1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ok who's bright idea was it

Discussion in 'UHall' started by BloodstoneGL, Jan 22, 2009.

1. BloodstoneGL

BloodstoneGL Guest

Maybe I missed the option in my control panel or maybe it isn't even an option but...

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put 100 posts per page in a thread???

Seriously, knock it down to 25....it's annoying as hell.

2. You can adjust that yourself in the control panel.

3. BloodstoneGL

BloodstoneGL Guest

Where? I cant seem to locate it.... And 100 as a default is stupid anyways.

4. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

User CP, Edit options, scroll down to 'thread display options' set the number of posts per page to suit you.

5. BloodstoneGL

BloodstoneGL Guest

Ok I got it now like a ****** I found it right after the post lol. Pass it on to the higher ups to change it to 20 as default. One it makes the board feel faster to new comers and secondly it makes the forums appear more alive with more paged threads.

6. CassieDarksong

CassieDarksong Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

That option doesn't exactly help those that don't always log-in to read the forums. I agree 100 posts a page is stupid and should be reduced to a sane amount....20-25.

7. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I prefer having all posts on one page myself.

8. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

All the cool people use 20 per page.
    And so do I.

9. Babble

Babble Guest

I like the 100 posts a page.
    Better overview which thread to babble.

10. In Flames

In Flames Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

QFE

11. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I don't understand the logic of having LESS than 50 per page, personally, and prefer 100. Below 50, it's too easy to miss WHOLE PAGES of posts on busy threads, and nearly impossible to easily look back and see what is being referred to.

I've personally been flamed before for replying to something that is higher on the page my reply appears on, but is 3 pages back for someone else, who erroneously assumed I was replying to THEIR post, two or three posts up on the last of their 4th or 5th page of posts, using the short lengths.

12. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I prefer long pages, and use the "last unread post" option a lot.

13. Because having 100 per page lags the crap out of a computer with 3 gigs of ram. Stratics is the only website that does this to me. I had to switch to 20 or continue to have to deal with everything on my comp freezing for the time it took to load a single page on Stratics, and yeah, that included UO too.

14. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Not a problem on mine, with only 2GB
    I can browse multiple forums and threads, while watching DVDs on the other monitor, or even running KR.

15. It has something to do with the ads at the top of the page. I don't know why this happens on Stratics only, but it does. Any other website loads almost instantaneously.

16. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I've ran into the problem on several other web pages, that aren't forums.

I believe it has something to do with the fact that IE isn't compliant fully in its current form with certain standards, and chokes on certain ads that require full compliancy to function properly (ironic, given than most of the ads are blocked completely BY the compliant browsers' most-used optional features - to me, that smacks of a deliberate attempt to design to make IE malfunction by the ad programmers, since they of all people should know most FF users will never see the ad - they get paid per page view whether the ad shows or is blocked).

17. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

I just checked my other system
    P4 1.6 with 512MB RAM
    There was a distinct lack anything approaching "lagging the crap out of it"

That was without any ad-blocking, on Firefox 3.0.5.
    Logged out of Stratics, which means extra ads.

18. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend