1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Not able to gain skills ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Anvil of Crom, Sep 3, 2011.

1. So I've noticed something since the account migration process came to us a few weeks ago....

My characters are no longer gaining .1 gains when i use a skill. I checked to make sure my skill arrows are pointing up on the skill i want to raise and down for the skill i want to lose, yet nothing happens.

I already removed uo client and re-installed to be able to log in when account management went crazy. Do i have to do this again to get my skills to start acting right again? Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Nothing wrong with my characters to gain skills. What skill you working on?

3. Kayne

Kayne Guest

I've had gains too.

4. Begging and Cooking on my townie

Healing on my fighters.... havent noticed if all my others are that way or not. All my main skills are maxed to my powerscolls ( 120 - 110) but healing is stuck at 96 or so

This been going on 2 weeks or so and no gains... i know somethings not right

5. clarkifer

clarkifer Guest

I have had no issues, trained tactics from 70ish - 90 yesterday.

6. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

what are your total skill points? How many points do you have free or going down?

7. total skills are 715 real / 725 cap so i have 10 to use

Cooking is 99.5 arrow up

Begging at 80.3 arrow up

and

Inscription is 39.4 arrow down

8. T-Hunt

T-Hunt Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You may have options set to default...
    It will only show a full point insted of 0.1

It does that at times..stuff gets reset to default

9. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

A few years ago, I read something that said some skills are slower/more difficult to decay than others. Found something on another website that had an old list of the order in which people thought skills decayed, determined after lots of tedious testing. However, the list wasn't updated with newer skills. After stumbling across that list and running into several of my own skill gain roadblocks, I posted in the UO Players forum and then also submitted some questions in the Ask the Devs section. Basara was kind enough to try to provide an answer, but I really would still like to have one of the designers/developers to provide an answer.

Here's a link to the post I made in January 2010 in the UO Players forum that includes a copy of the question I submitted to Ask the Devs: http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-play...king-list-skills-ranked-decay-difficulty.html .

If it is actually true that some skills are more difficult to drop than others, then it may be that when you are trying to gain in a skill that decays easier than a skill you have turned down to let it decay, your gains will be slower and in some cases might even stop altogether for a while. If you find yourself in that situation, perhaps the least frustrating thing to do to get gains going again is to use an empty soulstone to flush the unwanted skills instead of just forcing them down as you gain in other skills.

Here's that old list of skills, from easiest to hardest to decay, that I found on an old UO skills training site. It is of course missing some of the "newer" skills like Bushido, Chivalry, Discordance, Focus, Imbuing, Mysticism, Necromancy, Ninjitsu, Spellweaving, Stealing, and Throwing.

Alchemy
    Anatomy
    Animal Lore
    Item ID
    Arms Lore
    Parrying
    Begging
    Blacksmithy
    Fletching
    Peacemaking
    Camping
    Carpentry
    Cartography
    Cooking
    Detecting Hidden
    Evaluating Intelligence
    Healing
    Fishing
    Forensic Evaluation
    Herding
    Hiding
    Provocation
    Magery
    Resisting Spells
    Tactics
    Snooping
    Musicianship
    Poisoning
    Archery
    Spirit Speak
    Tailoring
    Animal Taming
    Taste Identification
    Tinkering
    Tracking
    Veterinary
    Swordsmanship
    Mace Fighting
    Fencing
    Wrestling
    Lumberjacking
    Mining
    Meditation
    Stealth
    Remove Trap

10. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I don't know how you're checking for skill gains, but sometimes I've found that in the options it'll be set to only display skill gains every 1.0 skill (rather than 0.1) , so I'll be training for aaages with no apparent gains, because I have gained less than 1.0 total.
    So if I start with 82.3 mining, then it won't tell me about any skill gains until I hit 83.3, although the gains will happen and be reflected in the skill gump.

11. BINGO!

yeah i checked options and was reset to show at 10 (in tenths) meaning every 1.0 not .1 gain *facepalm*

Forgot that all those things like this reset as well as my macros, hot keys, color fonts etc....

thanks for taking time to help to you and everyone else too

I knew i wasn't crazy... just going in that direction haha!

12. Kayne

Kayne Guest

If you take a copy of the EA/UO folder from your documents and put this back on any new installs it will keep macros/UO desktop layouts and all other settings for all characters you have logged in with :)

13. TheGhostRaider

TheGhostRaider Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

UO have a new quest to obtain a Crystal Ball of Knowledge, this ball when turn on will tell you skill difficulty. Skill difficulty Easy/ Optimal/ hard. You need to stay in Optimal to gain. Termur offer the quest by the healer. need 100 Bones daemon & 100 Blood dragon Val. Most of the skill required a buffer of 20 skill point on the making or fighting the monster to gain.