1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT beta testing...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by God_Majere, Feb 19, 2009.

1. God_Majere

God_Majere Guest

haha you guys are gonna be sad about darkfall. :yell:

2. archite666

archite666 Guest

really? i almost kinda hope so, i love uo too much

3. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I think the idea is great, and now that people can talk about beta, we can get some honest reviews. Though I think the PvP in will be not very good. Reason being it takes actual skill. There is no precast, or warning (from what I have seen), and you acutally need to face enemies etc. Which is great, however lag monster will ruin it. So unless you have a wicked 20mbps conn, and they have flawless servers, its gonna be pretty damn hard to PvP. And lag at all, and you will be useless I think

4. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

Don't hate it until you've played it. The people who tell you you'll either love it or hate it are wrong though. I love it and hate it.

Good: Too much to list. It's the most fun I've had in MMOs in 4 years. Despite all that is wrong with it, it's probably the best thing out there even at this stage when it hasn't even been released yet.

Bad: It needs 3+ months before it's ready for release imo. There are important bugs that need fixing, and more than bugs there are too many poorly implemented and poorly thought out features.

I'll be playing it, even with all the crap (including a carebearish element that I hate). It really is 100x better than UO. I'm not sure how many people here will agree with that statement since most of the people who would probably aren't playing UO anymore. But for anyone who came to Siege for the supposed risk, tough, challenging play....you'll most likely love DarkFall despite its problems.

I'll end with a fun story I'll never forget. Huge adrenaline rush.

I was about 10 min away from one of the Alfar starting towns at a bank near my chaos stone (basically a chaos stone is where reds respawn at death). I had hid behind a table inside the bank building (btw what the devs promised about real stealth and all that is true...there is no magical invisible skill, you use the terrain to your advantage, move silently, hide behind cover, and so on, and it works). Was lying down and just about ready to go afk...

Just then 4 dwarves and a human (racial enemies) come in. Most miss me as I'm well hidden. But one sees me. I start getting wacked by them with melee weapons. I run out of the bank with 5 mana missiles being shot at me (everything is manually aimed, so thankfully I was able to dodge many of the spells). They chase me to a nearby mountain. That's where I say screw it, I'm naked, I have no mount, there's 5 of them and they're right next to me, I might as well put up a fight before I die. So I start swinging wildly like a mad man. I jump and sprint all over dodging their hits while hitting them (easier to hit them than it is me since there are 5 of them...and yes, there's friendly damage so if they're not careful they can hit each other).

Unfortunately for me,, my stamina gets fried quick jumping and sprinting and swinging. Once you lose stam in this game, you'll probably gonna be dead soon. Just when my stam is about completely out (which means I won't be able to move fast and thus get hammered by their swords and die) one of them decides to summon a horse. I hop on the horse and start riding away as fast as I can. They start shooting their ranged mana missiles once again and my poor horse is getting hit hard. Twice I run out of stamina so my horse slows to a crawl. But just when I'm about to get toasted, my stam picks up again and I ride on!

I found a nearby city to hide in and got off my mount (which had very little life left), then sat down to regain stam. But soon I saw Dwarves charging up the stairs. They had found me! I got on the horse, jumped down as they were coming up, and made my getaway! It was a blast:p.

Not sure how much if any that story will mean to you but just trying to give an example of an unforgettable moment and the hella fun I had in DF.

Anyhow, try it out once it gets going. GL!

5. God_Majere

God_Majere Guest

run run run run run run OUT OF STAM
    fight fight OUT OF STAM
    left click left click OUT OF STAM
    grind grind OUT OF STAM
    heal for 1 hp! OUT OF STAM
    aboslutely nothing like uo
    no player housing system
    no stealing
    cant choose your view

6. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

There's been some lag here and there for some including myself, but it doesn't last (or didn't for me). Their servers are in Germany and I'm in Illinois, USA. My comp is a laptop and not an amazing one either. I haven't had a lot of problem with lag in PvP, not me or my opponents. Though you should turn off shadows if you need to...gives you a major fps boost. Though I'm speaking from a solo/small group players experience. I'm not sure how much it'll lag (if at all) in large battles as I haven't been in any.

7. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

From what I've heard: If you were old school UO or big time WoW PvPer, you love it.

If you're just some kid who plays MMOs, likes tram, and doesn't PvP much: You will hate it and suck.

8. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

Yes the stam system is annoying to me, as is the whole need of consumables such as food and potions. But it also has its virtues. If you mindlessly wack your weapon or sprint all over the place, you're going to run out of stam and lose faster. There's a lot of skill needed in conserving your stam...but they do need to change it imo so I can at least swing (though not sprint) when out of stam. I hate having to just sit down and die after I'm out of stam due to fighting multiple opponents. They also need to make potions and the mana to stamina spell help less imo.

