1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT computer savey

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Becca, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Becca

Becca Journeyman
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Is there any negative effect to letting a computer run 24/7

2. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

That depends. Is it drinking plenty of Gatorade?

3. grig_since98

grig_since98 Guest

Well, there is a power consumption issue, but its probably not a huge deal, unless you're running some custom moster with some kind of weird cooling system. You're refrigeration/food/climate control, or in fact anything with an electric motor or resistance heating, is going to use most of your power.

My home computer isn't on 24/7, but its probably at least on half of that. With the exception of short power outages ( and very few of those ), the two computers I use at work have been running continuously for a little over 10 years and they've been doing fine. In fact, I desperately wish they'd fail, because its the only way I'm going to get machines made this century. Of course, with the attitude in the U.S. about government spending right now, I might end up with an abacus, so perhaps not.

4. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Mine only go off when theres no power, Or if I'm away for more than a few days and I haven't had any issues.

I'd just recommend you maybe hoover out the fans every few months.

5. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

if the uPC has an adequate cooler, not much to worry about.
    Power supply is still up, taking any electrical surges to it's self (typ doesn't bother the motherboard tho)
    Fans are still running, sucking in dust which will clog vents & cooling sinks.
    Fan bearings will fail sooner(becoming noisy & eventually not starting at reboot), normally they just plug-in, so easily changed.

It wouldn't really bother me w/ a desktop/tower, I turn it off if I go out of town.
    If it's a rack-mount, it's Made to do that
    Laptop - same as desktop, they'll normally shut themselves down if they overheat - if it's a relatively clean environment, a few days easily, plus you can set power options to help the coolness.
    If you run an external cooler(for over-clockers), there's always that fear of coolant leaks

6. Becca

Becca Journeyman
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Thank you for the replies
    I was thinking of running a map server for my guild on my other machine but didnt want it to die from being on all the time

7. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Note sure what a map server is, but if it is just a website, you could use a free service like WordPress.com or get a free or cheap php hosting service.

8. Annonymous User

Annonymous User Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

You know this has been a long debate thats been going on for years. This is basically what the end breaks down to though. Leave it on use a little bit more electricity for the year, don't leave it on burn your cpu up slightly faster (due to inrush load). With that being said if you keep the same computer for over a year and actually try to test the differences you will find that its close to the same exact cost. In the end its just personal preference.

9. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

ps's can and do take victims with it when they fail but leaving it on or off produces the same stress to the ps. as mentioned earlier, only your electricity bill will be effected.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Personally, my advice is if you don't use it for more than an hour, power it off.

If you need to run a map server 24/7, then I'd say that you are indeed using the PC. I understand that there really are advantages by doing this, but with UOAM and UOCarto servers being so easily set up (it comes with the client as well, no extra install needed), just ask whoever's playing at that time to take over with starting a server instance.

When you power on something, the initial rush of electricity does cause extra stress on electronics and erodes the conducting material. So repeatedly switching on and off electronics is not advised. However, companies that sell surge protectors won't tell you that "repeatedly" here means something like switching the darn thing off and on every second for days/weeks/months :D

I've never had any of my CPUs burn out from the minor surges from powering up or from erosion. And I power off my PC nightly.

But I did have a huge power surge (from a lightning strike) fry my modem. Surges will only fry your electronics if there's electricity running through (or if electricity can run through). So remember to switch off the power from the power socket end instead of just doing a soft power off on your PC.

Where I live, lightning strikes are definitely riskier than the slow erosion that reduces the lifespan of my PC for a little bit.

Besides, it's a waste of natural resources to burn up power even when it's not needed. Every bit helps. Imagine the resources/money/carbon units that can be saved if everyone just simply switches off the lights and their PCs when they eave the office.