1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT Back yard grilling...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by kelmo, Sep 6, 2008.

1. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

What would you want in a back yard Monday grill? I got the TV... Fill in the blanks. It has been a decade since I have done this.

2. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Check!

4. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Visitor

Okay Kelmo youve come to the right place. Being from the south I am an expert on grilling many and various types or foods. Bear in mind that almost anything tastes good with barbeque sauce on it. Some of your obvious meats should be your staple hamburgers & hotdogs, but you shouldnt underestimate the "flavor" certain other meats could bring to the table so to speak. You should think about weather you wanna do chicken grilled maybe shishkabobs as well as perhaps ribs (pork not beef).Porkchops,sausages,steak,also should be considered and i would suggest at least 3 good meats from this grouping (i would consider this a bare minimum btw).

Once you have your meats down then you should turn your attention to the other dishes you will be serving. Definately there should be baked beans and potatoe salad (i prefer german with the mustard) there. After these two items you can go to your other dishes corn (on the cobb),salad,baked onion quarters,french fries,chips,etc. Also I would take this time to remind you not to forget the little things like cheese,lettuce,tomatoes,pickles,buns,sauces for the above listed items. As a rule of thumb desert is not required for a barbeque but If you do serve one something small like a pecan pie is perfectly acceptable.

Now I have saved the most important item for last....THE BOOZE. I would say depending on your friends about a sixer per person of some good beer, I personally would go with something like Newcastle but it would depend on your friends tastes.The keg and funnel is another option but it tends to bring out excessive stupidity and in some cases nudity.Also you can never go wrong with a good Kentucky bourbon.

As a final thought you shouldnt run out of anythng most especially the booze so plan on leftovers.

REMEMBER HOW YOU CONDUCT YOUR BBQ EXPERIENCE CAN DEFINE >YOU< GOOD LUCK AND GODSPEED!

6. Alrich

Alrich Guest

Keg, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken wings or breasts (carribean jerk chicken ftw), baby back ribs, london broil, then gotta have potato salad, somesort of noodle salad and some sort of green stuff for the ladies present

mm tho really anything that can go on a grill, win.

7. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

meeb hav a dry rub recipe lat must hav!!!!

only 1 mil shinies

8. Pestilence Hemp

Pestilence Hemp Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

after meal fatty....and before meal fatty

9. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

10. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You need to get a smoker.

11. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Country pork ribs!

Advantages: lots of meat, no bones, good flavor, fairly inexpensive meat, easy to do (great on grill or even baked in the oven in a big cast iron skillet). They have such a high fat content that even for n00b grillers, it is hard to ruin them, as the fat keeps them from drying out unless you pretty much try to sacrifice them.

These are also fantastic in a slow cooker if you want to make a big pot of BBQ pulled pork ahead of time for sandwiches.

I like to marinate them a little bit before.

There are also some really interesting cole slaw variants on Food Network recipe index. I tried one with purple cabbage mixed with green, some grated carrots tossed in, and sour cream & yogurt mixed with the standard mayo for the dressing. It turned out really tasty, and you can make it by the bucket load.

For picnics, I like to make "mock" tortes. Get a couple of good grocery store pound cakes, cut them into cubes, make a batch of vanilla instant pudding, get a can of prepared pie filling, cherry, blueberry, etc. and layer it in a big glass torte dish or a deep baking dish. Chill it after arranging it before serving. You can do any variation - chocolate pudding with bananas and mini marshmallow layers, etc.

-Skylark

12. Calibretto

Calibretto Guest

420 FTW

13. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

14. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Noting the time the sun goes down, I'm gonna mention lighting too. Nothing worse than a BBQ party lit by the single motion sensor light on your garage.

Tiki torches are cool. 5 bucks apiece at home depot...

15. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Any good southerner knows its all about the marinade. If you have a crap marinade, you'll have crap BBQ. Marinade > rub!

16. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

A grill ?? ONLY a GRILL ?

Man..only some things are ok to cook up on just... a grill. RIBS and pork shoulders etc. should be done in a smoker taking hours all day long for that wonderously succulent flava !

