1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

OT: Rolled Tide

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Shh!, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

31-20. That is all. :bowdown:

2. Rifanil

Rifanil Guest

Heckuva game - those are two very good teams. Best game I've seen in a while.

3. Black magick

Black magick Guest

O yea! Gators! Gators! Gators!

4. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, a great game. I've always been in favor of a playoff system but if there ever was a year that showed the need for one, this is it. Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, Texas, USC, Texas Tech and Penn State: any one of those teams could win it. Oh, what could have been :sad4:

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

It was a great game. Gl to Florida in the NC game. 12-1 is nothing to sneeze at esspecially from a team that was expected to do no better than second or third in thier division. They played lights out against the most talented damned team in the country.

Roll Tide!

6. Rifanil

Rifanil Guest

I'm a little on the fence on the playoff question. I do enjoy the "Don't lose a game or you're in trouble" sense of the regular season. But I agree with you this year - there are a lot of match-ups it's a shame we're not going to see.

7. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I USED to think the same way but above and beyond missing some great match ups, what changed my mind was the stupidity of how teams are ranked. I hate the fact that the earlier you lose, the better off you are. That really shouldn't matter but until a playoff system is put into place, rankings will always be flawed.

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I'm just dissappointed that non bcs teams get to play in prestigous bowls like
    the Sugar bowl. I'm sorry but Utah and Boise state's bodies of work do not stack up to the likes of Bama, Texas, USC, Penn State, etc. I am sure most of the country would rather see Bama Vs. Texas instead of watching Utah get taken behind the woodshed just like last yeards non BCS conference school got it in the Sugar Bowl.

P.S. I would not mind seeing a 4 team play off myself.

9. Rifanil

Rifanil Guest

The stupidity of the rankings doesn't bother me much anymore. I can't justify that at all, but it just doesn't.

Even with a playoff, the 'best team' can have an off day, lose a key player, or just end up playing a team that isn't as talented or as 'good', but matches up with their weakness perfectly. It's no guarantee that the best team always wins; its what makes the first couple rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament so much fun (for me anyway).

There are two things that keep pulling me back to a playoff - 1) to have a champion, it seems like there should be something approximating head-to-head competition, and 2) it might give us some better match ups early in the season if a loss isn't so catastrophic (I kinda doubt it, but still...)

The thing that pulls me away from it is that I do believe the regular season in Division I is unique. Producing the level of consistency required to go undefeated through 12-14 games is a pretty high bar. Especially with the age of the players and the physical nature of the game. I don't like the idea of losing that.