1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Not Really Feeling The New Site Design

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Capt. Lucky, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

I wanted to give it some time for me to adjust. But it seems it's even harder to find information now. At least before you could kind of get a lot of information on a wide variety of topics and shards with a glace at one page (At least when they bothered to update). Now it's all just hidden *somewhere*. Lets hope UO does it right if they really do a major revamp of their site. This should show UO that can't rely on others to do their work for them.

2. Flagg

Flagg Sage

I really like the newly done page. Bit more compact and minimized. Old one had just grown too large over the years.

Actual in-game screenie on banner is a nice touch too. Iconic location could use more players and people on screen, not a weird lookin dragon tho.

3. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Advertising an expansion as new AVAILABLE NOW that is 6 years old - Stygian Abyss
    Advertising a booster as new AVAILABLE NOW that is that is 5 years old - High Seas
    Advertising for the 15th Anniversary Party that is now 2 years old
    Advertising Return to Britannia will begin Wednesday October 1, 2014 and continue for 30 days and end October 31, 2014

Where is the advertisement for the 3 boosters after High Seas? This site is so out of date that anybody looking at it sure knows how much pride UO has in its game and players.

4. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

What 3 boosters are you talking about, I thought High Seas was the last booster/expansion they added until the recent Time of Legends one?

5. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I think he's referring to Gothic, Rustic and Kings Collection. I guess you could call them expansions.:confused:

Captn Norrington and Lord Frodo like this.
  6. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

IMO those aren't expansions... not even really booster packs, Kings Collection is pure deco with a tad tiny bit of new crafting stuff much of which was EXTREMELY ugly...

Gothic while nice is incomplete.

Rustic if it weren't for the plant beds and such I wouldn't have wasted my money on... the walls and such are EXTREMELY FUGLY. And like Gothic it was incomplete.

Neither the Rustic or Gothic included any matching doors, floors or roofing... making them look crappy or completely out of place when next to old tile sets. And yes this is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine.

I refused to buy more than the one copy of Gothic or Rustic packs because they were incomplete... and I won't be buying them until they are "finished". Even with 12 accounts I only bought one copy of them. Now I know a few folk who won't buy them until they are either on sale or back as a pack together .... but even that won't get me to bite. They need to be "finished" before I'll buy them.

Jirel of Joiry likes this.
  7. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

To me expansions are bigger than boosters. I think they called them mini boosters. But you would never know it from UO.COM LOL

8. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I never said they were good only that UO.COM doesn't even mention them but will advertise for an aniversy that was over 2 years ago and RTB for 2014 as latest news LMAO. We wounder why no new players when they go there to get info and see how old the news is a new person would think UO isn't being maintained.

9. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Oh, I agree with you and I stupidly bought them for each of my accounts. :( Only real reason the plant beds and my sister liked the brewing. On the subject of the custom house tiles there are a number of the sets that are incomplete, and I seem to remember waaay back a member of the dev team saying they'd be finished.

Custom housing came out with Samurai Empire expansion. IMHO, the SE expansion was a half-assed expansion. It seems thrown together and there are a number of incomplete things. It wasn't until 2006 they finally fixed it so you could use repair contracts/deed in Tokuno. That's two YEARS after they released it.

AoS and SE really bug me in they feel incomplete. I wish I could code and the Dev team would turn me loose there is soooo much I'd love to do including update/overhaul website, SHOOT that damnable account Management System, clean up "trash" in game, fix stuff in game, and give everything a good spit -n- polish!

#9 Jirel of Joiry, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Lord Frodo likes this.
  10. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Back to topic.

The stratics.com design isn't complete.
    Our owner has something slightly different in mind which is being worked on.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  11. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

are we talking about the stratics website or uo's website?

12. Oscar the Grouch

Oscar the Grouch Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend

stratics.com

Stratics is owned by Bazaaro (Ron Bron). UO is owned by EA and operated by Broadsword.

We are a fan site for Ultima On-line but not directly affiliated with UO.com and do not operate/update/maintain that. Anyone listed as "Staff" on Stratics are volunteers to help stratics.com only.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  13. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

Well I do miss the parchment wallpaper lol. While I wasn't much of a Petra fan... and I get it that she had a lot of support, which is fine.... but I gotta give her credit that her design at http://ode-guild.com/uostuff/ which works great. Easy, simple, and effective for what it covers. Naturally it would need work to fit in the advertising and to incorporate all the things she doesn't cover like events and news and such. But it's simple and it works. Stratics (IMHO) could use some lessons on simple AND effective. Personally it doesn't really matter to me cause I have many sources for UO information. I do have a concern though as Stratics has become the "Unoffical Official UO site" from many years of dedication to the game. Since they are likely to draw new players on a Google search, I do think it's important that people are able to find information in a simple and effective format. I realize the site is under constant evolution and hopefully my input isn't misunderstood. I support Stratics and wish them the best. We're all partners in keeping the dream alive :)

Jirel of Joiry and Lord Frodo like this.
  14. Kirthag

Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Thank you. Finding info is of the utmost. I believe what is coming up is meant to better suit that purpose.

15. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

I think the new stuff will as well, it's rather awesome.

16. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

of all the websites I've ever used on the internet, stratics definitely does very good job of hiding all the buried information - you know, the actual useful stuff

you basically have to keep bookmarks to find it - there's no way in hell to find anything from the main page - i've only been able to get to the real info by googling what I already know is buried somewhere deep in the site

and lately they've even bumped it up a notch or two - I didn't think it was possible but they managed

all the useful bookmarks I had now say something like oldstratics so I had to redo them all ... but ... but ... that wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't taken it to the next level ...

after I got done rebookmarking all the links with the new oldstratics addresses, they changed it ever so slightly like around 3 more times after that so I've had to rebookmark everything useful on stratics multiple times - a truly amazing feat - it's almost like it's being run by US gov't workers or something :)

at least they're keeping the stratics tradition alive of hiding everything so noone can find it - good to see some things never change

lemme give you 2 or 3 tips on what would help to fix this:
    links on the main page to the material bonuses page, the reforging page, and the hunter's guide - that would solve about 90% of the problem

just a simple link ... that you could read in human english ... and a button you could actually click on to go there directly - problem solved - don't need to get anymore clever than that - the simplest solutiions are the best

17. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Even though I'm not Stratics Staff anymore thanks to my help with Ron Bron's other site, I've been privy to helping test much of what he has been evaluating for implementation here. I can tell you now once what he has planned goes in, everything will be on a path towards being much easier to navigate and keep up to date.

I'm excited to see the response to what is being planned.

18. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

New site design? It reminds me of classic Stratics. ;)

[​IMG]

19. petemage

petemage Seasoned Veteran

But it says "Handy-Dandy"" and has this awesome 1998 flying text thing. If it only had more .gifs, it could be on the latest back to the future movie :D

20. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

upload_2015-6-27_11-53-57.png

Hunters guide is there...a little different but there....also

upload_2015-6-27_11-55-24.png

It's here too....all on the main page.

Old Stratics is still up as well if you really miss it

upload_2015-6-27_11-59-11.png

I don't see anything *hidden* :/

Tamais and Lord Frodo like this.
  21. Kirthag

*decides to make no further comment*

Lord Frodo likes this.
  22. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

c'mon, you know you want to. :p

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  23. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I have never really like the way stratics main page and the way to get to information was done. Too many clicks. The main banner across the top too damn big. The news ticker? Just no... scrolling text is just bad. Really don't care for the generic word press layout.

More specifics--- those blue search buttons too big and really need to be on the same line- no reason to take up more space. Also, does someone need instruction on div tags and spacing?

Anyway... really, really, really, hate the generic word press set up.

Angel of Sonoma likes this.
  24. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

You can blame google on most of those concerns, they have changed they way they score sites for Search Index rankings. Now it's all about how easy a site is to navigate from a mobile device. Those oversized buttons... yea easier to press on a phones screen. Same thing with the spacing.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  25. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

yeah... No. Have you seen the site from a mobile device? From an iPhone 6s. You can't see anything but the banner when you first go to the site. And those big blue buttons? No where to be found. image.jpg image.jpg

Capt. Lucky and Piotr like this.
  26. grimiz

grimiz Seasoned Veteran

That's what responsive design is for. I mean, the new site tries to be responsive - but I highly doubt the majority of people using the stratics.com (excluding forums) are using it from a mobile device. It should have been optimized for desktop first and mobile second. Though "mobile first" is a big buzzword nowadays...

Lord Frodo likes this.
  27. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Actually I view it from a mobile device all the time. wp_ss_20150629_0001.jpg

28. grimiz

grimiz Seasoned Veteran

A little humility goes a long way Nexus. I know you are doing this for free and it's hard to turn the other cheek (trust me, I did it for a decade myself...), but the proper response is - "oh, I see that's totally ****ed up on iphones. We'll look at it when we have a chance. Thanks!" instead of "I test it on this windows phone with 3% market share and it looks *readable* on that despite the odd repeated background."

Even if you never have the intention of fixing it - giving the allusion that you will is a better response from a customer service perspective :p

29. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Well considering I'm not Stratics Staff anymore... I can't really say if they will or won't. Now if that changes in the future.......

But I can tell you that the site isn't finished. But it does view fine from Windows and Android phones I've viewed it from (combined around 53% of the market share). When the new design was decided on, I recall it being because neither of the older incarnations met the new standards from Google, and their was a very short window to get something in place from the time the notification from Google was published. This ment that the new site couldn't be built behind the scenes then unleashed, it had to have a skeleton put up, then be built and fleshed out as thing went in order to assure that Google Search Ranks weren't negatively impacted.