Grill, good or ok for steaks, fish steak filets, hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, etc...Smoker for ribs and pulled pork and *drunken chicken* all better in the smoker of course. One could go exotic w/ venison, buffalo burgers on grill or smoker depending on cuts of the meats.

Also ya need sides..slaw, potato salad, beans maybe, veggie cobbobs or tatos wrapped in foil with meltin butter/water or oil veggies juices inside to keep em soft not burned crisps for baked tatos.

Beverages be it beers or fine wines or soft drinks whatevers ya need something to wash it all down with..possibly a fine key lime pie with frosty margaritas at the end for desert.

17. Nurse Miss Maude

Nurse Miss Maude Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Everyone has the food covered.
    Don't forget citronella oil for the tiki torches. Might need some extra bug spray. "just in case"
    Go to Dollar Tree, check out their kitchen section. Get some large utensils for serving. They were only a buck....toss when done. Get some aluminum pans for all the food, again toss those when done. Don't spend your time washing the next day. Pick up some of those anchor things for table clothes. Or just duct tape them to the underside of the table. A little breeze can make an unsecured table cloth an annoyance.

Go with a keg. The least about of glass you have floating around the better.

Will there be children there? Prepare just in case. Pick up some glow sticks and water pistols to keep that nuisance, uh i mean the little darlings away from the TV area.

Have a fatty area out of view hehehe

Have more food and drink than you think you need and your party will be a hit!!

18. HaHa

HaHa Guest

A stripper is always a nice addition to any get together

19. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Thanks folks! Great ideas. I will be marinading not saucing. I want to keep this one simple so the smoker is out this time.

I called my son to come over and take out the offending tree. It has to go.

20. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I will be the stripper. *nods* Some things you should just delegate.

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Ohh and TC, I am thinking football. I will have my daughters bring some music in case.

22. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Miss Maude. I put those things on my shopping list.

23. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Sky... that desert looks devine. QZ... If this one goes well I do make a nice Key Lime pie...

24. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

AEowyn that picture is absolutly discusting :sad4:

25. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Yes it is and for so many reasons.

26. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Dog & cat would not be appetizing to me personally since the culture I live in primarily views them as companion animals. However, it is not so in every culture - they are simply another variety of animal to eat. Humane raising conditions aside, I don't find it any more terrible for them to be slaughtered for food purposes than I do cows, etc.

And when it comes right down to it...any animal is a potential source of food if one is hungry enough. I was told a story by someone whose grandfather was a utility company meter man during the Great Depression in the U.S. He was supposed to try to collect money for back utilities from people who in almost all cases were behind because they had no steady work. He went into the basement of one house, and saw a large dog carcass hanging from the beams, that had been partially carved. He just walked away, figuring that in this country a family reduced to eating dog sure wasn't going to be in a position to pay back-owed utilities.

-Skylark

27. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I was more concerened that it hadn't been gutted and what the heat source is, that little torch thingy can't be providing even heat.

28. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

I thought the same thing about the gutting, but hoped they were just preparing it for cooking after recent slaughter...but then again it looks mighty stiff already in that pic, you'd think they would have done that right away. Ewwww. At least we aren't going to be the ones eating it.

-Skylark

29. Carne Asade Pollo Asade (Asade means marinade and carne is thin sliced steak and pollo is chicken)

I live in AZ and its not a good BBQ unless you have some mexican flavor

30. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Mmmmm...grilled steak & chicken fajitas with grilled veggies can make a great party dinner with a buffet table for the fixings and so people can do the assembly. It is best if you have some type of warming trays for the meat & veggies, and wrap the tortillas in heated, damp cloths to keep them from drying out. Chips and salsa are probably going to be well received at any casual party too, even if you aren't serving Mexican style food. If you go that route though, don't even think about not serving fresh guacamole! :mad:

I want fajitas now.

-Skylark

31. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I might have to take you up on that. I'm really good at smoking/brazing ribs, but I'm always looking for a better rub..

32. omgPrymal

omgPrymal Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Winner!

Smokers are great, i have had a BBQ every sunday since late May. Beer pong and smoked ribs / turkey / anything else we can think of.

and loads of beer.