1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) On a 100% cold bow...,

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Baby Doll, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Baby Doll

Baby Doll Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran IPKU

We all know that when you have lightning on a bow it hits for an extra pop of damage to target. Does any one know (without wasting ingredients to test)? When you have an area effect like hit cold area, does it strike target with extra damage then the area effect spreads out , or does area effect just spread out from target?

Bow is 100% cold, reptile slayer. Trying to decide on last property, hit lightning, velocity or hit cold area effect.

Thank you!

Baby Doll I4NI (TB)

2. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The hit area effect will not spread he lightning out.

3. Baby Doll

Baby Doll Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran IPKU

Hello Sir Morder thank you kindly for posting.
    Do you mean that hit cold area, acts like a lightning strike hitting multiple available targets? So then it would hit for an extra damage to original target?

#3 Baby Doll, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  4. imported_Ally Oop

imported_Ally Oop Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I have a cold area bow but not that high. I love it for low area spawns such as rats. Ill let a mess of them get around me and 2 shots they are all or mostly all down. Just be careful where you shoot it.. if a healor is around they dont care for it much. Also at Oaks. The pixies there really get ticked off at you.

5. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Sir Morder likes this.
  6. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

This is correct. The hit area will only hit targets other than the original target. So, lets say you are only targeting one target, you wont see any additional damage from hit area effect. I have confirmed this with the taskmaster. 100% hit poison will only do regular damage to a single target. And when targeting multiple targets I still only see one damage effect appearing above original target.

7. Baby Doll

Baby Doll Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran IPKU

Yes I went to the site uoguide.com before posting. Was not sure of original target though. Did not have another wep like the taskmaster to see for my self. Thanks to all who replied. Sir Morder answered original my question. Still leaves an interesting questions. How often are retiles attack alone? Is it worth doing 6-10 less di to a single target, to hit the mob within a few tiles of you? I know over thinking what to put on bow. But paid good gold for it and don't want to waste it when imbuing stuff on it.

Thanks again for the input!

8. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Your question should be, do I really want to Agro more than one monster with my archer.... Archers for the most part single out and lure away a specific target. They are ranged fighters, I personally would go with a hit spell, not area. There is nothing more irritating to me than pulling more than I can chew into my trap,

9. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

One last note about hi area effect. It will destroy your weapon was fast when killing mobs. I'll burn thru 50 durability with just one champ spawn with an area effect weapon. So remember to max PoF it because you can't reraise durability once imbued.

10. Veritas et Sapientia

If your using the bow for PvM particular for spawning then hit Area all the way. Hit Area is what will allow you to solo spawns as a ranged PvMer. If you have a 100% Elemental with 50% Hit Area + Slayer you can wreck through spawns just like a sampire with Whirlwind. If you using the bow to target a specific boss then perhaps Hit Lightning could be the way to go. Very rarely imo is hit lightning justified in PVM. Your better off spending those weighted points into another category.

Generally, I favor Hit Area over Hit Lightning. Not enough people use Hit Area in my opinion. I look at people's weapons all the time and I'm surprised how few use Hit Area.

Unless your fighting a large group of powerful MOBS having them get aggressive isn't that big of a deal with Hit Area..that's the advantage of being ranged i.e monsters aren't clubbing you on the head.

As far as durability I use Hit Area on 90% of the weapons I carry and I haven't noticed any more decay due to Hit Area Spell.

Hit Area overall is way more beneficial.

11. Guardian KX

Guardian KX Lore Keeper

The reptile slayer is 2X damage. The dragon slayer is 3X damage and kills about 75 percent of the reptile family, not just dragons. I suggest hit mana leech for non stop armor ignore which does (for me) 150 to 225 hps damage per hit and screw the random 20 hps hit you get from lightining or fireball. Then life leech for the almost constant 10 to 40 hps back per hit. Hit area shreads bow duribility.

12. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

I think even decreasing durability quickly the bow would still last about a year I'm guessing.

13. Baby Doll

Baby Doll Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran IPKU

Well within seconds a having the bow I PoF- ed it to 255 durability. As far as slayer verses super slayer I am trying to get a bow of each super slayer with the correct type of damage. So far I have a Fey slayer (comp), a 100%fire (repeater), 100% poison (repeater) and now a 100% cold (comp). Also have mana covered when I suit/skill up according to the bow I am using atm. If the bow makes it a year I would be happy with that. So those things out of the way, does it just come down to personal choice or are there other things I have not thought of?

Thanks for posting your reasons, I truly appreciate your thoughts thus far!

#13 Baby Doll, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  14. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Ssi is always nice.