1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT: Kittens!

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Skylark SP, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Currently sharing my bathroom with this mob...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone dumped them behind our church building 9 days ago (at least that is when we found them)...they were in bad shape, but are bouncing back with care. The local Humane Society told me they were too young to go into their adoption program and would be immediately euthanized if they took them, so I went with plan B...bathroom kitties!

A couple I know will be taking the black and white one, and most likely the one with the white ring of fur around its neck...that leaves 2 more to find homes for. One of them has bend in its tail, about 2 inches from the tip, and the tip looks like it was dipped in white paint, so cute! Fortunately they are all very cuddly and friendly, and that should make it easier to find the remaining ones homes.

Wish I could :twak: the jerk who tossed them out like garbage to die...this is the 2nd batch of 4 kittens my family has been saddled with in the last couple of months.

-Skylark

2. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

[​IMG]

i just picked up those 2 lil rascals... Jordan is the all black one and Brady is the White and Black. I picked their names bc Jordan has his tounge out all the time pretty much like Micheal Jordan did when he went for a dunk. Brady got Brady bc I love the patriots and he was watching the pats game with me and turned his head when I asked if he liked Tom Brady... :) They are a handful at night though!

3. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Heh, some cats are just prone to sticking their tongues out just like some dogs always seem to have one ear turned inside out. It is definitely cute.

I have noticed that with kittens, and yours seem to be no exception, that even if there is no convenient toy in reach, there is always your sibling's tail to attack. :p

-Skylark

4. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Excatly, I only had intended on getting one kitten, but once I got there and took him away from his brother he started crying and I said ahh screw it Ill take both :) But Im glad I did I live on my own and at least when Im not here they will have each other for company to terrorize my house :p :mf_prop:

5. MaceAho

MaceAho Guest

Just got back from the vet 135 bucks on the new kitten and we still don't know if she will make it *crosses fingers*

6. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

aww well goodluck i hope she makes it through!!!

*Prays* :sad3:

7. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Cats are the evil spawn of Satan :gun::gun::gun:

8. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

I hope kitty pulls through! :(

@Shh!

Want this one?

[​IMG]

:D

-Skylark

9. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Here is the gang as of this morning. They are really growing!

[​IMG]

-Skylark

10. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Ack, no. In fact, since you are such a cat person, perhaps you can tell me of a humane way to "dispose" of a bunch of strays that my idiot next door neighbor feels the need to feed. They come over and use my mulch bed as their litter box and I am about to forget the "humane" part of disposing of them.

11. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

If you truly want them gone, try calling animal control. It depends on your county, but some animal control departments will come and set out humane cage traps and remove the cats if they are successful in catching them, but some have a policy to ignore stray cats unless they appear injured or diseased or have actually bitten/scratched someone.

Beyond that, there are things you can try to keep the cats off your property. You can buy special non-toxic compounds to sprinkle or spray in your flower beds. The scent of the chemicals is repellent to cats, dogs, and other animals. I think one brand is called Get Off My Garden! If you don't want to have to keep buying products that are disposable, there is also a product called Cat Stop that is an ultrasonic alarm with an infrared motion sensor. It is on a stake and you just put it out in the garden. The motion sensor triggers a loud burst of ultrasonic sound that is inaudible to humans but would startle a cat enough to get it to leave the area...it might also affect dogs and other animals that can hear in that frequency range, which would not be a problem if your garden is off limits to all animal visitors.

-Skylark

12. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Hooray for bathroom kittens!!
    [​IMG]
    *giggles*
    @Shh!
    In addition to Sky's sugestions, you can also purchase a motion activated sprinkler. Or if you can catch them just drop them off at AC.

13. Førsaken

Førsaken Guest

14. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

OT, but I gotta ask...

Did you murder someone in your tub? What's with all the funky stains?

15. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

LOL...when I posted that in another forum I actually explained the state of the bathtub in advance. It is the one that was originally installed in the house I live in when it was built, and the house is over 40 years old. The pretty shiny porcelain finish was etched, and damaged long ago. So, without having to worry about damaging it further, I just nuke everything in the bathroom with chlorine bleach & scrub it, so it is very clean but the end result as you observed, looks like I am sanitizing a crime scene. I'd love to get a new tub but I don't want some cheap fiberglass piece of junk as a replacement, and can't afford a remodel right now to get what I want, so I'm stuck with the funky white streaks on the inside of my clean, but ugly porcelain tub. :)

-Skylark

16. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Have you ever thought of getting it re-enameled? or is that as expensive as replacing it?

17. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Yup, I have looked into it in a sort of half hearted manner in the past...there are several companies in my area that offer that type of service, it seems to have 2 options...the process that actually can put a finish on the tub close to the original requires that essentially the house needs to be vacant a couple of days because the noxious acids and other chemicals they have to use to first prep the surface, then cure it. The advantages are that such a process results in a finish that will last for years. It costs a few hundred dollars - cheaper than installing a new tub. The other process is "environmentally friendly" and does not require vacating the house, but the results, from what I understand are less than spectacular. Since the current appearance of the tub doesn't affect either the use or cleanliness, and I am rather practical about such things, I haven't really felt a pressing need to do anything about it. If I had people visiting and staying with me that had to use the tub a lot, it would be different but when I have guests over for dinner and such, that may have a use for the front bathroom, I just pull the pretty shower curtain closed and presto, ugly tub goes away. The outside surface is still nice and shiny. :D

-Skylark

18. CountLovE

CountLovE Guest

Too bad you can't PK them.

19. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Cats?
    Depending on where you live you can.
    Just look up your local laws and also look at state and federal humane laws as well. Better a quick humane death than the suffering that happens because of human apathy or downright cruelty.

Outdoor and indoor/outdoor cats tend to have half the lifespan of an indoor cat.

Over 80% of outdoor intact tom cats are FIV+.

There are however many TNR programs that are quite sucessfull and more vets
    are tipping ears to identify the altered and vaccinated.

20. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Kittehs = Korean veal

21. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Guest

Which reminds me of this crazy lady who brought in a cat at the local Santa Monica 711 and having a fit with the Indian clerks who were all fired up by her arrogance. All of a sudden this customer starts yelling profanities, " You Crazy ***** !! This is against health regulations !! ". And he was right! I'm allergic to those dust bunnies, yeah they might be cute and cuddly, but still, that doesn't give you the right to bring them into public places. She was a nut case, and that's So Cal for ya, the land of Fruits and nuts!

LoL .... Poor Scottie!!

22. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Your post kinda confused me but I do remember calling PD because an AM/PM clerk would not give me my change for gas because I had my service dog with me. He wanted me to leave my dog outside. Officer showed up about 10 minutes after my call as I waited just aside the register. They explained "that dog can go anywhere she wants to". I do not support FALSE service animals. However your "dust bunnies" ??? my dog is 1/10th the dander/allergen producer as anyone who just has pets and carry there fur and dander on there clothing.

To further the topic my best friend has COPD (among other things) and was supposed to be dead years ago. I can't name how many times we have gone to a movie, at the end of the movie when they see the dogs then the allergic reactions (or perhaps it's physcosomatic) kick in.

I do not intend to belittle allergys my niece will go into aniphlatic shock from most nuts.

23. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

OK...I've got homes lined up for 3 of them...I just have to find someone to take this last little guy.

[​IMG]

-Skylark

24. Daleth

Daleth Guest

I have my own "kitty" tale. Yesterday during class I get like 6 text messages from my dau, so I go out in the hall. Our cat was pregnant and began giving birth and the whole house was in an uproar. All said and done there are 3 new kitties in our house today (sorry no pics yet), My 12 yr old son told me after watching the cat give birth that when he gets married he is never going to let his wife get pregnant, lol.

M

25. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

:D

-Skylark

26. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Mail him to me. *nods*

27. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Please no more kitty pics, or you risk turning me into this lady! :eek:

Don't worry, I only have one atm! lol I love the kitteh's tho!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASG6r9rhwcE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ASG6r9rhwcE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

28. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If Baby Pickaxe wasn't allergic to cats, I would take that cutie! Sometimes I miss my cats!

29. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Brb...need to poke a few more holes in this shoe box before I send Kelmo his "care" package. :D

LOL.

The final kitty needing adoption is in fact the biggest, strongest, and feistiest of the bunch (the female black and white is the next friskiest but she is the tiniest). This morning, I was in the lions' den TRYING to brush my teeth, and then clean up a bit and they were being psychos leaping all over and crashing into each other and climbing me...who would think 3 kittens could sound like a herd of stampeding elephants! Big Boy gets the other two (I still have them for the moment, their new family is picking them up next Tues) wound up, and then they are all psycho. So finally, I scooped him up and popped him inside the carrier they like to sleep in, and closed the door. Instant silence in the lions' den! What was funny is that for the 5 minutes while he was locked down in The Big House, and I was scrubbing the toilet in peace, the other two were lying in front of the carrier touching paws with him through the bars...the one with the white ruff around her neck was pulling on the spring latch, trying to bust him out. They are all SO smart. In his pic, it looks like he has a spot of dirt by his nose but is actually a little splotch of multicolored fur, mostly orange. It is so cute. I can't say it is his beauty mark since he is a boy, so I guess it is his "distinguishing" mark. Finally, I opened the door to the carrier releasing the calm, and now purring prisoner. After a bit of cuddling, he was ready to pounce on his siblings again.

I think they were off balance a bit when their other brother left with his new family the other night, and I think they still look around for him now and then, puzzled, but they adjusted well to the change. I know I had a bit of a hard time with it...they are all adorable, but the one that left first was my favorite with his little white tipped bent tail, and big purr.

