1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT: On the list of things you should not do...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Rykus, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Rykus

Rykus Guest

This is a public service announcement.

When you are cutting a wall while doing any kind of remodeling, please make VERY certain that your phone/data cable is not hidden anywhere behind the sheetrock.

That is all.

2. Daleth

Daleth Guest

3. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

Phones can use cables nowadays?

Also, it helps if you're the one that's strung every data cable in your home.

4. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Also, just make that a convenient place to end the cable with a port. Inside the wall.

Then re-end the other half.

Future archeologists will deduce that you lived on the inside of the wall.

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Nice Tech tip there, Mod... :lol:

6. Rykus

Rykus Guest

:)

Great way to start things off..

"Uh, sorry I was late to the Tech forum, I cut the little cable that brings internet into my house."

:dunce:

7. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

If my past experience in tech support has taught me nothing else, it's that the internet is a program on your computer. You should call your ISP, inform them that your copy of the internet is broken, and spend 2 hours demanding the tech do something about it.

8. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Well, fortunately one of my neighbors has an unsecured WRT54G Linksys router within range of my house, which is how I was able to post while my primary copy of the internet was not functional. :)

Now I need to go walk the neighborhood with my laptop to find out who exactly needs help securing their router. They have 3 PCs connected to it via a wired connection, a wifi connected laptop, and an iPhone. Maybe they will want me to help them, for a nominal fee of course, remove all the malware they no-doubt have after leaving themselves essentially unprotected.

9. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

haahahahhha dork :poh well at least u didn't get fried cutting a power cable

10. Rykus is a mah-odd! Rykus is a mah-odd!!

*gleefully dances about, tossing confetti and cheering*

High bloody time, my friend! :-D

11. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I hate it when my friends become mods. They all end up hating me :wall:

12. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Thanks Dor :)

No worries Ru, I'm not a mod here, just in the UO Tech forums, where I can teach others how NOT to do things... *coughs*

13. Quira

Quira Guest

Ohhh... I just cannot resist this... seems like a good place for a Belgians joke...

Sooo... the Russians dug a hole... 100 m deep (about 300 ft), they found copper fragments and published an article: "It turns out that 1000 years ago Russians used copper wires to implement internet networks!"

The Americans dug a hole too... 200 m deep (you get the picture, 600 ft), they found glass like... or perhaps sand, who can tell... structures. So they too published an article: "What'ya know, 2000 years ago the Americans had glass fiber for their networks!"

The Belgians too dug a hole. Got an American excavator, ran it on Russian gasoline, dug 300 m deep, found absolutely -nothing-. And published an article: "Belgians have always been ahead of technology, turns out that 3000 years ago they already had wireless networks!"

Ok, sorry about this...
    I could just have said: get a wireless network... I guess.

Kind regards

14. *grins* Good one! :-D

15. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I need assistance with my Wi-Fi system! :D

I too am unsecured...and anyone can connect to my router. I have a wireless router connected to my router, and the server machine is Windows XP, but my girlfriends laptop is Windows Vista.

I did everything right setting up the WEP, I think, and am left to conclude that XP and Vista aren't compatible for WEP use... I'm sure I'm wrong, so what can I do? :)

16. Do what I did! :)

Buy some ethernet cables and use 'em - then completely nuke (lock off)the wireless function. I had to do that when I had a sneaky ass of a houseguest with very bad habits...and it's worked like a charm, ever since. :)

17. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah but whats the point in a portable computer if it is tethered to a router?

I did the next best thing I could think to do... I made it so the main router only assigns 3 IP addresses maximum, one for the wireless router, and one for each of our computers. That way, if anyone tries to connect, they will not get an IP address and will fail.

The only problem with this is when the laptop is off, it leaves a free IP slot availble to connect with.

18. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Some of the routers have the ability to allow access by MAC address. If yours does, you could set it up so only your computers can access the wireless router by defining their mac addresses

19. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Sounds like a great topic for the new UO Tech forum! :)

Please hit the link in my sig, and re-post over there. Will be happy to answer in full.

20. Amanda Shade

Amanda Shade Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

this is actually a very good method for securing your wireless. A couple of others:

1. Do not use WEP. It can be cracked in a matter of seconds my a guy on the street with the right software. Use at a minimum WPA-TKIP.

2. Hide your SSID. No sense publishing to the world that you have a wireless connection. As long as you know what your connection is called, you can still find and connect to it.

3. I REALLY like MAC address filtering though. If you have an environment where people are not likely to come over with their own laptop and want to connect, then this lockdown is really good.

21. Rykus

Rykus Guest

You can indeed do this, but it is not a difficult task to spoof a MAC address, so this is not exactly true security. It works when other methods are not available, and is absolutely better than nothing. However, if a person is determined to gain access to a network protected only by MAC filtering, or WEP, it is easier to do than you might think.

22. Rykus

Rykus Guest

I agree, but you may want to re-evaluate your faith in MAC filtering. :) A 13-year old with a little time on his hands, and a Pringles can could really ruin your day.

23. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I think I am going to like the UO Geek forum... Shamus and Rykus already made my head explode.

24. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have one of these boxes on my house
    [​IMG]

25. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

If you want to avoid hitting wires, avoid studs. 95% of wiring jobs follow the wood because hanging wire is

A) A pain in the ass to navigate, especially if trying to daisy chain off one circuit throughout a room.
    and
    B) Against regulation in most states.

26. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

A friend of mine in college did that with an electrical line; booze and home re-modeling do not mix:). Once it was apparent he was ok, we all had a good laugh over it and found someone else to man the saw!