1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Mining] NPC gems

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by TimberWolf, Oct 8, 2009.

1. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Rumor has it you can now mine up NPC gems...I know we can get the larger gems from mining, but I have never gotten the small npc gems.

AM I doing something wrong...what do I need? Is there a Book I need to read like there is for rock or sand?

2. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Yeah, there's a book for it, that requires SA to use.

It can be bought from one of the gargoyles to the immediate east of the main public soulforge in the Royal City.

3. TheGrimReefer

Stratics Veteran

Does This Book Also Mine The Gems Using Iron Beetle?

4. CassieDarksong

CassieDarksong Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Somewhat related question, not sure if it's just been a few bad runs wtih RNG or what.

Several days now I've mined for a couple hours straight with the shovels set to gems. Not once during this did I get a larger rare gem (Fire ruby, blue diamond, etc.). Does it matter which mining type it's set to to get the rare gems? I got a lot of the NPC type gems, but none of the others. It was kinda disheartening.

5. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Cassie: It shouldn't affect it.

Typically, the large gems fall in addition to your dig; the small ones TAKE THE PLACE of the ore you would dig (enough that I can now carry 1-2 extra tools to the field for a mining session as gems are the same weight as an ingot). As I've gotten a large gem from digging up a granite before, it should work the same way for the small gems and a big one.

I got 4 large gems and about 150-200 small gems my last trip out, with my human miner (number of drops are uncertain, because humans can get two small gems from one dig, just like with ore - plus I killed several ore eles for 2 more gems each).

6. Jander

Jander Guest

I was out giving my newly bonded fire beetle a test drive this morning and I started digging up large gems. I have the book in the bank waiting to GM mining. With my +5 gloves on my mining was 100.3. I found it interesting that I wasn't digging up a lot of colored ore and ended up getting 5 gems in 30 minutes of digging.