1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT: I don't know where to turn, please help.

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by archite666, Jun 2, 2009.

1. archite666

archite666 Guest

Ok first and foremost let me say that this is only a problem because I like to think of myself as a pretty knowledagable person and i'm quite curious which may be a reason for the former.

Anyway.

Here is my story. I was just at a gas station in San Angelo Texas. In walks a man dressed as a friar. A friar? Ok... thats interesting. His beard is that of one that has not been shaven in years, quite long and scruffy. Moments later, in walk two more of these men, same long unshaven beards.

Now these men wore no holy devices of any kind. Not a cross to be seen. The idea that they might be customes had crossed my mind but their beards fit the part too well.

They bought normal items: coffee, donuts, gas. They drove a minivan which seemed appropriate. Its almost 100 degrees outside and I believe no one would wear such an outfit without good reason.

I cannot recall any religous sect nor any recreational activity in the area that would call for such a outfit and so I am at a loss of understanding of these gentlemen.

My wife believes them to be jedi master but I'm not convinced, I have done searches on the internet and similar people have asked this question.

Here is a picture that best represents their garb. It was all the same color, no hood. No religous symbols as I mentioned. It did have the overlay which is pretty much an extra layer of fabric, like a long rectangle with a hole in the middle for you head.

[​IMG]

2. Black magick

Black magick Guest

Theres a secret society based off of Catholisism, that wears stuff like that. Can't remember what they are called, but they wear robes and crap to cover the torture devices they wear as a "sign of penance." Thats the only thing I can think of atm.

3. archite666

archite666 Guest

Your talking like flaggelents or some crap...

I don't think that fits, no crosses anywhere. Also they seemed pretty normal socially, then again maybe those kind of people DO seem normal since i'v never met one.

4. Druids maybe? IDK

5. Black magick

Black magick Guest

Opus Dei does the same, normal jobs, normal lives, just torture themselves along with go to mass (catholic church service for those who don't know). I don't think they wear robes though.

6. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Could have been monks.

7. archite666

archite666 Guest

driving a mini van? drinking coffee? I mean I don't know too much about the various monk orders but its baffling to say the least.

8. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I have been a buddhist. Vajrayana wear black; hinayana saffron, mahayana I have seen both. Don't think they were of that persuasion, especially with the beards. Could have been some other group- not necessarily catholic or christian

9. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

under cover black metalers, they have robes on cause they dont want the texas christians to see any of there baphomet tats of they will sacrifice them to jesus and thats totally lame fate for any black metaler .........

10. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Doesn't really sound like a problem, sounds more like you want to get up in someone's business. Which I guess is a problem, so I retract my first fragment.

There are things in life you most likely won't find the answers to, rest secure in the knowledge you already have and have the wisdom to realize sometimes you won't get the answer.

Sometimes you have to just shrug your shoulders and say *hmm*

11. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

considering mayhem and marduk are in the states!!!!!!!! mayhem is famous for burning churches...and sum murder between the 2 bands.... and i do believe that would have black metalers coming out of all sorts of places across the states and in an opressive area like texes i would hide my baphomet tats too
    also shaving is waaayy overrated

12. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Here's a thought: Ask them

13. Nurse Miss Maude

Nurse Miss Maude Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I've got to agree with this reply. You won't know about every religious sect ......unless they want to be known. I also doubt you would know of every recreational activity in the area and or surrounding areas, unless you were a member.

14. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

15. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Madness! You don't speak to robe-wearing-doughnut-eating-coffee-drinking-mini-van-driving folks...they might burn you with their laser eyes if you draw their attention on you!

-Skylark

16. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Heh, nice mental image there.

However, I speak to whomever I take a fancy to, much to my wife's chagrin!

:)

17. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

i have to agree with sky... i hear if u approach them on a day say like odinsday (hump day) and interigate them they might just try on ur skin

18. Mr.StinkyPants

Stratics Veteran

19. archite666

archite666 Guest

Nonsence!

I'm a curious fellow, 99% I have learned has come from asking questions!

I had intended to open a polite conversation and ask them as is my nature but was cut off by the wife...

Now looking at all the articles online of people asking about these kinds of people I wish I had asked.

20. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

and if your wife had let you talk to them?

[​IMG]

21. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

My sister brother in law is a Franciscan Friar he dresses like you described. basically they are a Catholic Priest. They have to eat and drive to get around like any one else.

22. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Heh.. gotta say the same. Talk about anti-social... Less UO.. more real life. It helps. ;)

23. archite666

archite666 Guest

Pshh I dont even play uo anymore

24. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Hmm long unshaven beards, unusual outfits, Texas and beyond ???

First *group* that comes to my mind with long unshaven beards and strange outfits is ....well

this surely may date me, cirica 1969 & forward, but maybe it was a cult group, of ZZ.

I probably would have looked really close at em, and if it was them in disquise, I would have asked them, for an autograph. :)

[​IMG]

[youtube]0_EFdod4YDo[/youtube]

25. Varka

Varka Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Option 1: Monks. The monks at the monestary up the road from where I live dress similar to that and often take "field trips" out in a van.

Option 2: A re-enactment group. I used to be involved in the S.C.A. and it would not be unusual for a bunch of us to dress up like that for a weekend event.

Option 3: The Illuminati have finally revealed themselves.

26. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Dude, maybe you should come back to uo if this what you are doing with your free time...

It's a great big world out there!

27. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

Legends...

28. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Did you happen to see any footwear? Sandels, shoes or boots?

29. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You cant post here then!

Anyone who doesnt play uo is banished from posting here! :cursing:

30. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

False, thats just what dumb people say...HAR!!

You know the really sad thing about that though?If the people who didn't play uo quit posting here it would be more dead then SP...:eyes:

31. archite666

archite666 Guest

A local told me today that they are indeed monks that live in a " hermitage"

And for the record, just because I don't actively play in the last 2 weeks, doest mean I stopped paying for my....uh....

cash, gabriel.....jenny....nessa....umm....aphrodite...anyone else.... oh yeah.. siege pride....

As I was saying just because I havent played doest mean I stopped paying for my 6 accounts!