1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

online game accounts warning from Symantec, 44M stolen

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Beastmaster, May 28, 2010.

1. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

I posted this yesterday and it was deleted for some reason unbeknown to me.

Symantec has reported a very serious theft of online game account info. you can read the article here.

Blizzard's World of Warcraft was one of the targets and NCSoft's online games were another. I also posted that one of my email accounts was bombarded by bogus phishing emails yesterday warning me to change my WoW and NCSoft passwords. I don't have accounts with either one and the links they included were bogus facsimiles of the real thing. It just so happens its the same throw away email account I used for my Stratics access.

This is just a warning to all the gamers here to be on the lookout.

Moderators if you have something against this post please tell me so instead of just deleting it.

2. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Maybe this is a "viral" tie-in to "Cataclysm". :p

3. aranier

aranier Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

I've received three emails in the last month supposedly from ncsoft. The email it was sent to was my stratics only email.

4. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Well whoever broke into the Stratics websites likely downloaded all the personal information, including emails, while they were uploading those viruses.

5. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Not deleted, there were some posts lost when fixing the hacking of the board - including, ironically, George's message about the hacking

6. Nails

Nails Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I got one of these wow emails too on an email that is not linked to this location. it has never been used in relation to gaming but someone is buying and selling email lists. Not sure how but they are trying to scare folks into logging into fake sites and exposing their information.

7. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I've been getting those too for about 2 months now. I doubt the ones you just got are related to the problems here last night.

8. King Frankie

King Frankie Guest

I get atleast 5 a day.

9. Kellgory

Kellgory Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I've been getting them for the past 2 months if not longer, usually 1 or 2 a day, they go directly to the spam folder and under no circumstances will I click on the link attached.

10. I got hit with the "anti spyware soft" virus the other day after i checked my emails, wonder if its connected :confused:

11. Cailleach

Cailleach Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Do you know that for sure? If you do, can you let one of the admins know how please, via PM.

12. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

A successful injection attack doesn't necessarily mean personal information has been stolen.

With regard to the op, I've been saying for years that we would be naive to think that organized crime hasn't targeted MMO's. There is big money involved, and where there is big money, you will find organized crime. Even if you take only the lowest values for all those accounts, that is tens of millions of dollars.

13. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have not received any WoW related email. I got some webcam invites and some offers for medication.

14. Cailleach

Cailleach Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I've been getting the WOW emails for months, straight into my spam folder. It's a scam, WOW have notices about it on their forums. I just mark it as a phishing scam and ditch it.