1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Old vet wanting to come back. ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mr. PoPo, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Mr. PoPo

Mr. PoPo Visitor

It's been ages UO. Im glad to see the game still in motion.

I started UO in at Renaissance launch and played faithfully until a long time after Mondains legacy. I played Aol legends and stayed after it switched to legends.

Ive had several characters over time. Monoxide, Mr. PoPo and Rich are some mains.

I was in pvp heavy mainly Yew gate.

How's the game still? Uo was my favorite gave to this day. I loved the game and wanna come back.

How is population and game play still? Do we still have a large player base?

To any old friends hello!

Pandora Spocks likes this.
  2. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well the population is small. The pvp scene on Legends well it isn't what it use to be. Factions have been removed and replaced with Vice vs Virtue. The Stygian Abyss expansion has been added and a mini booster called High Seas. I remember the name Monoxide. Nasty Nate just recently returned, and me well I never really left. That's a quick synopsis of Legends.

3. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Playerbase, mostly old vets using multiple accounts. Otherwise, typical get rich fast mmorpg player .
    Pvp, extremly item based, expect 500m for one pvp char. Pvm, lame combat mechanics trying to stretch the fights over a long time at the high end, outdated at lower end.
    Small player base, if you see 2 or more people at the same spot, its probably the same player anyway.
    Game is not worth wasting time on it if you dont got developed chars already.

4. Mr. PoPo

Mr. PoPo Visitor

Wow. Its as I feared lol. Ya it was getting to be gimpy in pvp. And the player base started shrinking do to WOW and game advancement when I was playing.

Lol the temp to be then was enhance pot, fence, ninja. Played right was un droppable 1vs1.

That sucks, I was hopping there was a turn around. And 500 mil just to be worthy is just crazy lol. And also I do remember old nasty nate.

5. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

500m might not be as much as you think. in 2008 it would have been around 50-100m.

for pvp youd probably have to transfer off legends for much activity. Atalantic of course, or i hear theres some groups on Lake Superior.

6. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot

No offense but this is incorrect and coming from someone that in his own words does not even pvp.
    "Ok, i do avoid pvp, but still its something i do not really understand here" - This is a quote from one of his recent posts on a different topic so not really sure why he would want to chime in and discourage a new player from anything here?
    The game certainly isn't the same as it was some years ago but pvp on a couple specific servers is very much alive and well.
    You can create a new character and within approx. one month can quite easily make enough gold to outfit yourself well enough to get back into pvp fulltime.

7. cobb

cobb Journeyman

You can set up a pvp char for fairly cheap these days by using the VvV arties and the new legendary/major artifacts from the global loot.

cholupa likes this.
  8. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Good job at ripping a few words completly out of a thread context. Your the man sir.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  9. Goldberg-Chessy

Really?
    Do you actively and regularly pvp right now?
    When was the last time, if ever, that you regularly pvped for that matter?

10. Gamer_Goblin

LOL Welcome back. Not much has changed on Stratics. :) Obviously. I just recently returned myself and started up on Legends to relive the AOL Legends days. Atlantic is where people seem to be pooling though... Chesapeake wasn't too bad either, but not nearly as populated as Atlantic. I hear Siege is doing pretty well too, but I haven't tried it and wouldn't want someone pulling out some of my old posts to prove it. LOL

11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Why are your panties in such a bunch, did he say something wrong in his statement?
    PvP is very item based and yes it costs a lot of gold to get a good suit.
    Even Smoot agreed about the 500M
    Just because someone doesn't actively PvP doesn't mean that they know nothing about it. Take a chill pill and mellow out.

12. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Welcome home to UO.
    May I give you a small rundown of things in uo so you may make a informed decision.
    Many shards do have a small population... this is quite true, But not all.
    If your into just pvp .... one of the more busy shards might interest you.
    But if your in for a full game play, might i suguest try your old shard first at its peek time. Yes each shard has a peek set of hours of player play.
    If mind you its too tame for your needs, many others are at your finger tips. We have transfer tokens so you can move one of your players.
    Soon a new Expantion will be out..... a very exciting time...
    As a 18 year player all i can say is come home and try.... your welcome on any shard.

Pandora Spocks and old gypsy like this.
  13. Goldberg-Chessy

You are a strange cat :)
    First of all, you 'liked' my statement. Just kinda weird now that you are bashing it.
    Secondly, he gave very specific and wrong advice on a topic he self admittedly knows nothing about.
    How does he know how much a good pvp suit costs? Seriously?
    Lastly, we all know you do not ever pvp yet here you are chiming in lol based upon something someone else said.
    As I stated earlier, anyone (especially an old vet) can easily farm enough gold in one month to make a very viable pvp suit. For much less than 500 million. But you wouldn't know that Ofc as you don't pvp.
    *shakes head*

14. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Just because i do not pvp does not mean i do know nothing about pvp mechanics, temps or suits. Maybe its not 500m , but i did say full char, not suit only. If i look at not so fancy pvm chars, its easily 150m per char, throw 2 or 3 good legendarys in and you are at 250m or more. Yes probably possible to farm that in a month , even when starting at 0. Thats assuming that there are people around that will buy what you farm and also people that will sell the stuff you actually need.

