 now for new players to consider them ;)

Prolly a generationnal thing...

Just thought that was funny in some sad way :p

2. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

My initial thought was someone who knows houses can be bigger than 9x14 and three stories is probably not all that 'new'... ;)

Nimuaq likes this.
  3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

hehe how things change! We lived in the inn and saved for 6 months just to get a small marble shop.

4. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

I was a tailor and I'll never forget the joy I felt when I finally, after many months, hit my goal of amassing 10,000 gold pieces.

It went like this:
    Kill bears, get leather, make sandals till you can make shoes, make shoes till you can make boots. Kill bears to get more leather. Make boots till you can make thigh boots then life is good as the NPC's pay you much more for thigh boots. You made it! 10k gold finally in the bank.
    Nerf tailoring, go back to making shoes.:mad::yell::cursing::(

Take up swords.:thumbup:

#4 Amber Witch, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  5. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

I lived in an Inn throughout 1999-2002 (first in Minoc, later in Delucia), when I took a break. Didn't own my first house until I returned in 2008. :)

[​IMG]

#5 Taylor, Aug 1, 2012
  6. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

I lived from the bank when i started. Then after some time i placed me this tiny house on Fire Island.
    I remember when i had 10K of gold in my pocket from killing undead in Destard and then got killed from a Player Killer, The Guildmaster was very upset with me that i lost all that gold! :rolleyes:

7. Druido2

Druido2 Guest

Undead in destard?????
    I must be missing something.

8. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Oops yes, Deceit :)

Good thing there people like you pointing to others mistakes.

#8 Frarc, Aug 1, 2012
    Surgeries and Storm like this.
  9. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Ah....I remember my 1st house. Small Marble workshop.

What a great feeling finally getting enough gold and finding a place to build.

10. Specialshoes

Stratics Veteran

My first house. Wow I was a happy boy. Found a spot that I could place it. Jump to the bank to drop stuff off and pick up some aids. I then learned the valuble lesson about keeping deeds in packs as a nice thief all dressed in obnoxious green stole it from me. Top of the world to bottom of the mountain in minutes. Thankfully a guild member was around to help and replaced the deed for me.

11. Druido2

Druido2 Guest

Am always glad to help people like you ;)

12. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Small stone house on fire isle was my first. I'd sit in there and wait for people moving 2 steps at a time encumbered with gold on the way to their boats. Pounce, loot, stash gold & repeat. I really miss that house. ^^

13. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The game really has changed since most of us started.

If you read the forums, all you really see is how people have 18x18s or castles, all-70s suits, 100LRC, Millions in the bank.
    Not to say I agree with the looking of a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm not sure it's exactly surprising either.
    All it takes is some bold aspirations in game, and a new player mightn't want to leap at what, honestly, most players wouldn't look twice at

Druido2 and kelmo like this.
  14. Shakkara

Shakkara Slightly Crazed

First got co-ownered of a small tower near Skara Brae, then bought my first house many years later in Yew, Fel. Small stone workshop. Cost 600k or something, which was a fortune!
    (Prices were 500-750k for small house in fel, 1.5-2 mil for small house in tram, at that time!)

15. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I remember when I started creating locked small boxes so that I could drop the box somewhere under something hidden then the key 3 or 4 screens away.... then swapping characters real quick running getting the box then the key... to transfer items between my characters.

I remember it cost me 5 million gold to get my first house it was a small tower.

16. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

My first house was a small tower given to me by a player leaving the game on Catskills 10 some odd years ago. There was no place I could find to place then. That small tower was one of my most amazing/dazzling moments in my just over a decade of playing.

That would be an interesting thread by the way... Top 3/5/10 moments, happenings or occasions in UO.

17. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

lol
    "Master Bard"
    Noobie.

Syrus likes this.
  18. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Now Flutter... I remember you from 10 years ago... you had reserved parking at WBB... *winks*

19. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

I still do.
    And nobody better be parking in my spot.

20. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*blows a kiss* Players make the game luv... some few know that.

Schatzi, Samaira and Flutter like this.
  21. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

My first place was a small tower that I shared with two other people. We each got to use a floor to store our items in. It ended up being a race to who could stow the most in their chests. :)

@ Druido2 Nice siggy. *goes to make one just as large*

22. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I also lived in the inn for about my first year.
    Then I bought a small marble workshop for 550k.
    I still live in the same spot.. (almost).

23. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

My nephew was the first to get a house of the 3 of us... a stone and plaster in the trini forest outside the volcano mine.. Two weeks later my son put up our first wooden house. Me.. hehe well I went from those to the L shape to tower to castle in a few months. What can I say I was always an over achiever..... As for the Newbie thing...
    Many are not quite newbies... I have learned returning players who sold their original accounts are returning and starting fresh so to speak and not quite informing others of their original knowlage of the game. Those that are .... it dont take that long for them to learn the best size is the 18x18...

24. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

I used to hide behind trees and log out.
    True story.

25. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

At first camping and bedrolls!
    Then I bought a small stone and a guy showed me how to place and then stole my key and commandeered my house :( then the inn in jhelom for about a yr them I finally got a small tower on ice isle..nice lag fest and getting owned by the polar bears..Ahhh memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. olduofan

olduofan Guest

the good old days I camped never used an inn unless i was to lazy to go back to the woods before logging out.....

27. Barania

Barania Slightly Crazed

I started playing on Chessie way back when there was no room anywhere to place a house. Migrated to Siege and placed one after a good while in Moonglow...can't remember my first house really. I remember stories in the Money section of USA Today that detailed stories of what UO property sold for on E-Bay which is pretty much how I got interested. Lol...all my Chessie guys from back in the day have so much stuff in packs and banks, with no houses, that they can't do anything much. Mugen guy is in same shape.

This was one of those kinda blast from the past posts. Way cool to think about.

Jack Nickelson

28. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah

Remember, Druido, it isn't what you say...it's how you say it...

And do not ever forget, there, Druido...all of your pencils have erasers too.,..except the ones you have likely worn off erasing errors YOU may have made...likely...

Being on a High Horse just makes the inevitable fall all that much harder. I am well aware I make mistakes and plenty of them...you feel the same, yes? o_O

29. O'Brien

O'Brien Thought Police

Reminds me of the Simpsons when Mrs. Glick pays Bart 50 cents for a week of yard work. Homer: Hey, when I was your age 50 cents was a lot of money. Bart: Really? Homer: Naah!
    Hey, I still do that :eyes: :lol:

30. Arcades

Arcades Sage
    Stratics Veteran

31. Arcades

Arcades Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I remember my first house was a castle my friend and I bought with our shared account back in 1998 when we were in high school before the first of many price increases for housing. I got the deed the day before it doubled in price from 50k to 100k (I think...memory fading now). Was so happy! Places near Yew, no tram/fel back then. Was our house for two years before we quit. I came back after college, all chars and house gone...ended up living in a 7x7 at trinsic fel gate for 6 years before I got a keep near yew gate fel. Still miss my castle!! Ah the good ole days!

32. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

I remember in 97 when I first played on Great Lakes and my husband played on Lake Superior. Someone came up to me when I was tailoring in Vesper and asked if I would like a house deed. I was so grateful! Then my friend gated me to showed me a plot where to place it. I was so excited! Then I recalled away. I could never find my home again. :D I spent days and days going up to every home that looked like mine then everyone that existed and trying my key to see if I could get in. Then I got my second home right next to my friend's. I remember I could sit in my home and use his add ons in his. His house came with them.

33. Chazztizer

Chazztizer Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

M
    Marble!!!! Try a tent!!!! lol