1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

not ready for prime time siege players- please read

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Touzoko, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Ok, here's an idea I cam up with while toiling at work. I am throwing it out here, since I am sure there are 100 reasons why it won't work, and another hundred why it could be improved.

My thought was a group- probably not a guild per se, but a group of dedicated players. They might come from any faction or guild, be new or experienced, or even those many, many players that have left UO from lack of anything to do, yet have not closed their accounts.

They would indeed, be "actors." Available for anyone, at any time that they could be available to attend. See, I was thinking about the orc thing with Gil.
    People think of events, and contests, but can't always get the available participation. What if there was a group of players that would try to be anything, anytime, anywhere? Available to whomever needed them.

You want to raid an orc village? Well, say there were 10 people in this group. You contact them, and presto- you have at least 10 orcs. You want pirates to invade Moonglow? Presto- 10 bandana wearing, cutlass weilding pirates on ships sailing into Moonglow. One faction wishes a good fight- and challenges another faction for control of a town. Sooo...maybe they hire 10 thugs from an assasins fraternity, or something, to make things more interesting and fun.

I am sure you are getting the picture. A group that could be brought to anywhere, as anything, simply for the fun of it. To incease the participation. Really, the only rule governing this group would be to fulfill the wishes and obligations of whomever was putting on the event. Need extra orcs, savages, infidels, zombies? The group would show up and rp whatever was requested. It would bolster any smaller guild that wanted to put on an event. It might increase the challenge of any event that a larger guild might want to host.
    I sure don't see how it could possibly hurt. The group would naturally abide by any rules the hosts put into place.

Maybe a player doesn't want to pvp all of the time, but would like to try it. Perhaps he/she wouldn't mind being an orc for an evening, but wouldn't want to do it full time. It would certainly add dimension to anyone in the groups' game time. You would never know what you might be next week. Maybe it could make Siege "the place where events happen," rather than the shard that is dying. Instant enemies, or allies, on demand and willing to play. The trick would be getting a group together where no matter the time designated, at least a good number could show up.

Flame away. If nothing else, maybe this could foster some other better idea, that could help us all.

2. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

This is Stage Casting...I sure with the right gamers it would work...

Who is the right gamers?

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Interesting... Kind of like the Red Shirt guys in Star Trek? *chuckles*

4. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

yep lol. no name extras, that have no future. BUT- they make the episode more exciting.....

5. Hok'Nath

Hok'Nath Guest

Everyone loves the walking red corpses.

6. archite666

archite666 Guest

Hm, once I start playing again im down.

7. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Definitely an intriguing proposition. Would this be for current active Siege players, or for other players to fulfill the roles of these 'actors'?

Potential problem I see is with the 1 character per acct, lets say I joined in with Bruin, and guild X wants 10 orcs to raid - well Bruin isn't exactly a great orcish name. You could get people on other shards to do it for fun, they can create a character just for the day, but then their skills will be lacking. The next event say a month later, they can delete their character and rename. Possibly if they like it enough they could stay.

8. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

some things- like names or gender- would definitely have to pass. But in all reality, the bodies just being there is what counts. If you have magery- using your orc example- you polymorph into an orc. If not, use a mask. It's just for an evening, after all.....
    perhaps the not-ready for prime-time players could dress in all red-dyed clothes/armor or something. If they were partied, they could then message each other. The color thing would enable other players to readily identify them.

9. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

10. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

This has definite posibilities...

11. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

Think I have a red shirt around here somewhere...

12. Dirkdiggler

Dirkdiggler Guest

You couldn't keep me away from these events if i knew one was happening. As long as there is a quick forum post 15-30 minutes before it starts so people can have a chance to gear up or whatnot. The best part is people learn first hands what works and what is fun. I'll sign up for a game of musical chairs lol.

13. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Scotty wore red shirt and he never died. He even lived 75 years in the transporter of the USS Jenolen when it crashed in to a Dyson Sphere

[​IMG]

14. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

15. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

It seem more likely that a theater group of well developed gamers could register
    a description of what they are capable of doing. An organizer could then contact
    a subset of these actors to stage an event.

This requires cooperation and trust among the parties that the event will go
    well as plan.

That ambush at Despise Pass every Monday night at 9pm CST, will still need
    ppl trying to get through to the dungeon.

Why not just try listing what you like to see staged in SP, first.
    Then try asking, or bribing gamers to play the parts.

For example;
    I like to see if someone could deliver one dozen pack horse to the entrance
    chamber of Despise. This be just an one hour game.
    Not fair shooting the packies, but the drovers are another matter!
    Only path way is Luna, to Britain moongate and then only by road.
    Say, the reward for a packy is 5x it purchase value in Luna.
    Obviously, after an hour goes by... the game has ended.
    The next Monday packie drive may be somewhere else and more exotic!

We do have the power to create a game within this game.

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

16. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

all it takes is cooperation, and everybody has fun