1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT - A better mouse trap?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Death of Hemp, May 8, 2009.

1. I live in an old farmhouse that although refurbished, is to old to keep all the critters out. I heard a mouse (I hope) in my attic the other day so I set up a mouse trap. This is the third day in a row that I have come home to a mouse trap that is still set, but the peanut butter was licked clean!

I have named the procosious little bastage, Jerry. My guess is it is a young mouse, and therefore is not heavy enough to set off the trap? I'm allergic to cats.....any advice?

I'm afraid that if I keep feeding it peanut butter at this rate, I will simply help it grow to the Looney Toon size of a small kangaroo and it'll end up kickin my arse!

2. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Les stroud style free-fall rock trap. Smash that *****.

3. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Use a glue trap. And if you want to be nice you can even use some olive oil to un stick him and let him go away from your house.

4. Hugibear

Hugibear Guest

prolly not a mouse, more likely a red squirrel. These are tough to get rid of, and you must kill them. Glue traps, and poison dinner work the best. Be sure to place the glue traps where it will nail it. You dont want it dieing in your walls. They will just come back, if you dont kill them. To keep them out Hugi just bought screen cut and tacked it to anywhere they could get in.

5. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

ya glue traps work but u know not every one likes em and ive had a few chew there legs off only to get more stuck and bleed to death slowly.... but the mouse traps that look like chip clips work awsome and always kill it fast, or instead of all that noise u say ur alergic to cats so y not get a snake! go catch urself a bullhead they are fairly nice and if he gets out of ur house no big loss :p:coco::coco::coco::coco::coco:

6. archite666

archite666 Guest

I seriously laughed out loud, my wife was like WTF?

We own like 3 dvds of survivorman.

7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

12 gauge with bird shot. Pack a side arm just in case...

8. Nabber

Nabber Guest

take a handful of cement mixed with a handful of flour, mix well place anywhere mice can get to and the little buggers will die when they try to **** a brick.

9. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Get a tomcat, don't cut him; he will take care of your rodent problems.

10. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

It is probably a squirrel, who can stand on its hind legs and grab with front, thereby not placing any weight on the trap.

It could be a raccoon too, or a possum.

A ferret?

None should require too much taming skill, lore it and tell us its stats.

Use your stealing skill and go to your local Wal*Mart, they have excellent traps placed along the outside perimeter of the store, with one way swinging doors...did I say stealing skills....er... I meant, your tinker skills, look at the design and replicate it. A simple spring loaded door on a box should work ( but not cardboard ).

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Best idea yet. The Egyptians knew it, Europe learned it after the plagues. Not everything needs technology, a cat(or cats) and a farm go almost hand in hand.

12. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It very well may be a squirrel.

Every year a squirrel tries to get into our attic when it is gets colder often a pregnant one hoping to have her young somewhere safer and warmer than outdoors.

Of course the skipping and hopping about up there was driving us nuts noisy lil cuss. Hubby wanted to just blow it away if he seen it, but I said if she had young and you do kill her, where the heck ARE the babies and without her they would die and stink up the house.

We called a local animal control protection group their suggestion was *wait till spring and she will leave with her brood in tow...* long arse wait but that did happen. *course she tries to come back EVERY winter into our attic if it is the same one.

We did the one poster suggestion above and got screening up there, and tried to block any forms of openings we could between attic and roof eaves etc.

We will get mice try to sneak in too usually thru plumbing lines under sinks etc. and then try to inhabit our home. Cute though they may be they are a dirty lil nusiance.

Sticky glue papers didnt work, heard one screaming that was it for me I refuse to hear any animal screaming pain to get rid of em

We tried traps, we do NOT use any poisons if avoidable, rodent eats the poison some beautiful hunting dog or cat finds the sick or dying mouse and the house pet ends up brain damaged. *happened to our mother in law* 3 wonderful hunting breed dogs ended up being put down due to DCON..in rats they caught.

Best bet if you can is use live traps, catch the lil suckers and toss em back outside again.

They love peanut butter, that may or may not catch em on the regular trap they seem to be quite clever at times getting fat on our peanut butter and other goodies and never setting off the traps.

If affordable might have to call a pro in...we only had to do that once when yellowjackets opted to inhabit our attic ..guy went up in one of them bee space suits and extracted them.

AT worse.............name the sucker, make it a pet haha slap it in a gerbil cage and feed it till it croaks naturally. lol

I'd go with the screening off any entryholes, assorted live traps less stench that way, or get used to the sounds of pitter patter trompin in ye attic. :)

{it could be worse though, could me a momma skunk and her young hidding in your crawlspace basement like we had in Wisconsin once, PUUUUUUUUU !]

I once also found a live bat one morning, hangin off my chandelier in our home in Wisconsin, now that was a tricky removal but I achieved it and let the sucker BACK outside with us and it unharmed.

13. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

i sense your sarcasm but in all seriousness a .22 rifle with rat shot wont demolish anything and can be kinda fun.
    Unless your anti killing rodents.
    You dont have to have cats indoors for them to be effective. We have barn cats. They are not the most friendly cats and avoid most people or will fight to get away from someone that grabs them. They keep mice out of our feed room.
    Hell find a cousin you dont like force him to take a cat in the attic let it loose put some feed and water up there and let him have it out for a week .... Make sure your cousin is the one to open the attic door when its time to release the cat because its gonna come out of there fast and angry lol

14. Set out SOS pads, they love the taste and eat it, and the metal flakes kills them.

15. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Poison is kind of fun. Just put it out, they eat it and go off and die.

Look at theese two cute mice below. They are enjoying their last meal.

[​IMG]

16. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Poison is ok unless you have children or pets. I still think nature has the best solutions.

17. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

yeah guns!:gun:

we should start a seige gun club

there like on my top five fav things of the Fing everything

18. Lord Cuda

Lord Cuda Sage
    Stratics Veteran

You need to tune the trap. With a little effort and trial and error you can make it where the slightest touch will set it off and then you have your uninvited guest caught and the battle is over. But becareful when you are adjusting the trap because you can be the one caught and that is not the objective. Good Hunting!

19. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

20. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

my cat brought a mouse home and wife let can in and the mouse ran into bathroom hole under cabinets. anyhow I got 3 mouse traps and they did the same thing. they were not sensitive enough. anyhow the glue trap nabbed him when I tried that.

Lorddog