1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Obsidian, what are some of your favorite templates in UO?

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by Omnicron, May 26, 2013.

1. Omnicron

Omnicron Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I always read your stuff and was curious as to what you think are the most fun templates you use?

Everyone else, feel free to post yours as well!

2. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I appreciate your request. I'm in the middle of moving right now. My house is in boxes (including my PC). Once I get off my phone and onto a real system I'll sit down and work up a detailed response.

Thanks for asking!

3. Obsidian

Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Ok, found hotel internet and some time to type. I run on four shards (Atlantic primarily, Origin and Napa as secondary, and GL with a fledgling crew). I use two accounts for characters and a few others for houses. Most of my characters are copies of main types, usually with some variation thrown in. Since we're on the Warrior Forum I will focus on warrior characters.

My main warrior on all four shards is a sampire of some sort. On Atlantic, I have two. I run like this:

Resist Sampire
    120 Swordsmanship
    120 Bushido
    120 Resisting Spells
    115 Tactics
    99 Necromancy
    86 Chivalry
    60 Parrying

Parry Sampire*
    120 Swordsmanship
    120 Bushido
    120 Parrying
    100 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    99 Necromancy
    84 Chivalry
    * Requires +23 Skill points

My top Sampire is my all purpose character. I use him for champ spawns and pretty much any boss that uses Necromancy. This template avoids issues with Blood Oath. My second template is for specific critters that freeze you (i.e. Navery, Mephitis) where I need to live through the webbing. My Origin Sampire looks like this:

Paladin Sampire*
    120 Swordsmanship
    120 Chivalry
    100 Bushido
    100 Parrying
    100 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    99 Necromancy
    * Requires +19 Skill points

I'm still testing this guy out. He currently has my temp studded leather suit with 50 LMC. I'm also using him to see if 100 Bush/100 Parry is adequate to tank the big stuff that my Parry Sampire does on Atlantic. So far, yes for the most part, but not as easily. I plan to test him more with Divine Fury like Duncan Drake is discussing in one of his other threads. This guy will also be used to test refinements to drop my Energy Resist Cap to 70 and run with 50 DCI. Being on Origin, however, makes it a bit tricky to find gear for sale. I will have to import via Shard Shield or earn any items I need. I've been trying to tease a Tangle from Navery with this character, but the Spider just hasn't given one up yet. On Napa, I run a female version of my Parry Sampire. And on GLs, my Sampire is still in development.

My second warrior character type I use is a Wraith Thrower. On Atlantic, my guy looks like this:

Wraith Thrower
    120 Throwing
    100 Bushido
    100 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Healing
    100 Chivalry
    60 Spirit Speak
    40 Necromancy

This guys is used for all of the purposes you hear about on these boards. Some people like to run without healing and increase damage output by raising Tactics and Anatomy to 120. I've found that I like the utility of healing and it helps with Karma management when I spam curse weapon for boss fights. This guy has no trouble with Rikktor and Slasher. I haven't done any Stygian Dragons but I think this guy would be viable. I run variations of this on Origin, Napa, and GL but all of those characters are in development. I do have a secondary thower on Atlantic who looks like this:

PvP Thrower
    120 Throwing
    120 Tactics
    120 Anatomy
    120 Healing
    120 Resisting Spells
    120 Ninjitsu

Yes, this is a gimp character I built to dabble in PvP. I Ihaven't used him much since the Soul Glaive and HCI cap changes in Pub 81. I need to test him and see if Ninjitsu is still worth it without healing and stealth. I may replace with 120 Chivalry and fit FC3 or 4 on his suit.

Ok, more later. I will add info on my Mystic Dexxer and a few other warrior (and mage) templates I have in development.

#3 Obsidian, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    CorwinXX likes this.
  4. yars

yars Lore Keeper

I'm running a hybrid of sampire /Paladin,but I'm using resist,and Spirit speak,corpseskin gives a bit of an edge with tactics and anatomy being gm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

5. Obsidian

Now for the rest. I run a Stone Form Mystic Dexxer who runs in protection. The template is:

Mystic Dexxer*
    120 Fencing
    120 Mysticism
    120 Focus
    100 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Healing
    84 Chivalry
    * Requires +24 skill points

I'm still not totally done developing this character. He can survive a lot of damage, but doesn't dish out much. This is a copy of the initial template from Lord GOD, except updated for the Chivalry skill changes. I tried running with Swords too. I like the whirlwind option from the radiant scimitar, but switched to fencing for Leafblade's feint... except I can't use feint because the template doesn't have 50 bushido or 50 ninjitsu. So I still have work to do on this one.

