1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT- DarkFall!

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Masumatek, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

Start stocking up on supplies............

Because it's coming Jan. 22nd!!!!!!

"January 22nd 2009 Launch Date Announced for Darkfall Online.

Athens, Greece – December 5th, 2008 - Audio Visual Enterprises SA and Aventurine SA in a joint statement today announced that their highly anticipated MMORPG title Darkfall Online will launch across Europe on January 22nd, 2009. North American players are also welcome to participate in the European launch of Darkfall which will precede a North American launch.

More details to be announced as they become available.

About Darkfall Online
    Darkfall Online is a massive multiplayer online (MMO) fantasy role-playing game featuring a fun, fast-paced, real-time combat system, massive battles, clan warfare and empire building. Darkfall combines role-playing, action, and strategic gameplay. Darkfall has been designed to create intensely realistic and highly immersive combat and a challenging, realistic environment for a more immersive experience. With full collision detection battle lines really matter and well-aimed spell blasts will send opponents flying. Darkfall's goal is to provide players with a fun and challenging experience through a seamless and zoneless, non-instanced, "sandbox" game world.
    www.darkfallonline.com

About Audio Visual Enterprises SA
    Audio Visual Enterprises SA is a leading home entertainment company located in Athens, Greece. Audio Visual is a group of companies which encompasses a large range in the field of entertainment, including video, television, cinema, and amusement parks, and is the official partner of entertainment industry giants such as Warner Bros, The Walt Disney Company, and Village Films. With Darkfall Online, and the creation of a Games division, Audiovisual enters into the field of online gaming.
    www.audiovisual.gr

About Aventurine SA
    Aventurine SA is an independent computer games developer located in Athens, Greece. Aventurine is fueled by passion for gaming and game technologies. Aventurine's main project is Darkfall Online, a groundbreaking game scheduled to launch January 22nd, 2009. Development of the game, the technology platform, game engine, and tools began in 2003. The Darkfall team consists of thirty veteran developers.
    www.aventurine.gr

[email protected]
    +30 210 6897185"

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=87239

2. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Isn't this one of the 66 seals? Looks like Lilith got to this one too. :)

I hope it's everything we hope it to be...

3. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

*starts making plans to shut down 3 of his 4 active accounts*

I wonder if they will allow transfers of toons made on Euro servers to American servers. Either way, I'll be online in-game on Jan 22nd...la

4. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

And now the fall of ultima online siege perilous. How many of the people here will be quitting to play darkfall?

5. a ghoul

a ghoul Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

*pulls out a clump of hair*
    I NEED A NEW COMPUTER :'(

6. TheScoundrelRico

*raises hand*...la

7. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

It sounds like it is worth keeping an eye on, but probably unlikely that a U.S. release will happen before summer next year.

I will be curious as to how the crafting system & resource gathering pans out in player reviews, in something promoted as a largely PvP based game.

System requirements are going to be another factor.

-Skylark

8. Revvo

Revvo Slightly Crazed

I really hope you all find what you are looking for with Darkfall and start enjoying your gaming again, logging on because you want to play and not because of habit is something i think most of you have not experienced in a long time :)

9. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Puffy, Revvo, Stil waiting for a reply from Azural Kane and Nico... to bash Siege...

10. K'torr

K'torr Guest

I have so been waiting for this.

Is there any information on system requirements, might have to send a "Next Day Air" letter to Santa.

11. shipwrek

shipwrek Guest

Fresh out of beta.. it's going to be buggy, over promised, and under delivered for the next year (conservative) unless this company is unlike any other software company I have seen in 20 years working in IT.

I'm staying with UO for now. I have little interest in spending months building the time investment games seem to require these days putting in dues.

In a year, I may check to see how much people are pancakes about the bugs if the hype appears to be sustained :)

Greek software company.... wonder how that tech support is going to work.

12. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable

*raises hand* However, I will wait until the North American Servers open up. I won't be shutting down my accounts....right away at least.

13. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

Nah, it wouldn't be that late, not unless they were very foolish.

The devs have said that, failing to launch in both Europe and America simultaneously, which was their goal, they would move quickly and launch in America a soon as possible.

As to system requirements, we don't have any specific information, only vague comments such as "so and so screenshot was taken with a low-end video card." I think the devs would like as much as many of us for DF to not be too harsh on system requirements. We'll see soon. I wouldn't count on being able to play it on the oldest systems though...

14. GoodGuy

GoodGuy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

yay i can't wait for this.

15. Revvo

Revvo Slightly Crazed

Siege is what the players make of it, U.O is what the semi-intelligent incompetent DEV's have made it :)

Make of that what you will.

16. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

If everyone leaves, who will take my purple shoes?

17. This is the reason I haven't played Warhammer. I've been waitin for this instead, but I'm not gonna quit Siege....at first. I'll play both a couple months and make sure its what I think its gonna be. I may still keep one Seige acct but not play often.

18. omgPrymal

omgPrymal Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

a few years too late for me. Done with MMO's. Come play Left4Dead instead.

19. TheScoundrelRico

One more reason to play Darkfall. I just read an interview with one of the developers. They refuse to allow tamers in their game...w00t...la

20. Azural Kane

Azural Kane Guest

wtf does this thread have to do with Siege? and when was the last time Nico posted here? 6 months ago? lawl...

as for Darkfall can't wait. been trying to get into the beta :( i'll be in it as soon as I can though and I hope it doesn't suck

21. K'torr

K'torr Guest

I don't plan on immediately closing my account either. I'll open a DF account, have a look around, and only then decide if I'll either sell off my UO account, put it in "storage", or decide DF is not what I was hoping for.

22. KinG DaviD

KinG DaviD Guest

Im not quitting UO for it. I had similar excitement for AoC (Age of Conan).
    I sold off a few of my accounts in anticiaption for this next great thing! And yes teh game is cool...but lacks endgame form what i read...didnt get that far...the graphics were amazing...the fighting was even pretty neat...yet i kept logging into UO instead...the game is easier and there is a player economy...etc...
    All im sayn..is dont quit ahead of time....Im excited for it too....but i will keep mine tempered...and wait till i play the game for some time...before i make that drastic of a move again.

Its hard to just dump someting i have been playing on and off for almost 10 years....i will probably keep 1 acct just cuz i still like UO.

part of me wishes that they would make a new shard...that would go back to the old rules...when the game 1st came out....where there wasnt all these crazy weapons....where who ever was decked out and artied out the most wins....I miss the days where i was excited to use my ID wand to see if i got a weapon of Vanquishing.

I would be curious to see how a shard like that would do????

23. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I wasnt bashing siege, I was saying Ultima Online in general. And I was just asking how many people will be quitting to pursue darkfall.

You may finally get to call yourself the best, if all quit that is. :scholar:

24. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Storytime...:loser:

25. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Ive seen release dates for DF many times over the years, ill believe it when i see it.

26. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yep, And Ill just move. Back to the topic, how many are thinking of at least trying it out? :yell:

27. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

My prediction... It will be a niche game. I hope it is more successful than some that have come out recently. It will not have huge success because there will be loss. People hate to lose....

28. Masuo Kenji

Masuo Kenji Guest

I've been always been skeptical about Darkfall, and will remain so until playing the game myself.

What I am really surprised by, is that there have been no leaks on the supposed "Beta" they had. I've already read the beta impressions on the Adventurine site, but something's fishy. There has to be at least someone who's broken the NDA.

The beta leak forums I know of are not saying anything, the jaded gamer forums are not saying anything, and even a lot of hardcore PvPers I know who applied for beta and even post often on the Adventurine forums have not had an invite or heard anything.

Darkfall is very niche game for a niche type of PvP, and we will see if a new game in the FFA PvP full-loot vein can exist in the current market. If they can, congrats to them, but it's all up to chance.

29. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I have a horrible feeling the developers will come up against the same kind of thing as Garriott did all those years ago.

Their rosy vision of how things will work won't stand up to the petty spitefulness and bullying found in real people. Instead of their vision of glorious battles between opposing forces they'll get gangs of roaming bullies looking for smaller groups and singles they can gank.

I hope I'm wrong.

30. Masuo Kenji

Masuo Kenji Guest

Petra, here is the exact equation for what happens in a lot of multiplayer games:

[​IMG]

31. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ill try it out for sure. We should form some kind of ex-siege players guild or alliance or whatever they have. :p

32. TheScoundrelRico

Yep, it seems to be attracting a lot, and I mean a lot, of former UO players...la

33. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

That's to be expected, heck folk have been posting 'I'm waiting for Darkfall' just about as long as I've been playing. I just hope it lives up to their long-held expectations.

34. KinG DaviD

KinG DaviD Guest

i will be trying darkfall for sure....but i will not be quitting UO...even if i like darkfall. Leaving UO is kinda like leaving a girlfriend you have had for 10 years. Yes, there "appears" to be more exciting stuff out there. But I am a loyal guy i guess.

Question:

How many people have been in this exact situation before?? Where you are ready for the next great MMO and are getting ready to sell off or quit UO altogether...only later to realize UO is still better than "that next great MMO"??

If any of you are going to just quit...lemme know what kinda accounts you are gooing to be throwing away...i may take em off your hands.. :)

I have room since i sold off a few of my accounts for Age of Conan...and im down to just 1 account now...hehe

*** Note: Age of Conan is shelved in my computer desk and deleted off my harddrive****

35. degamra

degamra Guest

It depends. Darkfall has the makings of the best MMO of all time or the biggest disappointment. Everything I've seen so far (look for the Watery Grave video on YouTube) looks extremely promising and this is made by a bunch of people who are heavily inspired by old UO.

I will most likely get an account.

As for system requirements, it is said that "if you can handle World of Warcraft, you can handle Darkfall".

36. burdensrise

burdensrise Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

That is very disappointing to hear. World of warcraft can be ran on basically anything. It has poor graphics. I was hoping Darkfall after all these years in the making would have great graphics. Better than Crysis, Better than Age of Conan.. Etc

37. burdensrise

burdensrise Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I made it two weeks on Conan after release. I was waiting for the game for many years thinking it would be the best of all. I have formatted my Hard drive 3 times since the last time I have installed it. I think the box is still in my house somewere?

I will be giving DF a try but I am definitally not quitting UO or trashing items, selling accounts etc. Not with another UO expansion around the corner that may bring back many players.

38. K'torr

K'torr Guest

It is possible that UO is dragging its feet with SA because it is waiting to see how DF is received. I am not predicting UO's demise, but it is a possibility.

39. Rykus

Rykus Guest

I understand your sentiments, but I happen to work with someone who is in beta right now. They really like much of what they see, but say the combat is very difficult at first. This is encouraging to me, as they never played UO, but come from DAoC, and SB. Combat being difficult makes me believe it will rely much on the human's skill playing the game rather than their character's skills, or their pet.

Am I leaving UO for DF? No, I've been gone from UO for quite a while. I left UO because of many reasons, most having to do with what I see as a complete lack of direction, and the astounding disconnect between players and those who make UO. I'm glad there are people who still enjoy UO despite this, but I'm no longer one of them. If DF is a big disappointment, I'll probably give up MMOs altogether since there is absolutely nothing else out there that appeals to me.

I tried AoC, and it was a decent diversion for a while, but as I said originally, it is not something that can hold one's attention for very long. I hoped it would entertain me for about 3 months (or until the DF release), but I only made it 6 weeks before closing the account.

40. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I doubt it highly. It's not like they money isn't already spent. It's going to come out, there no point in dragging their feet, and if they designed like that, the game would never go anywhere.

I doubt it will kill UO, since the vast majority of UO players don't want open pvp, like darkfall has, but it may well kill siege. But only if it can really deliver on what it promises.

For me the big question is items. How crafting works, and what kind of equipment and magic items are available to players and how. If crafting is just a tack on like in alot of games, I know I will be much less interested.

41. Masuo Kenji

Masuo Kenji Guest

UO is still surviving supposedly because of Mark Jacobs. When EA handed UO over to Mythic, they wanted to pull the plug, but Jacobs convinced them to give our game more funding.

It's been helping, maybe not entirely in the favor of Siege, but we have more devs, and updates are more frequent than they used to.

42. Revvo

Revvo Slightly Crazed

Orly?

43. Turtle

Turtle Guest

There was a quote from an interview that said the best items ingame would be made by crafters, not from loot. Everything decays, can be repaired though and will eventually break after multiple repairs.

To Revvo's tamer comment I think the tamed stuff is low lvl, not dragons doing 99 hps to 100 hp players.

44. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Same here...for a game that is supposedly coming out of beta and heading for a January 2009 production launch, specific information about actual game mechanics is incredibly vague on the various forums I have poked around on. They keep hinting at this incredible crafting system & economy in the dev, and ad blurbs but there are no examples, details or anything to even hook the interest of an existing MMORPG crafting fan that I have seen on the forums. It is weird.

I did enjoy reading this particular developer journal. However, it is also mainly just hints and such to create interest and not much substance. I really hope they made a wonderful game that many people will enjoy playing together, but I have a feeling in the end they will be disappointed if the quality of the game is going to be dependent on people playing it. It is touted as a sandbox game, much like UO. But while most of us may love playing in the sandbox, most of us have also experienced the bully that comes along sees a group of kids happily playing in the sandbox and proceeds to knock everyone's sand castles down, and grab all the toys, until they get fed up, and leave. :p

Guess we'll see in a couple of months.

-Skylark

45. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I have not been following it all that closely and am not intending to play, but my understanding is that they eventually decided to ditch all pets and the necro summons stuff. But, as Skylark says, for all the talk of hundreds of skills, spells and the advanced crafting system, specifics have been sparse to say the least.

46. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Me and Kelmo agree on something. AoC was supposed to be a ground breaking amazing game. And for awhile, it was pretty fun. Then you realize it does exactly what every other MMO but UO does: it feels like a job.

UO has always been the game with the most options, most to do, and probably more importantly, the best PvP system. I loaded my WoW account back up this week to play a little, and let me explain: it made me want to throw my computer in the bath tub...but I couldn't stop playing. The game is based on objectives, on meeting a goal, and getting to "the end" (full PvP suits, 80ed, flying mounts, etc).

And that's what DF will be, and UO has never been. With UO there is no feeling of end game. It's just fun. You can log on and mine ore for a few hours, narrowly escape a PKer, then log on your mage to go farm elder gazers so you can buy your friend, or brother, or whoever else a set of armor, because you told them about a fun new game you found called Ultima Online.

I will play Darkfall, but anyone who has played UO from the beginning knows exactly what I'm talking about. I met friends on this game when I was 12 and still talk to these people, play other games with them, and so on. When they've passed through Indiana on business I've let a buddy crash on the couch and play some UO on my PC. While UO may be in a sad state now, that doesn't mean that every other game that comes out is going to be amazing, or give you that feeling of actually wanting to log on. It just means developers messed UO up, and all we can hope for is that they open up some PreUO:R servers, UO:R servers, AOS, and SE when this game finally goes down the tubes, and start giving us freedom in the game like they used to.

47. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

I quit to play much better games than UO a long while ago. I'll try Darkfall as well.. but I suspect it to be a huge disappointment. After about 8 different betas in the past 3 years, I'll never invest the kind of hope that most of the people who place DF up there with the coming of Christ. ;)

48. Masumatek

Masumatek Guest

A lot of the information you'll find is outdated. You have to really keep up with the updates to know what's going on. And even then your brain might explode trying to remember what's what:0

Tamers are out. There was going to be a huge focus on npc hirelings. No longer...the devs feel actual player versus PLAYER combat is far more important. There will be NPC guards both in NPC and player cities. The exact details of this are unknown. Guards won't insta kill you like in UO though.

Crafting: Again, specific details are sparse. You can read part 4 of the update on thenoobcomic.com. The author briefly describes crafting a few things. The devs have said the crafting system will not be revolutionary. That wasn't the focus of the game. However, crafting will be very useful as someone else already explained. Crafters will be of great importance. Also, in addition to item decay and full loot, there's only one character per account, just like Siege:)

In reply to K'torr's stealth comment in the other thread: Yes, there is no skill or spell that makes you invisible. DarkFall has REAL stealth. There might be skills helping you out a bit (such as lighter footsteps: speculation since I don't think they've gone into specific details on such skills), but there will be no stealth skill. Want to be sneaky? Walk silently/crawl. Use the shadows. Use cover. Use camouflage. Yes, camouflage. Wearing some shiny plate armor? Heh, ain't gonna work. They'll hear the clinking of your armor moving, the sun/moonlight will reflect off your armor, etc...I have a feeling stealth will be more fun in DarkFall than any other game, which is kinda funny considering there is no stealth skill!

Orkit: No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. DF is like the anti-WoW. And the game you can compare it most to is old UO. The devs played UO. They miss UO. They want to recreate that same old feeling of UO that many of you loved. You can see elements of UO in so many aspects of DarkFall that there's too many to list. DarkFall is UO number two with the potential to be far better than the original UO. Comparing DarkFall to WoW is simply ridiculous.

49. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Skylark,

Here is a link to the DF preview Mas mentioned. Part 4 has the mention of the crafting. It sounds like even the crafting will be very familiar to UO people.

http://beta.thenoobcomic.com/df_preview/intro.html

DF also has backpacks like the 2D client, so you don't have to deal with the grid inventory like in every other 3D MMOG - YAY!

The more I read, and see of DF, the more it really does look and feel like UO. Very much looking forward to being called a n00b for the first time in the new world, which will probably be from a guy who's never heard of UO. :) n00b

50. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Only thing I see I dislike so far is no hard cap on skills, just that they deteriorate over time if unused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!