1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT: Curse you RIS/WDS!

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Wulf2k, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

"Select the operating System you want to install.

(image)
    (image)"

*Click one, click next.*

"Windows could not display the images available for installation."

....BUT YOU JUST DID!

I SELECTED IT AND CLICKED NEXT!

DAMN YOU WINDOWS DEPLOYMENT SERVICES SERVER, I GAVE YOU LIFE AND I CAN DAMN WELL TAKE IT AWAY!

2. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

*pours lemon juice on the paper cut in Wulf's soul*

I always found it amusing that in tech school, when we imaged our computers to Windows server systems to learn RIS, we used Altiris or another 3rd party image management system that actually worked without involving therapy and possibly bloodshed, and our instructors said "learn this for the test and then pray you never actually have to use the native Windows deployment tools in a production environment." :D

-Skylark

3. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

The legacy RIS images still work, but RIS won't allow different service packs for different images. It makes them blue screen. (Took me most of a day's spare time to discover the cause of that one). So I'm trying to set up an updated WDS image for the laptops so they can be wiped with a minimum of hassle as they go in/out without requiring updating every time.

But WDS, to the best of my understanding, was programmed by a dyslexic Irishman on St. Patty's day. PKZIP and a USB-HDD adapter would be a better imaging solution.