1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Origional Black dye tub

Discussion in 'UO Rares Collector' started by RuSini Neb, Oct 7, 2011.

1. RuSini Neb

RuSini Neb Journeyman

I have one of the origional black dye tubs, not the vet reward ones. How much if anything is it worth ?

2. Manticore

Manticore Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

100k to me

3. RuSini Neb

RuSini Neb Journeyman

So I am guessing it is worth squat then ?

if so trash it goes, I have a normal one why keep 2 ?

4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

The original is slightly more valuable because the vet one has an age restriction on it's use where the original can be used by an account of any age. If you are trashing one - I'd get rid of the vet reward version.

5. RuSini Neb

RuSini Neb Journeyman

Thank you for the insight :)

6. Manticore

Manticore Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

This is one of those items that's a rare in terms of quantity but collectible wise I am not sure if anyone would go out of their way to buy one or willing to spend a lot of gp on. One of the things you have to watch out for is people will freely give their opinions when asked on this thread but the right question should have been "How much would you pay for this item" rather than "how much is this worth". I often find that those who give big number quotes often pay 1/3 of that price.

7. RuSini Neb

RuSini Neb Journeyman

I just didn't know if I should throw one away, or if it would of been worth the trouble of trying to sell. I wasn't mad about the price or anything could care less....

None the less my question is answered, thanks for the info :)

8. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

there are actually 3 types of black dye tubs:

one that is named "dying tub" and is a regular tub not blessed or anything
    one that is blessed 1st year vet reward but still named "dying tub"
    and one that is blessed 1st year vet reward and named "black dying tub"

i believe the middle one is the most rare of all of them

the first is a hacker version tub, the second is a 1998 holiday reward, and the third is todays veteran reward

"Early in UO's history, some hackers injected the Data Stream with color code used to change the hue of dye tubs. This is how the very first Black Dye Tubs were made. The belief that it was an Easter Egg from using Coal on a normal Dying Tub is not true.
    Since black clothing became extremely popular, the developers decided to make Black Dye Tubs one of the gifts during the Holiday 1998 season. However, these tubs were still highly prized and you had to pay or have a good friend to get something dyed. Part of the reason was mischievous players you could use Dyes to ruin the tub. Later on, the use of dyes were prohibited on Black Dye Tubs.
    Finally, due to high demand, the tub was introduced as a first year Veteran reward."

9. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I remember people used to charge people to dye their clothing black and I'd always offer to do it free of charge when I saw it. Man, they hated that.

The non-vet tubs are pretty nifty, but worth only slightly more than a normal black tub in my experience. I typically sell vet black tubs for 90-95k and the non-vet ones for 150k. Hope that helps!

10. Apetul

Apetul Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
    Stratics Veteran

You always underprice items, but if you really want to pay 100k let me know, i have 60 of these original tubs :D

11. yanaki2

yanaki2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

there was 2 other tubs during that hacking both of which were much rarer and were deleted on sight by gms at the time, one was the original white dye tub and the other was some sort of off digital colored(simular to rainbow cloth) which cause quite a few client crashes early in the game.both were highly illegal and bannable.