1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[OOC] Death in Ultima Online

Discussion in 'UO White Stag Inn' started by WarderDragon, Aug 8, 2010.

1. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

How do the roleplayers and storytellers on your shard confront the issue of death? How do you reconcile the permanent deaths of storyline and player RPCs with the ease of ressurection and the vast availability of Wandering Healers?

I thought this would be a worthy topic for discussion.

2. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

I am copying this from another thread. This is the interpretation I and several roleplayers on Baja have chosen to adopt.

3. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I've always done the same thing; considered death to be "unconsciousness" unless there was some specific reason to treat it different. For example, on Great Lakes, one of the evil guilds is established as being extremely necromantric in nature, so their deaths are literal deaths, and their resurrections are, if not resurrections per se, at least being put into a state of conscious undeath.

Galen, interestingly, is returned from the dead himself, through means and for a reason which were never specified. (This was a way to get around having killed him off during a period when I wasn't playing. Sadly, I lack the ability to effectively RP another character, it seems, at least to RP another character full-time.)

The implication is that in the UO universe, coming back from the dead isn't unknown, but isn't easy or common.

-Galen's player

4. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

We do much the same, having a resurrection be a powerful healing spell cast to save a person's life. Sometimes we'll take it a bit further for story purposes where a character that returns in this manner requires a further cure. Thus we create new adventures where other heroes must seek rare ingredients in order to fully restore a character.