My last template is a Stealth Archer I am building for team fighting and protecting at Champ Spawns:

Stealth Archer*
    120 Archery
    120 Resist
    120 Ninjitsu
    100 Hiding
    90 Tactics
    90 Anatomy
    90 Healing
    80 Stealth
    * Requires +90 Skill points

Benefit of this template is the Resisting Spells. I am still refining this template and the gear that it uses. It is tied to the Hunter's Headdress, Oak Leaf Cloak, and a whole lot of skill on my jewels.

Those are my current warrior templates I use. I have a list of warrior template to test out including:
    - Wraith Paladin (Human w/ 120 Swords, 120 Bushido, 120 Chivalry, 100 Tactics, 100 Anatomy, 100 Healing, 60 Parrying, JOAT Necro/SS)
    - Vamp Form Disco Thrower/Archer
    - Stoneform Mystic Archer (Protection with 100 bushido)
    - Arcane Archer (Archery, Speallweaving, Chivalry)

Truth be told, however, warriors aren't the only characters I play. I have several mages that are staples of my inventory. I'll run through them briefly.
    - Necro-Mage (6 x 120 Magery, Eval, Med, Resist, Necro, SS)
    - Mystic-Mage (6 x 120 Magery, Eval, Med, Resist, Myst, Focus)
    - Disco Weaving Mystic Mage (6 x 120 Magery, Sw, Music, Disco, Myst, Focus)
    - Necro-Myst-Mage (120 Myst, 120 Focus, 120 Eval, 120 SS, 106 Magery, 100 Anatomy, 100 Necro) w/ 66 Skill points

And I run every shard with a specific crafter:

Gargish Crafter
    120 Imbuing (w/Queen's Forge access)
    120 Blacksmithing
    120 Tailoring
    100 Mining or Carpentry
    100 Tinkering
    100 Arms Lore
    60 Magery*
    * Raised with Magery on Ring, Bracelet, Tome of Lost Knowledge

My crafter is the cornerstone of all of my characters. With suits being so important, my crafter lets me build whatever I need to make with reforging, imbuing, and crafting. That about sums it up for my many characters. I have plans to dabble with a Treasure Hunter and a Thief on the to-do list, but I admit I feel an obligation to work on warrior skills so I can best help the community here on Stratics.

#5 Obsidian, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  6. yars

yars Lore Keeper

this still puzzles me, how do you survive while being webbed by navery? potions? healing?

7. Ducan IronWeaver

Ducan IronWeaver Lore Master

I haven't tried it yet but i have been told recently. That if you get stone shoes from fishing they can break navy's web when u get hit with it

8. Obsidian

120 Bush plus 120 Parry with 45 DCI and I can live through webbing with no problem at all. I usually use a 2H bladed staff for 40% chance to parry. I time my evasion and confidence just right to keep me always near max hit points so that I have a lot of life to survive hits while webbed.

My 100 Bush & 100 Parry template survives while webbed 4 Navreys out of 5 (roughly). Each Navrey battle includes being webbed anywhere from 5 to 10 times per encounter.

I tried it with 120 Bush & 60 parry templates and I almost always get killed while webbed. I don't use pots or I might survive it, but it would be hit or miss (and mainly hits for the mean spider).

9. Gb8719

Gb8719 Journeyman

If you were to pick one Sampire template as an all around intro Sampire template for someone, which would it be?
    I'm currently working on the "Sampiradin" template recommended by Duncan in another thread but I'm worried that it might be too difficult for someone like myself who doesn't have access to high level artifacts [Crimson Cincture, etc.] and has no experience playing a Sampire character.

I don't really have any specific Champion spawn or peerless boss in mind but would like the character to be well rounded and excel at most of them.

Thank you.

10. Obsidian

If I was very tight on gold, I would start with this:

120 Mace Fighting
    100 Bushido
    100 Parrying
    100 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Necro
    100 Chivalry

Mace is effective and a cheap scroll. This template only requires a stat scroll. Run with a war axe for an AI weapon and use a Black Staff for whirlwind. You can test out all of the specials except momentum strike with this starter setup.

11. Gb8719

Gb8719 Journeyman

That sounds like a pretty good setup. I already have fencing maxed to 120 on the character. I'm not completely broke, but things like Artifacts that are in the 10's of millions are a bit out of reach for me.

Do you think this template would be a better "starter" template than the "Sampiredin" that Duncan Drake recommended? Looks like the only difference is taking Chiv and Bushido to 120 and dropping parry from 100 to 60.

Thanks again for the help and sorry if these are basic questions. I'm fairly new to Sampires and to suit-building.

12. Duncan Drake

Duncan Drake Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Wow now that are a lot of templates. Impressive. How many chars do you run. Or do you use lots of soulstones.