Google is pushing the mobile first movement heavily. Makes sense since they are pretty much non-existant on the desktop and laptop front.

30. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Site looks the same on my wife's android phone (optimus LG) as it does on my iphone .

31. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

I have one of those laying around, ditched it for the Windows Phone..

Here's what I see using it.

Screenshot_2015-06-29-16-32-24.png

I really don't see what's happening I've looked at the site from multiple phones and even looked at it on my iPod. I will say that it looks worst on the iPod, but there's not much you can do about Apple trying to force non-industry standards on everything.

If nothing else this will be a good thread for the person actually working on the site to reference what people are seeing.

32. Rodge

Rodge Visitor

Looks a lot better than broadswords website

Lord Frodo likes this.
  33. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

All three Windows Phone users who also play UO will be overjoyed that Stratics works on it ;)

Lord Frodo likes this.
  34. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

does anyone actually use a phone for anything other than the forums? i dont see the big deal if the main site looks bad on a phone.

35. Iapetus

Iapetus Visitor

I've used it to grab links to provide people in forum posts.. but other than that not really as far as I'm personally concerned.

36. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You know guys maybe you all can help me out with all this new stuff.
    How the hell do you get all these great features on one of these?
    [​IMG]

Seelendolch and Keith of Sonoma like this.
  37. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Let's ask these guys and gals.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  38. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

But I still have those and they still work great. Newer is not always better.

39. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

The mobile phone thing started because someone said the poor main site design was because of mobile. I wanted to point out that what is currently wrong with the front page on the main site has nothing to do with coding the site for mobile uses, because none of it is on a phone when you look at the site with a phone.

How horrid the site looks on a phone was just a bonus.

40. Saul

Saul Visitor

I like it

41. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

That must be the ugliest site I have ever seen, and that scrolling text is something from 1998, hideous. The only info I could find on the EC was a 30 min video, instead of stuff in text format, which the old site has. I do NOT want to watch a 30min video if i need a reminder of how to do one thing.

AS for the hunter's guide, used to be one page with an alphabetical list by category ie monsters, animals, humanoids etc, you would click on the one you wanted and the page for that critter would come up. Now you gotta select the 'type' then scroll next next next next ..... what a serious pain. Even when you find the thing you want, you then have to go to another page for 'more information' . This is supposed to be better organised? Certainly NOT. And isn't undead a monster? grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Totally retrograde step for stratics, whose idea was this?

Pretty sad when you are gonna use the OLD archive because the NEW is less user friendly.

Take this challenge, without going to the old archive, find a wailing banshee in the new 'hunter's guide' and record how many clicks/pages you go through.

#41 MissEcho, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Lord Frodo likes this.
  42. Kirthag

The new site is not done, which is why there are links back to the Old Stratics site which is still live.
    Nexus is not the designer/developer/engineer. I am.
    I am still working on the custom wordpress theme for layout and site features - what you see is not complete.
    Yes the change is being driven by search engine changes in site rankings based on mobile accessibility - not necessarily mobile display.
    As we move more content from the Old Stratics into the new site, it will be easier to find what you are looking for.
    Undead is a type of monster, not a monster itself.

The principal behind the new site is to fall into the search engine requirements while still designing for desktop first - after all most of the time when people are accessing Stratics.com, they are there while in the game - thus desktop. right now the simplest way to find anything on the new site is to use the search - if it doesn't show up then better to go to the Old Stratics site.

The url for the Old Stratics is uo2.stratics.com. Any bookmarks using that subdomain will indeed work. When the migration is complete, your bookmarks might not work anymore.

The migration is time consuming as we are going over each item, monster and guide from the Old Stratics making sure they are up-to-date and are formatted for better accessibility via mobile devices. There is no magick button to get this done. There are many people working on the migration and we all do this on our free time - if there is really such a thing. All of us are volunteers, please keep that in mind.

#42 Kirthag, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Gamer_Goblin and Lord Frodo like this.
  43. Gamer_Goblin

I like the new forums. I found them new user friendly. The website is bad though. Especially coming from sites like Wowhead.com or even the UO Wiki.

It's my humble opinion that topics should have one definitive link that has all of the information on it. I understand there's some creative stories on how they RP'd training skills, but that creates some topics with some information and some with other information. If I want to look up Imbuing I shouldn't have to open 5 tabs for example. And it should have the stuff found on the forum pages that has been deemed worthy enough to sticky too IMO.

Understanding that this all means work, I'm just putting in two cents and not like grabbing the pitch fork to go persecute all the people that do it.

Kirthag and Lord Frodo like this.
  44. Kirthag

I agree. It is time consuming transferring everything over. Thanks for the input and patience. :)