-Skylark

30. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Imagine the smell of that flat.

31. HaHa

HaHa Guest

.. and FYI i like the ******* without hair, like this one

[​IMG]

32. Calibretto

Calibretto Guest

I hate cats.

[​IMG]

They make me sneeze!

33. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Well I gave them all another bath this afternoon and thoroughly cleaned the lions' den. They are all napping in a pile in the carrier now after their "ordeal". I took a pic of big boy right after his bath for his "please adopt me" poster I am putting up in the local pet store. His eyes are losing their baby blue, and starting to turn green.

[​IMG]

-Skylark

34. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

So uh... where do you live? I is want kitten! :D

35. damn man, bout spit up my beer when I read that. You are so right about the "Spawn of Satan"

All I hear in my neighborhood is the crying of a female Cat being poked, so annoying, I almost threw a shoe. :yell: lol

36. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

I r in FL!

-Skylark

37. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

WHAT about the poor hungry Gators in Florida didnt you think this nice porsil of cats meat could keep one of the less fortunate baby gators from starving?

*Sings Circle of Life Song From The Lion King*

38. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Well...the 2 princesses will be leaving with their new family a bit after 7 p.m. tonight. Wonder how big boy is going to do all by his lonesome in the lions' den...well it will actually be the lion's den after tonight I guess!

I'm off work tomorrow, so I will be putting up the flyer advertising his cuteness at the pet store finally. I put my 1337 marketing skills to work, and described him as a Litter Box All-Star in the flyer. It is true, not a single "potty" accident since I have been keeping him. :D

-Skylark

39. Aran

Aw, you and your stupid distance :(

I'm in PA.

40. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

LOL...nerf geography!!! :D

-Skylark

41. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The 'poor hungry gators' should get to chomp the creep that dumped them.

42. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

But then the gators might get food poisoning. :D

And the little guy didn't do so well last night. He had never been alone, and was clinging to me like a barnacle after his sisters were gone. I finally had to peel him off and toss him in the lion's den and shut the door hoping he would go to sleep with the stuffed animal we put in his bed. No such luck...poor sad kitty cried a lot, and he did not eat during the night (that's a first!). :(

This morning, he is tearing through the house like a psycho kitty. He really does not know what to do without siblings around. Toys are getting pwned though.

-Skylark

43. Falon of Eldor

Stratics Veteran

Update please!

44. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Little dumplin' is still with me. He is so precious...he reaches up with both front paws to be picked up, just like a little kid. I have held off calling him by a name but Velcro Kitty is starting to be a default label. :p

I gave him his 3rd bath in 3 weeks in the bathroom sink yesterday, and held him in a towel on my lap to dry, and comb him. He fell asleep during the process and napped on my lap for around an hour afterward.

He is so much fun to watch. I gave him a crinkly heavy plastic candy wrapper yesterday to play with, and he stalked it and batted it around for a good while...then fell asleep with his stuffed elephant toy and blanky in the middle of the living room floor. :D

He is old enough to adopt but he is still a baby...he still wants the comfort of nursing even though he has been eating dry food the last 3 weeks, and sometimes will knead the palm of my hand with his paws and suck on my fingers.

I am amazed at how good he has been with the litter box. Yesterday he was happily playing, and suddenly went tearing off to the bathroom...a few seconds later I heard "scratch scratch scratch" in the litter box. He knows when he needs to go, and he knows where to go to do it. Not one "potty" accident in the 3 weeks I have had him.

I placed an ad for his adoption on petsads.com in addition to the flyer on the adoption board at the local Petsmart, but so far no activity.

-Skylark

45. AutumnKiss

AutumnKiss Guest

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered (I didn't see it anywhere), but why aren't you keeping him? He's bonded to you, and you to him...

I'd take him, but I fear he would not survive the post office trip to MA. :sad4:

46. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

I would keep him if I lived alone, but 2 family members are allergic to cats. As a temporary situation I have been able to mitigate it by frequent cleaning, bathing him once a week, and keeping him off the beds for example, and confined to one room at night, but as a way of life that would be hard to keep up. :sad4:

He has had a thorough checkup and blood workup at the vet - tested negative for FIV and leukemia, and had a full parasite workup and his first vaccines. He is too young to neuter, but aside from that, he is all set to go for his new home.

-Skylark

47. Aran

Hm. My grandma's going to be in Florida (near Tampa, I think) in a month or two, but she's flying both ways, or I'd say I'd have you send him home with her if you still have him.

Goddamn that's an adorable kitty.

48. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Muahahahaha...let the parade o' cuteness begin!

These are recent...

This is what I see looking up at me quite often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He prefers laps for naps, but when he is deeply asleep you can sneak him on to the couch or something and escape. :D

-Skylark

49. Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran

Terrorizing the candy wrapper...

[​IMG]

-Skylark