1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT: LCD TV's

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Lord_Puffy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=218258&cc_fm=Toolbox+Cart

Im looking at going to buy this in the next hour, Ive been researching LCD's for the last couple months. And this seems to have the best specs/reviews for the price/size/company. Not sure if any of you out there have this TV right there, or have any input on it. It would be greatly apprecaited.

I think I got about 2 hours. So hurry please! :) :lick:

2. ChumBucket

ChumBucket Guest

Only one thing to comment on, as I don't know much about the TV itself... Circuit City is closing many locations, so make sure the location you are buying from is NOT one that is closing. Purchases made in the stores that are closing have no refunds/exchanges, as they are technically owned by a "closeout" company. They won't advertise this fact, so be careful.

3. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

yes I did know this, do you think they may start selling stuff super cheap then?

4. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

Get A Viszio...

5. ChumBucket

ChumBucket Guest

Actually, quite the contrary. "Going out of Business" companies usually jack the prices back UP to regular price, then slowly take small percentages off. They just cover the sticker price with their own prices, and call it a sale, preying on the folks who think "sale" means "bargain". Most of the supposed "Going out of Business" sales are just hype, unfortunately.

6. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Last year my 2 top pick where a Sony and a Samsung. You have to look at them to find the best picture. And go to several places be cause a lot of the time the set might not look it best because they dont have them set up right in the show room.

Look here there lot of information.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

That is a good price on that set.

7. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

8. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Not a bad TV but also not the best deal available. It has the 120Hz and 4ms response time so you wont have the "trailers" during sporting events that LCDs have been dogged on for the past few years when comparing to plasmas. I helped my father find a deal on a Sharp Aquos 42" last month with the same specs for just under $1000. So there are better TVs with better prices out there. My next TV will likely be a Pioneer Kuro though, just gotta wait for year end bonus time in January to grab it.

9. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

10. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

If it in you area get Fios TV the picture is 1000x better than Comcast. The SD Fios almost looks better than Comcast HD.

11. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

Don't by cables at Best buy they a rip off. Don't buy their hype about the monster cables Hd is digital the signal is either there or not

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp good prices on cables.

12. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

yes fios rocks ii will call and figure it out and see if it is avaiable, i cant wait till the last week of football ill have everythign surround sound... hdtv dvr box... goign to be sweet :) hope the pats make the playoffs

13. MatrixCubed

MatrixCubed Guest

Yeah we got FIOS alright...only Verizon sold the network to FairPoint after giving up on unentrenching Comast. You can get the internet and phone but no TV...I signed up early and got the 15 meg up 5 down for 49 bucks a month...still stuck with Comcast tv. I got like 4 hops to the uo servers but other than that no big deal...FairPoint serves ups only Direct TV...Originally Verizon 'promised to have tv in April...2006! Fail..

14. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Ah thanks, I apprecaited it, I hooked it to my xbox 360 last night and it looked amazing. I didntk now xbox had HDMI cables lol. But either way Im very happy with picture quality

15. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I know this is too late to help you Puffy, but maybe it will help anyone else thinking of buying an LCD right now...

Laser TV's will be out in force at the beginning of 2009. The prices of LCD's will be dropping about the same time.

http://laser-tv.org/

Might consider waiting a bit.

16. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p in anything less than 47" might be able to save yourself a couple bucks there.

Samsung is a good brand.

17. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

I bought an LCD once I found one with a wide viewing angle (the primary fault of LCD). I ended up with a Sony after comparing them in person. Also, I bought from Costco because they add a year to the warranty (which American express then doubles when using the card) and Costco has a 90 day return policy.

18. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Nice thanks to everyoen for their input I apprecaite it, I ended up going with the Samsung 40" 6 series, 120 hz, 1080p, 50,000 : 1 contrast, 4 ms rerfesh rate. Also has 4 HDMI ports, A PC one as welll.

As I stated earlier the picture quality is phenomenal. I cannot wait to pick up my HD DVR box tomorrow and get it all hooked up.

Im glad I waited 3 months and did some research before I just went out and spent 1500.00 bucks. Im pretty sure I got the best bang for my buck and wont be buying another for hopefully at least 5 years.

Thanks again :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8749456&type=product&id=1202649424760

Thats her :)