Is it worth it , in my opinion no. And that was the point of my post. Not 100m or 500m.
    Simply because uo lost big amounts of ground compared to more recent games due to very little development in the last few years. In terms of fun gameplay or fun pvp, graphics, story, cheat protection , interesting and fair game mechanics etc. , other games are lightyears ahead.
    Not to mention all the other issues pvp in uo has.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  15. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

How it got liked I have no clue but it was fixed "UNLIKED" Just look at vendor prices and listen to PvPers on how much they spend constantly upgrading their suits and yes it will cost a small fortune to have a great PvP suit. I have never stated I have never PvPed, I use to PvP when PvP was skill based (Pre Age of $hit). I guess because you say something that NOBODY else knows anything about anything when it comes to UO. You may not agree with something someone says but is that a reason to get your panties in a twist. But that is ok, just shows how you truly are. Nobody knows nothing about UO but you and you bash others to prove it.

16. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

yes to build "the best" pvp suit you can spend tons, but compared to where the game was 10 years ago, or even 5 or 2 years ago prices have become extremely affordable. those 1bil plus suits are more hobby items. most my suits ive built for personal use (max stats, eaters, all the shiny stuff) ive put together for less than 300m each. I also just made a perfectly fine suit for someone for free that he plans to pvp with. it cost about 5mil to make and was perfectly fine to get by on. its not high end, but you dont need to spend bils just to have fun. The loot options provided with global loot you can really make a viable pvp suit for next to nothing. im selling better suits that would have been priced over a bil a year ago for around 200m. and thats with a profit (a little something for my time). all in all, pvp is much more affordable than it has been in the past.

Now i will agree, if your playing atlantic and want to compete one on one with some of the most godly suits, a 100-400m investment is likely. but as i said before, thats a very realistic for someone to save up by just playing the game for little while. it that same amount of time, one could most likely build an entire suit from looted items (free) if they put in the time for pvm.

for the record, i havent pvped more than plinking around in a couple years. but my suits sell well. i enjoy knowing what is actually needed and the most effective way to obtain those results for a price that many can afford.

#16 Smoot, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Goldberg-Chessy and cholupa like this.
  17. Gamer_Goblin

I've been playing for a month. The most I've saved up is 500,000 at once and that felt like a huge accomplishment/grind. I used it to customize a house. I think all of you throwing around million dollar quotes like they are nothing need a reality check to what it's like just starting out.

MalagAste, BeaIank and Lord Frodo like this.
  18. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

agreed if you are solo with no guild and little help. if you can do some quest tho a few quest items sell well. when i was building gold i sold candlewood torches for like 5m each. if you can get a guild and do some scalis or exodus gear should be no problem and should even be able to sell some for decent prices.

19. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Thats probaly the average for a new player.
    But there are power gamers who strictly measure their game time in profit/hour and optimize their char for that. For those, above sums in a month are definatly possible given enough playtime.
    A few champ spawns per day, farming blackthorn arties like mad , or exodus/scalis with guild and drop luck comes to mind.Em event items for an instant 20-100m, luck with a slither drop or other high demand arties, if one does set his mind to it, those sums are realistic.

20. Gamer_Goblin

I feel you're wrong. I know that a player with existing game characters today can log in and maybe focus on all of that quickly. But I also know that if you are new and you don't have the skills already trained, the suit already fashioned, and the guild to feed you said things then you aren't going to get there in a month or even 3 months. Maybe a bit longer.

And to me, that's not a bad thing necessarily. 3 months isn't that bad to enjoy that kind of content, but then you have the actual grind of getting said gold. All just to PVP competitively according to both sides of the above PVP argument.

My point is, when new players coming on these boards or watching the chats in game or viewing these vendors see prices in the millions... it drives them away. And it's because you all don't remember having to camp spawns for gold. I remember camping Elder Gazer spawns in dungeons and Lich Spawns to farm gold. Now all you guys are doing is trading millions back and forth and expecting new people coming on to catch up with years of gaming/cheating.

I realize you can get 300,000k easy from a champ spawn, but it'll be something special to see a new account without being fed from another account get to that level and farm 100mil in a month. Even with a Mythic token and vet experience. And it definitely wouldn't be a "Fun" gaming experience.

