1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Old mage returning...

Discussion in 'UO Spellcaster' started by Naisikras, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Naisikras

Naisikras Guest

Back when I used to play your standard mage template was

120 mage
    120 med
    120 eval
    120 resist
    120 weaponskill/defense skill
    120 (scribe, tact, ninjitsu, chiv, bushido, etc...)

Are things pretty much the same now? Is standard mage still viable? The most fun times I had were dueling, what are the successful dueling templates now?

2. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

You do mean 100 scribe right? and, swap out for a 120 skill? Wrestling/defensive mage still works fine, necro/mage, and other hybrid templates.

Someone else will have to speak for the scribe/mage PvP part since I have not used scribe on a mage for PvP in a while. Reason being the PvP cap for SDI is easy to reach without having it on the template. Yeah you get the inscription bonus, but...meh.

3. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

An old school mage template still looks like this:

120 mage
    120 med
    120 eval
    120 wrestling
    120 resist
    100 inscribe

To enhance your damage, I'd consider necro/mage:

120 mage
    120 med
    120 eval
    120 spirit speak
    120 necro (110 works fine)
    120 resist

It is trendy atm for necro/mages to wear orny, crystalline, inquisitors resolution, and use a -25 or less mage weapon with dci. This allows you to meet your fc/fcr and dci requirements, use a weapon with 115+ skill, and have a free hand open to chug pots. Most times, though, my 30 mil -25, 15 dci mage weapon sits in my backpack, replaced by an arcane shield (+1 fc) and a 500k -20, -1fc leafblade with hit fire ball, hit mana leach, ssi, and di.

Also, depending on your play style, it can be fun to replace resist with spellweaving. At champ spawns, wraith form + essence of wind is pretty fun. For PvP, the pixies...everyone runs from pixies. For peerless, wraith form + word of death is unbelievable.

4. Diomedes Artega

Stratics Veteran

Everyone runs from pixies? That's news to me. I never had any problems with those silly little gals.

5. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

My weaver/archer has used them before. Rather than get shot up with arrows, folks seem to run away and try to kill them before dealing with me. (Of course, I'll have a new batch before they're back).

They're not a game breaker, but they are annoying, especially for folks w/o free hands for pots.

6. Diomedes Artega

Stratics Veteran

Ah okay...yeah that's true I suppose lol.

7. Hail Satan

Hail Satan Visitor

if you are a superb mage, and by superb i mean top dog, stay with inscription, 15SDI and 12SDI from 120int.

after all the tweaks and different class introductions throughout UO's history, nothing can rival a top mage with max SDI with logistics on his side (pots, petals, etc.).