1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Order Ultima Online Maps as Wall Art!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by hawkeye_pike, Sep 4, 2009.

1. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

[I'm checking with EA whether UO maps created by me can be offered for printing without breaking any copyright. I'll update you as soon as I got an answer]

2. The maps don't have copy rights from EA/Mythic?

3. Quantum Ace

Quantum Ace Guest

While it is a nice gesture, I would advise to check with EA on this. Better to be safe, than sorry.

4. Siteswap

Siteswap Visitor

I hope you get the :thumbsup:

I like maps.

5. Zayin666

Zayin666 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Certainly better than spam... oh but wait... is this spam for maps? :wall:

Anyways... just kidding... great idea! Hope it works out!

6. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I used to have some.... updated ones would be awesome.... especially if I could get them larger.

7. DVDA

DVDA Guest

Hawkeye PM and givew me the details of exactly what your planning to sell I can help advise you...

17 U.S.C 107 (Fair Use Act)

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include--

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

8. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It just hit me that we get a new landmass and no maps! Just pdf? That's lame!
    Is this EA/Mythic company some kind of a startup or what?

9. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Why doesn't the Malas map have a label for Luna?

10. hawkeye_pike

Stratics Veteran

Sorry folks! I just received an answer from EA. I am not allowed to offer those maps as poster prints. It does violate the copyright, so it seems.

It is a shame, as I had prepared new versions of all maps with nice adornments in high resolution, to allow printing as Photo or Canvas at the size of up to 30 x 40 inches. The the Britannia map was updated with the changed Isle of Fire). I also have finished the Ter Mur map.

Well, you can still view those on my website, as usual (I will upload the new versions with improved looks and resolution next week).

11. hawkeye_pike

Stratics Veteran

I didn't want to sell anything. I just wanted to make the high-resolution artwork I created (which is based on the in-game landmass maps) available to the community without profit. To do this, I wanted to upload them to an online poster print service, where everybody could have ordered a print of any size. Of course, the customer would have had to pay the printing company for the poster (for example, $50 for a 18x24 inch photo print). I wouldn't get any money for it.

12. Ya, but copy right laws apply even if the intent isn't to charge any money or make a profit. It protects the creator in case they want to do that in the future. It was a nice gesture, but glad you asked before you got a cease and desist letter.

13. Siteswap

Siteswap Visitor

Thats a damn shame. Thanks for your efforts though Hawkeye ... would have been great.

14. Prince Erik

Prince Erik Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Nice try, Hawkeye! I can see it now :

EA UO Marketing: "Wow, I just had a great idea! Let's offer poster sized UO maps for $49.95!"

EA UO Brass: "Make it happen. Nice job!"

(2 weeks later)

UO JAPAN WEB SITE: "New special offer... EA proudly offers limited edition poster prints of UO....."

;)

-P.E.

15. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

THAT would not surprise me in the least.

16. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

you forgot the t-shirt with maps, beer mug with maps, caps with maps and maps stickers! all signed by John Smith (an unknow person picked randomly from the road)

17. The Fallout

The Fallout Guest

Hawkeye, I commend you for trying.