1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[OT]Online divorcee jailed after killing virtual hubby

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Patty Pickaxe, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Online divorcee jailed after killing virtual hubby

By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press

TOKYO: A 43-year-old Japanese woman whose sudden divorce in a virtual game world made her so angry that she killed her online husband's digital persona has been arrested on suspicion of hacking, police said Thursday.

The woman, who is jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his identification and password to log onto popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May, a police official in northern Sapporo said on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.

The woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world, the official said.

She has not yet been formally charged, but if convicted could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

Players in "Maple Story" raise and manipulate digital images called "avatars" that represent themselves, while engaging in relationships, social activities and fighting against monsters and other obstacles.

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character. The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.

:coco:
    Discuss.

2. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Guest

it takes all kinds. I recall a woman in Japan committing suicide, and leaving a note to her television, since it was her only companion. People have forgotten how to live.

3. Goron

Goron Guest

Gosh, I'd hate to be one of those crazy MMOGers... :mf_prop:

4. -Whiskey-

-Whiskey- Guest

ya i should call the cops on someone driving a mazda. it was moving so fast that i got hit and died and i thought i was fast in my geo metro. sheesh Kids these days.

5. Zip

Zip Guest

Attached Files:

• wtf.jpg
      wtf.jpg
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Shakaja

Shakaja Guest

pffft, everybody knows you have a tuned mazda yourself, stop trying to fool us rolleyes:

7. -Whiskey-

-Whiskey- Guest

Dont try to hide this all under the rug Shak,. Putting blame on others to make you not feel as guilty..

8. Shakaja

Shakaja Guest

take yourself up on your own advise rolleyes:

9. -Whiskey-

-Whiskey- Guest

advice?. Ha i would never advise.. you cannot be trusted

10. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

All I want to know is did she loot him dry after she killed him?

11. GoodGuy

GoodGuy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

the japanese have a totally different culture than us and who knows maybe those two people really had a meaningful and deep relationship that isn't exactly being translated well into the story.

So then they get in a fight, break up, and she is devasted enough to log on and kill his character? thats not all that crazy dang

seriously there have been siege players that would do A LOT worse to the people they simply just dont like in this game if they had access to their accounts

12. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Patty is that a warning to E?

13. HaHa

HaHa Guest

...and without them i wouldnt have half my material

14. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Guest

that's funny