1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

odd question about durability

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Poo, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

so ive asked this of a couple long time players but no one seems to know so ill ask here.
    i know what the bottom durability is on an item, the one at the bottom of the gump that shows like 100/255, but what is the top durability?
    the one that you can imbue onto items?
    the other day i was making a luck shield (just a cheap one) and i had room to kill and ran out of stuff to put on it, so for giggles i hit the durability button and cranked it up to 900%.

so now i have a shield that has 900% Durability on it.

so what is this 2nd durability?

2. Fogsbane

Fogsbane Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I always assumed the % was how fast (slower to be more exact) it loses the points of (bottom line) durability?

now ya got me wanting to test if high numbers do some sort of "self-repair".

3. CrazyUserName

CrazyUserName Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Does it impact initial durability - I.e a base item with 15/15 durability turns into like 135/135 with 900% increase to durability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

This is a very good question. I always believed that the % Durability had to do with how "strong" an item was and it's rate of breakdown... as in losing the XYZ/255... so how easily it became less durable. So if you had an antique item... and upped it's durability % would that make it less fragile?

5. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

I think the old durabilities (Durable, Substantial, Massive, Fortified and Indestructible) were converted to 20%, 50%, 70%, 100% and 120% after AoS. Then Self Repair (1-5) came on top of that. But I don't know exactly how it works.

6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If I remember correctly without looking this will increase the base durability by the % indicated

Parnoc likes this.
  7. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

example you have a shield with 50 durability base and you hit add 50% it will then be 75 durability....just tested this

Parnoc and Smoot like this.
  8. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

this. a pain when you have a good item like a shield, but dura mod takes up a slot. if you lower it by imbue itll kill durability on the item.

its basically a worthless mod, or an alternative to powder of fort that takes up one mod.

9. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest

My mage wears a shield with Durability +30% and it has only Durability 35/35, but it has never taken any damage.

10. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

my mage uses a awesome shield with 150 dur and never loses because he has no parry or anything

11. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

UOGuide has a good run down on self-repair:
    http://www.uoguide.com/Self_Repair

before the 255 cap we had tons of shields and such with over 255, like 380 and the like...but there is seldom a practical reason to use these items as they are often too old to imbue, whereas new items with over 255 are the byproduct of a mod and--as has been said--kills a mod slot.

the idea would be use a 380 etc. till 254/254, as you cannot powder past 255 I don't believe...whereas for training purposes you can now make self repair 6 or better in any fashion, such as a shield, a bokuto, etc., and that's usually more useful than anything else...but if your base dur. can't last 60 seconds then it's trash, so a hat w/ 15 dur and self repair 6 would be iffy vs. large groups (parry training).

12. The Zog historian

The Zog historian Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Is your character a human? Unless it's changed recently, my human characters with 0 parry have 20 from JOAT, which causes their shields to take a little damage now and then.

13. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest

No, she's an elf, with 0.0 parrying.

14. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

elf so yes with joat would occasionally take a hit