Overall though, the combat is great. It does take skill. As already said though, you do have to manually aim EVERYTHING. Which is a good thing but will take getting used to for those of you not big into shooter games.

9. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Keep it in this thread, please. We are all interested. Well most anyways. Thank you for your cooperation. *tips hat*

10. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

Might be best if DarkFall was added to the title so people who don't click every thread know what it's about...

11. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I love it.

Im glad it is its own game too.

*waves farewell to Siege Perilous*

Goodluck friend n foe alike

*Vanishes*

12. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Promise?

Ehh, who am I kidding. What good would a Puffy promise be anyways.

13. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I had a couple of zingers in mind for him after that post, but Beeznutz hit the proverbial nail right on its flattened head.

14. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Barter Town

Sounds great.

But I'm not getting hooked on (any) other game after UO dies. Too much time.

:fight:

15. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

LOL, I've already scheduled the 25th off work to give the game a go. What's the worst that can happen? I hate the game and quit after a month? The biggest dissapointment I have is the lack of stealing from players, I guess I'll be playing the role of the looter and assassin instead...la

16. Hef

Hef Guest

I had a feeling the game will suck ... all you guys are the grass is greener on the other side types which will lead to disappointment. :)

17. TheScoundrelRico

Nah, we are more the group of people who are disappointed in the direction UO has headed over the years, and are willing to try all the new comers to try and find one that is closer to what UO used to provide as far as an in game rush, as opposed to waiting for the current UO to be revised to bring that rush back.

Personally, I won't deactivate my UO account (all of them at least) but at the same time, if DF is what I have been hoping for...I may only keep one UO account open. I did the same thing when WoW and EVE came out, gave that game a good ride, but when I tired of it, UO was the only game I was willing to come back to..la

18. Saris

Saris Guest

I am gonna give it a wirl I am set up when it comes out in a merc clan, ill be saris their too if I can, but me deactivate my UO ummmm ive lost too much and let too many house go, my UO will go away when UO goes away.

19. TheScoundrelRico

I guess I should check my email more often. I just found that I had been accepted into beta on the 18th. ROFL. I won't be getting anything done this weekend, lol...la

20. Goron

Goron Guest

qft...

21. archite666

archite666 Guest

Hmm what I seem to be witnessing here is similar to how people behave when it comes to how tough they are.

Like your bad ass mma people never say anything but the guy that talks the most and SAYS how bad he is usually can't back it up.

what i'm getting at, is if the people that have played it soo much thinks its sooo good, then why are you here overtly saying how great it is?

Wouldn't then the natural responce be "try it and see for yourself." if you were indeed that confident in its success?

I dont know, you can tell alot from what people say, if that game was THAT amazing, wouldnt you be playing it rather than posting here telling us how good it is?

22. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

Ya know, I kinda hope the people who say this will stay away and not try it. You're deciding whether it's good or not based on the OP saying "haha it sucks I don't like the combat system." ??? I think you guys want it to suck and I think that's been the case for many players throughout the development of DarkFall. I don't know what it is, but many seem to fear DarkFall. Maybe because they know it probably will be a good game, which is a threat to the sucky games they refuse to leave?

23. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

Maybe the servers are down so we can't play right now? Maybe we're interested in informing our old friends and opponents from other games so that they might try it?

Nor do I see anyone in this thread saying "omg it's like I'm in heaven hurry hurry try it you'll love it 1000% guaranteed blah blah blah."

I was the biggest fanboi I know, and as I already pointed out, I'm pretty disappointed with many aspects of DarkFall. I think the devs went the wrong way on many things and poorly implemented other things. It sure as hell isn't ready for release, but I guess they need the money.

No one is sugar coating it and saying it doesn't have problems. It has a ton of problems. That doesn't change the fact that, at least for me anyway, despite its problems it's still 100x better than UO, has a ton of potential, and is still extremely fun.

As I said in my last post, I honestly think many of you want it to fail. Nor do I expect all of the people playing Siege to want to try DarkFall at all because I believe few true Siege types remain and many that are left are quite honestly trammies.

But for those who don't like the way UO and Siege are going, who think the past was better than the present UO, and who came to Siege for that risk and challenge, then try out DarkFall. If you want to avoid some of the problems, perhaps wait a few months before trying it. It's not a great game. It's not there yet. It needs a lot of work to get there. But despite not being a great game, it's far better even at beta stage than any of the other crap out there and it's still hella fun.

Seeya in DF.

24. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*waits for US roll out*

25. Revvo

Revvo Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The only thing making the game slightly interesting is the initial amount of griefing potential until 90% of the players realise they don't actually want such a hardcore gaming experience. Just the sheer ease of noto killing innocent people without fear of becoming a murderer is amazing, basically everything that you could do to grief people in early U.O is being catered for :)

26. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Someone please tell me where everyone got all of this info from? Honestly.

"I heard this game will suck"

"It's going to be too hard"

Ok? Who gives a ****. This game isn't UO you're not going to be looking down on the equivalent of a stick figure to most gamers, and have easily manipulated controls, it will be hard to take someone down.

And it sure as hell isn't WoW, where I can blind fold myself and set a brick on the keyboard and succeed at PvP.

It is a new game, with totally new rules, that IMO, has as much potential as Ultima Onlina circa 97. I was too young to remember when UO came out, I started playing this game when I was 9 but had no idea about forums, or beta, or any of that crap. But from what I've been told, when this game released it had an intimate following of old Ultima players, many of which complained how had it was, that PKs were *****, etc. Everything is hard at first, people just don't realize it now because they have made UO such an easy game to play.

Remember back in 97, 98, hell, 2000?

You start a mage character, because you think it will be cool. You just bought UO and are excited to go kill the dragon you see on the front of the box. You enter the world on your generic mage Merlin and inventory what the lords of Britania have bestowed upon a young apprentice mage!

-An empty spell book
    -Create food, feeble mind, harm, magic unlock scrolls
    -100 gold pieces
    -about 18 mixed reagents
    -Clothing

WHAT THE **** IS THIS?!

But you tried to make the best of it. You walk around, see a mongbat or skeleton, and it has gold on it. You quickly snag it up, and no sooner than it hits your pack, a player with a red name, a heavy cross bow, and a skeleton mask pops out and drops a bolt into your back. You FINALLY figure out how to rez, and realize, where is my stuff? How am I going to do ANYTHING now?

And that is the majority of most peoples first encounters with UO. The first character I played I was killed by a hind, anyone remember dying to ANIMALS? Before they beefed the damage up on all weapons, made mobs easier, and practice weapons still existed? This game used to be hard, it's all of the constant crying from real, PvP, Fel born and bred vets that lead to the Trammy state UO is currently in. you wanted to PvP, so you asked for higher stats starting out. You asked for a bag of 20-30 regs, a thousand gold, etc. And that's what happened.

So before you go bad mouthing Darkfall, try it out. Don't let the ease of UO scare you off. I know only about 2% of people here are really vets, but everyone likes to puff their chests and say "I PLAY SIEGE I AM HARDCORE" but it's just not true. Being a murderer for weeks, and finally dying to a group of notos and having to delete the character because you're so deep in stat loss is a vet, D knows what I'm talking about, as well as Puffy and a few others.

If you want to bad mouth Darkfall, try it first. I got a chance to play a little beta thanks to a RL friend(I couldn't send in my request, my computer hates me) and it has tons of potential. I have that same tingly feeling I got from UO when I first loaded it up and saw all the cool things I could do. A feeling I didn't get from WoW, EQ, Ashen Empire, AoC, etc.

27. Angora

Angora Guest

Haha...I remember those days. I think Noto-PKs singlehandedly made EQ successful without even knowing it. UO was crazy back then. You had to make a dash for it every time you left town because there were always PKs hiding right outside the gate.

If nothing else, at least Darkfall isn't another WoW clone and is probably worth trying out.

28. TheScoundrelRico

See though, that was part of the fun. The rush you would get from merely leaving town is something the current game doesn't come close to. I remember taking the long way around to get to the Brit gate...just to avoid getting ganked. Then if you made it to the gate, you really didn't know where you were going to land, since you didn't get a gump to select what gate you would get sent to...la

29. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

You knew about clocks right?

30. TheScoundrelRico

Didn't a sextant give you a hint as to where the gate would take you?...la

31. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Don't know about sextants, but moongate timing waits were fun. 20 people standing around a gate waiting to go to moonglow.

32. K'torr

K'torr Guest

In UO, I totally sucked at PvP.
    In DF, I'm only mediocre.

33. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

Hey MODS why are post like this allowed it has nothing to do with UO im really sure if Darkfall has its own forums.

34. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

It has to do with this shard since DarkFall should appeal to many who would play here...

35. Black magick

Black magick Guest

I believe it was spy glasses. Those days were fun lol. Turn red and find out your neighbors had just got together to make an anti guild. House camping and even stole one guys tower and house on top. *snickers* "Owned" the whole neighborhood before too long, then they killed it... :sad4:

36. I probly wont bother with darkfall, since Mortal online looks way better, im just gona wait it out, keep playing uo.

Perhaps ill try darkfall, but ill probly quit 4-6 months later when MO come:scholar: