1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT: Does Anyone Drive A Powerstroke?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by N49ATV, Mar 1, 2009.

1. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here drives a powerstroke diesel. Looking at an 09 FX4, but it just seem to have any get up and go. Doesnt push me into the seat when I get onto it, even at low speeds. My 08 GMC Sierra with the 6.0 Gas seems to have the same pull. Wondering if the one I was driving had some sort of issue? I went and test drove a duramax and it pushed me into the seat, and went. So if anyone has driven both perhaps you could give me a compairison.

Thanks

2. Saris

Saris Guest

I remeber the powerstroke as bieng fairly torqy, you may have issues, cuase it always ran the crap our of gmc's duromax, get a reading from the obd2 sensor, also I have driven a few with towing packs sold OEM, they have less umpgh but more pull.

3. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Ya this one felt flat. I know there is pulling power there, I dont think the amount of weight i put behind it would effect it much, but it was very very compairable to the 6.0 gas jobby GMC has out. I know they dont have the HP that the gas ones do, but I expected with a rated 650ft/lbs that the ford would be much much torqier

4. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Was it one of the flame thrower editions:hahaha:

I still love how they put out a new engine and it is a flame thrower :rolleyes:

5. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Not that I know of. Still said Powerstroke. Flame thrower sounds pretty lame lol. I just found for a diesel, and its extra cost, its wasnt putting out. But with ford, for a work truck, diesel is your only choice. the 5.4L is too small, and will be super hard on fuel with weight in it. And the V10...well that thing is a POS!

6. Azural Kane

Azural Kane Guest

As if "Flamethrower" somehow sounds less lame than "Powerstroke"? Not likely

7. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I saw a wicked window sticker the other day, it was in a dodge....

Id rather be cummin than strokin. lol

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Guest

My opinion only...I own a contruction company and I have to pull and Tow very large amounts, I live in nebraska so the climat can be extreme...The best powerstoke out there IMO is the 2002 7.3...that was the last year it was made, because all the bugs were figured out and that motor was finned tunned to perfection, there are cases of course, but in general...if you can find a real good 2002, (which I think will be hard) it will last a long time and you wont put the money into it like the newer ones....most people around in our community thats a "Farm" and Construction community...wont buy a new one...the bugs havent been worked out yet...lets just say that....lol

Fudd

9. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Ya, my situation is pretty tight here. Im an electrical contractor, without a truck right now. My current job, just took about 1800 off one of my invoices, and pretty much told me where to go, and that it was a recession. Not exactly what Id like to hear, or be treated. So Im gonna take another job....which sucks cause its kinda outta town for a while...and with the baby on the way, id perfer not. But would rather not get bent over the barrel. I was looking GM, but rebuilding front ends all the time, about every 40k, sucks. although the first one, maybe two might be warrenty, the rest wont.... and down time is a killer. So the ford is a tougher truck....im forced to go diesel with ford pretty much, its a nicer interior by far, more room. GM gets the ride factor, and the pull of the duramax, and the tough as nails allison. I think ill have around 500lbs-700lbs full time in the truck. With my 700lb Grizzly 700 in there aswell from time to time. So ya, constant weight, i might get better fuel economy from a diesel with CAI, and maybe a chip.

10. KinG DaviD

KinG DaviD Guest

I happend to work ata Ford Dealership in Southern Wisconsin. I was in sales for 5 years and have been in finance for the past 3 years. So my productknowledge may not be up to snuff as it once was. I agree that the 7.3 Powerstoke was probably one of the best engines ever made! Since i sit in a finance office all day everyday i dont get to hear as much mechanic talk as i used to. I can talk to our Senior Master Tech..who specializes in diesel engines for you.

Also, if you are in need of a truck, we deliver! we have a flat bed that delivers vehicles(along with all the paperwork) all over the midwest. Ocassionaly, we have delivered as far as California from S Wisconsin.

We have 5 dealerships...all American Brands! Ford-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Chevy-Cadillac-Lincoln-Mercury-POntiac-

if you dont feel the need to deal far away from your hometown..you can ask me any questions as far as financing and pricing go....least i can do is help make sure you get a good deal! :)

11. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Id hit ya up on that offer, but im up in canada. So dont really work out too well.

I think im getting a good price from my local dealer.

09 F350 Diesel
    FX4, Leather, Crew cab, 8' box, All the things that come with FX4 Luxury, no DVD :/ (want that for the baby)

Sticker is 68 and change (remember im canadian prices), sale price is 56. so around 12k off the inflated MSRP :p

Which works out to 1k a month for the truck, which aint bad IMO

I really wanted DVD in it. And its gonna be hard to get it added since the headrests are not changeable, since it has the high back captains chairs. Though they can go in, not sure what shop would hack the seat to get them in there.

12. Gellor

Gellor Guest

The flame thrower edition was a Ford screw up when they released the latest version of a diesel... look up ford flame exhaust in youtube:hahaha:

I believe the 7.3L was an International engine and not a Ford design (thank god)

Dodge diesel drivetrain is hands down the best... too bad there are quality issues the rest of the way through:eek:

13. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Thier motor has the most pull. That I6 is awsome. All Inlines are strong motors. But ya, the quality issues with the rest of the truck, push me away from it.

14. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Stay away form the 6.0 power stroke the are junk. Ford and International have a big law suit over the engine. The flames every one is talking about is from DFP crap the is reqired on all diesels made after Jan 07 Ford had some tuning problems when they first came out but that has long been fixed.. I have Duramax in my truck and I love it. If i was buying a new one ill be looking for a 07 gmc classic with LBZ engine. The GM come with the Alison trans too, it is the best truck transmission Period.

15. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

All the Ford power strokes are Internationals
    The transmissions in the the Dodges are weak.

16. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

The issue with the chevy/GMC is the weak front ends. Im from the oil patch. I drive down roads that have just been cleared with a skidder, and stumps pulled. These are not pavement, and not smooth. And even the established haul roads. One good rain, and they are messed up. Then they gotta wait for it to get hard again, and run the graders.

17. Gellor

Gellor Guest

I believe the last International in a Ford was the 7.3L. After that it was an all ford design. And yup, the flame thrower issue was fixed but still funny as hell... kind of sounds like the UO design team:hahaha:

The NV4500 and NV5600 are beyond strong... with only one issue on the NV4500 that was addressed(5th gear nut backing off) I do believe there is a bit of an issue with autos... but I don't drive those so I don't keep track of them:lick:

18. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

lol, I dont know what an NV4500 and 5600 are. I assume you are refering to the transmission. And mine would be an auto. Not that I cant drive a stick...the wife dont like it, and wont drive it :/ So much for me getting too drunk at functions and having her drive me home. lol

19. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

20. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

They have a tonne of the medium duty trucks here in town, for cheaper than a 3/4 tonne. However with those trucks, they are over 1 tonne, so when it rains a lot or in the spring time, there are road bans on for about a month, maybe a bit more. And nothing over 1 tonne is allowed down them. I just cant justify taking a 20k pay cut because I went to a solid front meduim duty

21. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

I just did some reading Dodge does have a new trans now 68RFE "Orion" Which is a beefed up version of the 48RFE. If you looking to put you own body on the truck get a 3500 chassis cab it has Aisin 6-speed auto it has a PTO if you need it.
    I would buy the Dodge over the Ford if I had to pick between the 2. Cummins is a great engine. I just retired my last Dodge It lasted me 17 years it still ran good but i just wanted some thing newer.
    I wont buy Ford trucks anymore they run great for 5 or 6 years after that they nickel and dime you to death. I never had one where the oil pan didn't rust out.