Maybe I'm missing things as I train my warrior fighting 30 gold drops on skeletons/zombies outside of Haven or 100-200 gold drops on ettins/slightly more on Earth Eles. Every time I try one of these miraculous gold fountains called champ spawns you guys mention I get ROFLCurbstomped.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  21. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

to be fair, the devs arnt focusing the game on new players. the game is focused on returning vets. as well as players who invest cash at the UO store to sell for in game gold or gain skills quickly. (its like a ftp format, but one that you still have to pay the sub...) this could inclue the "new player" the game isnt what is was 15 years ago. thats just a reality.

the games economy isnt really in line with "loot gold", its based of selling of items. now, you can get an item worth millions off a creature that drops 200-500 gold. as a hint, if your doing spawn purely for gold value, dont bother looting the gold if it slows down your looting. if its low level spawn dont even look at armor. look at only jewels. you will pull a clean 10ssi or one with 1 stat in a few hours if you kill fast enough.

Dont get me wrong, playing a new character from 0 skill and casually looting gold, searching for slight upgrades as loot can be very rewarding. ive actually done this recently. started fresh from nothing. killed ratmen archers and sold the arrows to get a few hundred k in a couple hours. bought cheap shame loot (im talking single digits to around 100k). had a viable GM mage in about a day.

#21 Smoot, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Lord Frodo and Gamer_Goblin like this.
  22. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Certifiable

I have to take offense to the statement "you all don't remember having to camp spawns for gold. I remember having to kill MONGBATS for gold, and picking up regs off the ground because I couldn't afford to buy them. ROFL I haven't had to do that in FOREVER, but I still remember it. :)

Lord Frodo likes this.
  23. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

the best "new player" area in the current game has to be the gypsy camp south east of compassion moongate. run straight down and a little to the right, hit water, cross 2 stone bridges, then run across some desert.

you can make tons of gold there, especially if arrows are expensive on your server. the best part about this site is theres a gypsy bank right there to store the items till you can go back to luna to sell them to npc (or another high priced town) another method is even to buy cheap arrows from one npc, then sell them to a more expensive npc. ive done this on new characters starting from 1k gold and you can get about 100k in a half hour by not killing 1 single mob. (ratmen archers are more efficient if you have at least some skills / armor tho)

arrows.png

24. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

This all requires that you play on a server where folk actually buy things off vendors. It also requires you to sell things folk don't have and pay some of the highest prices to have a vendor in Luna. Kinda a catch 22 if you ask me.

Many shards hardly have vendors in Luna because no one buys anything there and at the same time they don't sell things there because all they are doing there is getting stuff to take to Atl to sell because they can actually do things on other quieter shards without other people coming along and forcing them to go find somewhere else to hunt every 5 min.

25. Goldberg-Chessy

PM me if you come to Atlantic and I will give you some advice on how to make a lot more than 500k in your first month :)

26. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

Welcome home friend

Not sure if the pvp is better on Atlantic by yew gate or here on stratics....

*tips a glass of good old Moonglow red in salute to your arrival *

27. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Took me about the same time to raise that much gold back in 2011 when I started. And I only stuck around because I am stubborn and some vets helped me with some starting equipment.
    The game wasn't new player friendly back then, and it is at a worse situation now, with Despise having been destroyed and Shame populated with much stronger and too many elementals for a young player to survive. And those places were not replaced with any other hunting grounds for new players. You could get a fair bit of gold and skill gains there against Ettins and earth elementals.

Starting equipment is a major joke, one that I laugh at to not have to cry over it. I always keep a few decent starting suits ready should I run into a returning or new player there at Legends during the days I play.
    Speaking of which, I don't think I've run into you there. If I didn't, I hope Caveman Jack picked and suited you up.
    Even so, if you're around now during the weekend, there are those who call me Zath at Legends, and I would be more than happy to fix you up some quality equipment for your mages and warriors for free.

Goldberg-Chessy and Lord Frodo like this.
  28. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

There are many ways to mak gold in UO even for a beginner.
    Crafters can make decient gold, Mining for ingots can be made into heater shields that sell well, you gain as you make.
    Scribes can make a good deal of gold and buy supplies as you go... i made enough for a castle doing this in a day nad a half... for starter gold i killed orks for their armor which sells well.
    Feathers for archers and wood for shafts is easy and again a crafting skill. Turkeys galore have in tram 75 per bird and its very easy to kill them. in fel all resources are double...
    If you hate to do skill gains a advanced character token is purchasable.. this can get you to where a good set of armor and the right jewels will put you past gm and at fighting str. to earn more gold in your time.
    Nothing in UO is impossible... you just have to use your brain and the skills we have ready for use in uo.

29. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

Gold in UO is easy, very easy. Knowledge is what is hard. I can, and have, start a brand new character on a brand new shard and in less than 24 hours have more than 10 million... With no freebies from anyone. But a new player wouldn't have any idea how to do it... And to be honest, that's the way it should be.

30. Old Vet Back Again

Old Vet Back Again Slightly Crazed

Best servers to Pvp: LS & Atl for east and Baja for West. Everything else is not worth the time. Why? because you will spend more time trying to find a fight then time spent engaged in combat. Oh, and if you are "better" than the other play you find on a dead shard they will just run you all over the map.